Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 15 of 128 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    "I was too good, my level was too high," he said of his experience at Sunderland.
    I had to laugh at that. The man is deluled. MON was spot on. But I have to admit O'Neill didn't look the same manager at SAFC that he did at Villa and Celtic. His tactics looked out dated and training methods were poor. IMO I think this was down to not having John Robertson there as number 2. Hopefully he O'Neill has learned form that and that's why he brought in Keane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    just so I can say I said it first
    Why is the manager picking him?
    What does he have to do to get into the squad?
    What does he have to do to get into the starting XI?
    Clearly we shouldn't be playing that formation.
    If he persists with that selection, a different passing style would give better results
    I think it's time to think about replacing the manager
    etc and so forth
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He's out of his depth, Darragh.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    That's nothing, just wait for the bile to really flow from a panel united, when Keane calls them something worse than a comedy show.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    According to my Freeview program guide ITV are covering the England Germany match hosted by Adrian Chiles with guests Lee Dixon *Roy Keane* and Michael Ballacl

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Some used to think he was two men when he played. Maybe that proves it.

Here's an early United interview with Roy by the BBC's Barry Davies in August of 1993:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    McAteer on Keane: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/jason-...185964-Nov2013

FORMER IRELAND INTERNATIONAL Jason McAteer believes that Roy Keane can be a success as Ireland’s assistant manager.

The ex-Liverpool and Sunderland midfielder says that, like many, he was initially surprised when he heard the appointment while working as a pundit for Al-Jazeera given Keane’s past with the FAI and the fact that he and Martin O’Neill weren’t believed to be close friends.

“I was surprised,” McAteer said. “I don’t think there was any relationship with him and Martin O’Neill. Usually there is a connection between the manager and his assistant. Then with Roy’s track history with the FAI I was surprised that he was asked to come back in a coaching capacity.

“At the end of the day, as long as Irish football is in good hands, produces good results and brings the young crop through then there will be no harm done.

“Obviously his managerial record isn’t great but he is playing the assistant’s role now to a manager who has got very good man-management in Martin O’Neill. I think it has been apparent since the appointment that Roy has made strides to show everyone he is second-in-command and that it’s not about him.

“We’ll have to wait and see. He is in a different capacity now and I don’t think we have ever seen him as an assistant manager. This might be just what he needs. Roy Keane might be a coach or an assistant manager. He might not be a manager.”

Over the years, McAteer and Keane have enjoyed a fractious relationship but speaking at a Setanta Sports media event in Dublin today, the 42-year-old explained that it is simply a clash of personalities.

“Roy’s temperament and Martin’s temperament are different. Don’t get me wrong, my relationship with Roy is still getting whipped up now but at the end of the day it’s a laugh.

“It’s nothing personal. We don’t jab each other out for personal reasons, we have a laugh. We don’t get on. Not everyone gets on and there are other footballers that I don’t get on with but it’s just highlighted in the press that we don’t get on.

“I’m not going to sit here and stick the knife into Roy. As far as I’m concerned, Roy as a footballer was absolutely fantastic. I think he will be fantastic as an assistant manager and believe it or not, Roy does have a decent personality. We laugh and joke and I might a few things but at the end of the day he does have a very good personality.

“It is just a personality that clashes with mine. That’s all it it. Like I always say, if he walked into a room now I’d like to think I could shake his hand and wish him good luck. I don’t think he’ll need it as they have got a really good bunch of players coming through.

“With Roy’s experience with the national team and playing football at the highest level mixed with Martin O’Neill’s experience and man-management, I think it’s a team that can do very well.”
    Always enjoyed this one too:

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    One of Keane's blatantly cowardly attacks against an opponent.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nah, Alf Inge Haaland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think Miguel Delaney's take on things is a fair assessment of the evidence of the first two games.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/s...ar-250154.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Brain Kerr: Roy not being groomed to take over.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29786986.html
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Brain Kerr to Managed Ireland

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The only way I could envisage Roy eventually taking over would be if Martin decides to call it a day on a positive note. It was assumed that Tardelli was being groomed to succeed Trap, but as soon as things turned sour, regime change became the only option. Having Tardelli in charge now would not have been acceptable for the vast majority of supporters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    As would R.M.K.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It seems the players had a problem with Keane's body odour and flatulence problem according to The Irish Times!

Players were ‘secretely concerned’ over Keane appointment, O’Neill admits

But assistant manager has settled in well with players and working hard in new role

Republic of Ireland head coach Martin O’Neill has spoken of the positive impression Roy Keane has already made on his squad, despite some of the players having been ‘secretely concerned’ when he was first appointed as assitant manager.

• Republic of Ireland manager Martin O’Neill has admitted some of his players were “secretly concerned” about working with his assistant Roy Keane.

Speaking last night in Naas, O’Neill explained how neatly his new sidekick settled into the fold despite some trepidation on the part of the players.
      Keane attracted a reputation as an uncompromising operator from his managerial spells at Sunderland and Ipswich Town, a trait that O’Neill was determined to tweak into a positive element of their new collaboration in charge of Ireland.
      While at the time of their appointment and the games against Latvia and Poland, O’Neill insisted Keane’s inclusion on the managerial ticket would be embraced within the set-up, he has now admitted there was a degree of nervousness among the players.
      The Derry native conveyed his thoughts on the factors at play during the first meet-up of the squad almost three weeks ago.
      “I think the players might secretly have been a little bit concerned about Roy, but he’s been really excellent,” said O’Neill.
      “He’s already made a great impression on the players themselves.

Jumped at the chance
      “I just want to say something about Roy. When I mentioned to him if he fancied it (the job), he jumped at the chance.
      “He jumped at it immediately and said “let’s go and do it, it will be great”.
      “I personally think he’ll be fantastic for the nation.
      “He wants to do it. He has enthusiasm – which is always there and is there in abundance.
      “If enthusiasm alone was to get us through that would be great but unfortunately we need a bit of luck along the way. We’ve got some decent players as well.”
      Evidence of Keane’s enthusiasm was there for all to see on the sidelines during the two opening games and he’s continued to dedicate himself passionately to the task.
      Today, for example, he’ll not only be at Nottingham Forest’s Championship match against Reading at the City Ground tonight but will also have cast his eye on his former club’s next generation earlier in the day when their U21s host Coventry City.
      Keane is then scheduled to link up with O’Neill at Goodison Park tomorrow where as many as six Irish players could feature in the Premier League game between Everton and Stoke City.

Hard at work
      The pair were also hard at work last weekend, their first back on the beat following their international duties.
      O’Neill turned up at Ewood Park to scout on Stephen Kelly and Alex Pearce in the Reading line-up against Blackburn, while his sidekick took in Stoke City’s top-flight fixture against Sunderland.
      With his trademark dry wit, O’Neill stated last night he had to choose his words carefully in describing his new deputy, and used the host for the occasion – RTÉ correspondent Tommie Gorman – to illustrate the point.
      “Tommie, of course, got the interview with Roy Keane after those famous days in Saipan (in 2002),” he said.
      “He was the only one to get anything from Roy at that particular time and Lord may that continue.
      “I’m only jesting; this might get back to Keane. I might lose an assistant manager – I might have lost him anyway.
      “It’s hopefully going to be a bit of fun along the way. We’ll hopefully get Roy smiling once or twice and everybody might be happy.”
      In the company of Irish sporting greats such as Kerry GAA legend Mikey Sheehy, Galway’s All-Ireland football championship winner Pádraic Joyce and ex-Ireland rugby international Mick Galwey, O’Neill posted an upbeat prediction for his tenure ahead.
      There may a long lead-in to the European Championship qualifiers next September but the former Celtic manager doffed his hat to the past manager before looking ahead with optimism.
      “I’m following in the footsteps of an absolute fantastic manager in Giovanni Trapattoni and it would be great to be successful with the Republic of Ireland,” he concluded.

Fri, Nov 29, 2013, 01:00

i
    Last edited by gastric; 29/11/2013 at 2:07 AM.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Sounds like O'Neill has the after dinner circuit booked up over the winter, regaling the guests with stories of 'Me and Roy'.
    For now it's 'Me and Roy - the engagement and the honeymoon period'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    An interesting piece on social media and how it reacted to the recent appointments and our friendlies against Latvia and Poland: http://pogmogoal.com/the-blog-reel/s...-coybig/16631/

It’s become the source of breaking transfer news, while players can’t help getting themselves into trouble on it but social media has added an extra dimension to how we watch football. Paul Moriarty, Head of Insight at News Access Media Intelligence, Ireland’s media intelligence agency, tells the YBIG Football Show how Twitter reacted to Martin O’Neill’s first two games, and discusses the rise of the popular supporters’ hashtag #COYBIG.

Speaking to host Dave O’Grady, Moriarty reveals the reaction on social media to the arrival of O’Neill and Roy Keane to the Ireland set-up.

“It’s certainly been a very interesting couple of matches” says Paul regarding the amount of buzz that can be created, particularly on Twitter.

“The #COYBIG hashtag seems to be the one to dominate. For example, during the Ireland-Poland match we tracked from 4pm to midnight, including the build-up, the match itself, and post match analysis, 1844 tweets, retweets and replies for #COYBIG, which is quite a large amount.”

“That being said, on the Ireland vs Latvia game, the first game under ONeill and Roy Keane, we tracked 4306 for the same period. You can just see the difference depending on how much buzz there is around a particular game.”

The perception might be that the Irish away games would generate more activity given that not as many supporters would actually be at the match itself but that’s not necessarily the case.

“It comes down to the notion of social chatter or social buzz because really that first game with Roy Keane and O’Neill generated so much interest.”

“On the game itself, they both generated around 1000 tweets, so Martin O’Neill generated around 950 tweets. In terms of Keane, just mentions of his name, there were 1381 tweets over that period.”

“While O’Neill is definitely the boss; on that opening game Roy Keane got people talking, unsurprisingly some people would say.

Of course Twitter tends to explode when anything controversial happens be it a row, yellow cards, red cards or regarding transfers.

“We track right across the course of the game. The one thing that really generates buzz is when a goal is scored. There is no getting away from it.”

“The actual peak of the Ireland vs Poland game was at the very beginning. There was a huge peak at 7:42pm as Amhrán na bhFiann was played. Some people were happy that it wasn’t the model Nadia Forde doing the singing. The biggest peak came three minutes later just when the game kicked off.”

It’s not only in Ireland either that the the activity is generated when the Boys in Green are in action.

“Most certainly. We can also track the geography of tweets. There were almost 2500 in Ireland. In USA there were around 600 tweeting. Australia was well represented. Interestingly India, and even Kazakshtan had people commenting with the #COYBIG hashtag. It just shows it goes right across the world and people are involved in the big conversation. That’s what Twitter is all about and that’s certainly what monitoring and evaluating social media is about.”

We also now see broadcasters and media outlets using hashtags in an effort to get people interacting.

“The interesting thing is nobody has full control over it. Often what you’ll find is a broadcaster will say a particular hashtag but everyone will go with another one so they can try and influence it but actually the way that this form of media works is kind of turning the tables a little bit. The majority get to have control over the hashtags and it’s a really interesting area.”

“One of the other leading hashtags was #PolIrl with up to 656 tweets, and also #LiveFAI, the FAI’s own hashtag had a few hundred. They are making an effort to get involved in the social media strand.”

“It’s the flexibility of tweeting particularly. There are also lots of conversations on Facebook and different websites but Twitter has got its stronghold for events like football, rugby and Gaelic games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Paul Scholes (who, of course, has Irish grandparents) offers his thoughts on Roy and Martin: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/paul-s...00011-Nov2013/

PAUL SCHOLES’ FAMILY connections always meant he kept an eye on Ireland’s footballing results but the former Manchester United midfielder now has further reason to root for the Boys in Green.

Scholes, who is one of the main subjects of the Class of ’92 documentary, has grandparents from the Emerald Isle and played alongside Irish footballers such as Roy Keane, John O’Shea and Liam Miller.

Scholes told Off The Ball about his admiration for Keane and expressed a desire that his former United teammate will thrive as assistant to Ireland manager Martin O’Neill.

“I hope they do well,” said Scholes. “My grandparents are from Ireland so I like to look out for their results. I know a couple of their players. I know John O’Shea a long time.
    It’s a country that you like to see doing well. I hope that Roy and Martin O’Neill can turn it around and get them qualified for a major tournament.”

Scholes rejected the suggestion, made by Keane himself, that he did not have a great game in the European Cup semi-final win over Juventus in 1999 — a performance that drove United into their first final in 32 years.

“He was unbelievable in that semi-final,” said Scholes. “He was our best player by a million miles. His header got us back into the game when we were 2-0 down. He really carried us through to that final.

He had the disappointment [after his yellow card] of knowing he was not going to be able to play but still, he drove the team on and made sure they got through to the final that night. He deservedly got a lot of plaudits for that game.”

He added, “[Roy] was incredible as a leader, captain and player. He was someone that every one of us looked up to. We were lucky enough to be part of some of his teams.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Paul Scholes (who, of course, has Irish grandparents)
    From Letterkenny of all places. Always found it strange. Yet another who could have declared through Donegal connections.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.