Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 17 of 128 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Weird thing to be debating on a thread about Martin O'Neil and Roy Keane, but Crackbird is excellent. It's basically premium chicken in a bucket. Tastes great, sides are a bit weak (potatoe salad is nice as long as you're ok with it being cold). Sauces go from mild to super spicy (I'm a fan of spice so would go for the habanero side myself). It's not touristy at all (although tourists will of course end up there due to it's proximity to Temple Bar) and you don't have to book a table via Twitter or any other means — just walk in. It is hipstery, but who cares, you're getting delicious chicken.

So... Roy Keane, eh?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Do CrackBird do prawn buckets as well? IS premium, like VIP chicken?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    Weird thing to be debating on a thread about Martin O'Neil and Roy Keane, but Crackbird is excellent. It's basically premium chicken in a bucket. Tastes great, sides are a bit weak (potatoe salad is nice as long as you're ok with it being cold). Sauces go from mild to super spicy (I'm a fan of spice so would go for the habanero side myself). It's not touristy at all (although tourists will of course end up there due to it's proximity to Temple Bar) and you don't have to book a table via Twitter or any other means — just walk in. It is hipstery, but who cares, you're getting delicious chicken.
    the potato croquettes are good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Did anyone watch Keane and Viera: Best of Enemies last night? It's available to watch on ITV Player at the minute and I understand RTÉ will also be broadcasting it on the 18th: https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/keane-...est-of-enemies

I certainly enjoyed it and I think taking Roy less seriously than I once might have aided that; it's bravado really. Obviously, I was more concerned with the Keane side of the documentary as it offered a captivating insight into his competitive and resolute character. I sense his tough exterior is ultimately driven by an internal insecurity and an inner need to "maintain face". Indeed, he goes as far as admitting that he is and always was driven by fear.

It is clear he felt stung by the falling out with Alex Ferguson and evidently still harbours so much bitterness that he found it nigh impossible to utter positive words for his former manager. Ferguson's biggest weakness, according to Keane, is his lack of loyalty. No doubt, that opinion was coloured by personal experiences later in his career. When asked to identify Ferguson's greatest strength, he almost scoffs with derision as the best he can offer is what he perceives to be Ferguson's ruthlessness. He even said he felt insulted by the words Ferguson used to praise his towering performance away to Juventus in 1999; his outright rejection of the compliment just seemed like petty overcompensation to me, in case he'd be seen to be "letting his guard down" or "going soft" with the grudge. When actually asked who the best manager under whom he played was, there was a contrived silence before he answered simply, "Brian Clough". That just seemed rather disingenuous, as if to suggest that Ferguson, under whom he'd won virtually everything there was to play for at the top of the English game time and time again, wasn't even worth consideration.

In fairness to Roy, he did admit to crying after his time at Old Trafford came to a sudden end. However, just in case you thought this might be an indication of weakness, he assures that it was merely a few tears shed for only two minutes in the car before getting on with his life.

And he does regret not having played in the 2002 World Cup, after all:

When asked if there was one thing he would again in his career, he exhibited maturity in hindsight by answering: "Play in the [2002] World Cup. It would have been nice to play", before adding, "Mick did say to me that 'Well if you don’t respect me, how can you play for me?' What I should have said was that I wasn’t playing for him. I was playing for my country."

Interestingly, he'd also held otherwise-agreeable talks with Bayern Munich and Juventus when his United contract was running out but was happy at United at the time and never felt strongly enough to go. Looking back now, he said he partially regretted not having experienced playing beyond Ireland and the UK.

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I watched it to the end and enjoyed it. I was all prepared for the worst and expected me to last 5 or 10 minute watching it. But that Vieira chap was just so charming

2 bits stood out for me that Charlie Danny has already highlighted. When asked what his preparation or motivation or something would be for an upcoming Man U Arsenal fixture, Keane said 'fear', 'fear of losing' that's what kept him in focus.
    And 'fear of what', the 'what' was understood to mean something really hellish, in the dark pits of Roy's dungeons.
    The other bit was regret about the World Cup, which he virtually said that he should have separated his dispute with McCarthy from himself as captain playing for his country. Which I think most everybody can agree on.
    Last edited by geysir; 11/12/2013 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I enjoyed it. Better than the football that preceded it as well.

Keane clearly rated Irwin as well when they were debating who should slot in as LB for a combined Man Utd/Arsenal 11. Irwin was bloody fantastic for United. Solid every game.

Keane/Fergie fall out is like a marriage that goes sour, they will now only focus on the bits that went wrong in the relationship whenever asked. A great partnership that ended in tears.........
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    The other bit was regret about the World Cup, which he virtually said that he should have separated his dispute with McCarthy from himself as captain playing for his country. Which I think most everybody can agree on.
    Very much agree with the above.

You could see the massive regret he had on his face when he spoke about it IMO on doing what he did back then and not waiting till post tournament to express his discontent at whatever issues he felt needed to be addressed.

Overall it was a good show - although at times i thought it was called "Keane & Ferguson - Best of enimies" as it seemed a bit keane central imo and too much of alex fergusons book was brought into it, it was meant to be about 2 of the greatest club captains of a generation and their individual and team battles with each other.

Wasnt sure about some of roys picks for his best team - some of his picks seemed more like he was picking them because they also felt out with ferguson rather than picking them for their ability
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I have a feeling ITV Player won't work outside of the UK, but the documentary is also on YouTube now split into five parts:

Excuse my misspelling of Vieira's name above, by the way. I'm blaming the ITV website, from where I copied and pasted the title. You'd think they'd have gotten the name of one of the central protagonists correct...

Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    2 bits stood out for me that Charlie has already highlighted.
    Charlie?!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

Charlie?!
    Sorry about that John, but did you really have to inflict the ?! on us?

12. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Excuse my misspelling of Vieira's name above, by the way.
    Sony made the same mistake when they named a TV after him.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Overall it was a good show - although at times i thought it was called "Keane & Ferguson - Best of enimies" as it seemed a bit keane central imo and too much of alex fergusons book was brought into it, it was meant to be about 2 of the greatest club captains of a generation and their individual and team battles with each other.
    I think it was always going to be that way. Keane is the much more defiant, contentious and opinionated personality of the two (himself and Vieira), which is great for unearthing further source material and boosting subsequent ratings. He's not only unafraid of offending, he actively goes out of his way to be the principled and contrary hard-man.

Wasnt sure about some of roys picks for his best team - some of his picks seemed more like he was picking them because they also felt out with ferguson rather than picking them for their ability
    Who would you have dropped and who would you have replaced them with? I thought it a pretty strong team, even if it was very personality-driven. That's not to imply that mentality isn't just as crucial to success in football as technical ability, of course. Nevertheless, you could probably argue that Gary Neville, Scholes and Giggs might have been deserving of places over Parker, Ince and Ronaldo. Do you sense Keane's estimation of former team-mates might have fallen as a result of their maintaining of loyalty to Fergie until their retirement?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I thought it was quite good. I don't know why they had Keane rapping over 'Still Dre' for ages though, none of it even rhymed.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The RTÉ Panel discuss the Keane-Vieira documentary:

I think it's interesting they point out that whilst the "sophisticated" Vieira was motivated by the positive forces of hope, belief, passion and heart, Keane was driven by much darker forces; hatred and fear.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Brady says that Keane went out of his way to say so many bad things about Ferguson.
    For a start, I'd say the documentary program was obviously edited and edited in such a way to try and fit in Keane's comments about Ferguson and questions were edited out.
    Another issue is that the program needed a good selling point to catch world attention, what better selling point than the exclusive on Keane replying to Ferguson's book. In that context, Brady's comment was idiotic. This was a documentary probably planned for 60 minutes and I'd speculate that it went to the 90 minute mark (incl adverts) specifically to give Keane the floor to reply to Ferguson's book.
    One part of the documentary was Keane Vieira the other part was Keane Ferguson and it wasn't edited well, Keane's comments about Ferguson didn't fit in well with the Keane Vieira bit. It was like a crude cut and paste job.
    Brady thought Keane was wrong to say what he said, but did Brady also think Ferguson was wrong? if not, he didn't say so.
    As it stands, Brady either believes that Ferguson made fair comment or that Keane has little or no right to reply in turn.
    Not that I care about that particular war of words between Keane and Ferguson. Keane was well compensated when Man U terminated his contract and he didn't have 2 years left in him as a player, he played for Celtic for a few months and that was it.

Dunphy's liver is either taxed with dealing with excess alcohol or he's entering into a a permanent slurred liverish existence, not unlike Shane McGowan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Who would you have dropped and who would you have replaced them with? I thought it a pretty strong team, even if it was very personality-driven. That's not to imply that mentality isn't just as crucial to success in football as technical ability, of course. Nevertheless, you could probably argue that Gary Neville, Scholes and Giggs might have been deserving of places over Parker, Ince and Ronaldo.
    The only member of that trio that I would've definitely included is Scholes. Although Ince was a very good player and is, in some respects, a kind of forgotten man in United's history, I think most would agree that Scholes was superior and would add that bit extra to Keane's selection.

If Gary Neville is to be included it is simply down to his longevity as he certainly wasn't a great player in my view. Good, but not great. In relation to Paul Parker he may, as Roy said, feel hard done by. He must have squirmed when Keane and Vieira were going over the tunnel incident - "What got to me was you went for Gary!...Gary!... that's like going after the weakest link." The expression on Keane's face when he said Gary was priceless.

The exclusion of Giggs may have raised most eyebrows given the extraordinary length of his career and the amount of honours he has received, but with some consideration I have to say that I wouldn't have included him either. Keane was charged with selecting the best players he played with at United not the players who made the greatest contributions during his time there, so in that respect Ronaldo has to be included. Then one has to decide whether to put him on the right; where played a lot of the time for United, or on the left; his best and most deadly position. You have to go for the latter in my view, which means including Beckham on the right.

I would also add that although I have certain problems with Beckham and the status he has garnered for himself; primarily because it bears little relation to his abilities as a player, I will say that he did, in my estimation, achieve a higher, and more prolonged, peak at United than Giggs ever did. I think it is often forgotten how sporadic Giggs' form was at times. Whilst his status as one United's most legendary servants is not in doubt, I always felt that he was never a truly great player.
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/12/2013 at 8:44 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    You mean Panasonic.

Although come to think of it, his middle name is Bravian.
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/12/2013 at 10:19 PM.

23. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Actually I think it was a Panasonic Vieira, they also had another model called the Panasonic Keane, which was more versatile than the Vieira but it kept blowing fuses

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Jesus O'Herlihy would put years on ya. 'He is a good man!!' Is that cos he's from Cork Bill?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Mick with a few comments about Saipan:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...World-Cup.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.