Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 14 of 128 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

Smile Roy Keane arrives 90 minutes early for Republic training!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24916323

Dunno if this has been posted already.

New assistant boss Roy Keane was the first to arrive at Republic of Ireland training in Malahide on Tuesday as preparations for Friday's friendly against Latvia got under way.

Keane, 42, turned up 90 minutes before Martin O'Neill and his players were scheduled to begin work at Gannon Park.

The Cork man checked out the training pitch before inspecting the nearby gym facilities at the north Dublin venue.

Keane returned to the training pitch well before the first players arrived.

The former Republic of Ireland and Manchester United captain, who was wearing full training kit, had time to sign autographs and pose for photographs with fans who had turned out to witness the start of the new regime.

I guess it would not be too clever if the pitch was rock hard and all the equipment had gone AWOL

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Man arrives early for work!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    To be fair Keane shrugged this off in the press conference himself. He said it would obviously be part of his job to get things organised before the players arrive. He was then asked if he is going to expect the same from the players, that they should be punctual... he just gave one of his squinty-eyed looks and replied with something along the lines of "Obviously.... do I expect them to be on time for work??? Hardly looking for miracles is it?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    To be fair Keane shrugged this off in the press conference himself. He said it would obviously be part of his job to get things organised before the players arrive. He was then asked if he is going to expect the same from the players, that they should be punctual... he just gave one of his squinty-eyed looks and replied with something along the lines of "Obviously.... do I expect them to be on time for work??? Hardly looking for miracles is it?"
    Seeing as they're all staying in the same place it's assumable they arrive on a coach or something anyway no? Or do they stick their thumbs out and hitch up from the hotel?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Not a plug for the FAI but brings it home...

8. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Not a plug for the FAI but brings it home...

is that the actual cover ? or something u did yourself Ardee?

Me likes
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Nah, from the FAI Fbk.page...

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Nah, from the FAI Fbk.page...
    It reminds me of the below link:
    http://www.impawards.com/2003/poster...ys_two_xlg.jpg

Or in this case "Bad Cop, Bad Bad Cop 2"
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I've Tony O'Donoghuenumerous times late at night around the chinese takeaway and in the pub in a Dublin suburb. He's not the worst but there's no way in hell this man should ever be deciding the channel of thought on the Irish soccer team. He's no more knowledgeable than anyone on here. And a lot less so than many of the fellas on here.

I just say this as I worry to, what I perceive to be, his growing influence.
    Journalists do not decide "the channel of thought" on football teams for the genuine supporters, most of whom are on here. Dunphy (and Giles for that matter) ranted for years against Charlton and yet he left when he decided the time was right and the supporters were loyal to him. Do you think people on here will pay any more heed to O'Donoghue's view that the view of the fans on here. The likes of Miriam Lord who did a piece in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ined-1.1594050 about "the glamorous Roy Keane" will interest the celeb followers or event junkies, many of whom will go to the Aviva tomorrow, but will it shape the opinion of the fans, I doubt it. Take Trap also: the media was 95% against him even going in to the qualification campaign but I doubt if it changed attitutes. Fans are well capable of making up their own minds whether pro or anti..

I wouldn't worry either about the huge hype that is surrounding the appointment of an out of work Corkman as an assistant manager. I will never like Keane following on Saipan but if O'Neill brings success, he can have Dunphy as his assistant for all I care. The team the team the team. As for the rest of it, I'll bite my lip and remember the latin phrase I learned at school: "Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis."
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    is that the actual cover ? or something u did yourself Ardee?

Me likes

It actually a good cover, would make a good poster too.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I thanked OF's post despite not understanding the Latin bit at the end.

I was firmly on Mick's side in Saipan but at the same time, when I think back on some of the personal rows I've had in my life where I have been wholly consumed by pride and no small level of innate aggression and self-preservation instinct, and where I have maintained an irrational stance believing it to be right at the time, I'd be a hypocrite not to see a bit of him in what I have done -albeit on a less public scale!

I'm happy to see a great Irish football figure there to inspire and motivate our players. I take him in face value when he says he's not a monster and can actually be a good influence on lesser players. In fact, I reckon Keane's outward alpha-ness betrays some insecurities. No shame in that whatsoever. I can't see why anyone would object to him being in part-charge of our team. We'd be mad not to consider him.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 14/11/2013 at 7:39 PM.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I want the contrary whiny f'ecker to succeed. I don't expect (or want) him to have changed, but a bit of maturity wont go amiss and will go a long way in this job.

Talking about Keane .... just in case a line got crossed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I thanked OF's post despite not understanding the Latin bit at the end.
    I Googled it....

'It is best to endure what you cannot change.'

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Journalists do not decide "the channel of thought" on football teams for the genuine supporters, most of whom are on here. Dunphy (and Giles for that matter) ranted for years against Charlton and yet he left when he decided the time was right and the supporters were loyal to him. Do you think people on here will pay any more heed to O'Donoghue's view that the view of the fans on here. The likes of Miriam Lord who did a piece in the Irish Times http://www.irishtimes.com/news/irela...ined-1.1594050 about "the glamorous Roy Keane" will interest the celeb followers or event junkies, many of whom will go to the Aviva tomorrow, but will it shape the opinion of the fans, I doubt it. Take Trap also: the media was 95% against him even going in to the qualification campaign but I doubt if it changed attitutes. Fans are well capable of making up their own minds whether pro or anti..

I wouldn't worry either about the huge hype that is surrounding the appointment of an out of work Corkman as an assistant manager. I will never like Keane following on Saipan but if O'Neill brings success, he can have Dunphy as his assistant for all I care. The team the team the team. As for the rest of it, I'll bite my lip and remember the latin phrase I learned at school: "Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis."
    I read that Miriam Lord piece this morning on my phone. I had to shake myself to make sure I'd woken up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    think Stutts asked what Irish players have played under Keane and O'Neill at club level
    Code:
    Manager Name   Club        Player
    Martin O'Neill Celtic      Aiden McGeady 
                               Liam Miller   
                               Colin Healy
                   Aston Villa Richard Dunne 

Roy Keane      Sunderland  Liam Miller   
                               Anthony Stokes
                               Daryl Murphy  
                               David Connolly
                               Stephen Elliott
                               Clive Clarke  
                               Graham Kavanagh
                               Liam Lawrence 
                               Kenny Cunningham
                               Paul McShane  
                               Ian Harte     
                               Roy O'Donovan 
                               Andy Reid     
                               Nicky Colgan 
                               David Meyler

Ipswich     Owen Garvan   
                               Alan Quinn    
                               Colin Healy   
                               Damien Delaney
                               Jonathan Walters
                               Shane Supple  
                               Ian McLoughlin
                               Daryl Murphy  
                               Brian Murphy  
                               Shane O'Connor
                               Ronan Murray  
                               Conor Hourihane
                               Darren O'Dea  
                               Mark Kennedy
    also Shane Lowry played at Villa under O'Neill before changing allegiances to Australia, and Alex Bruce played for Keane at Ipswich before changing allegiance to the North
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 15/11/2013 at 9:21 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

22. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Has anybody noticed that Martin O'Neill's jokes are really, really bad? Like I know my posts aren't the best, but... has a manager ever been sacked for killing everyone's buzz?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    He's no Patrick Kielty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Is that a compliment or an insult?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm happy to see a great Irish football figure there to inspire and motivate our players. I take him in face value when he says he's not a monster and can actually be a good influence on lesser players. No shame in that whatsoever. I can't see why anyone would object to him being in part-charge of our team. We'd be mad not to consider him.
    Yes. Take goodness for...Martin O'Neill!

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Too-good Di Canio's got beef with Martin: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/inter...6837-di-canio/

Paolo Di Canio has hit back at Martin O'Neill as the war of words between the former Sunderland managers continued.

Di Canio succeeded O'Neill at the Stadium of Light in March and, on his arrival, criticised the fitness levels in the squad.

O'Neill took his time to respond but following his appointment as Republic of Ireland boss earlier this week, he dismissed Di Canio's barbs and labelled the Italian a "managerial charlatan".

Di Canio, who led Sunderland to Premier League survival last season before being sacked after five games of the current campaign, told Sky Sports News: "I don't know if he knows the meaning of this word charlatan. Probably I can teach him, even if I am not English.

"I respect the opinion of manager Martin O'Neill but the fact that he spoke after six months, not straight away, that proves what kind of level he is. He is not very big.

"A charlatan is a manager who spends £40m to be a top ten club and then sees the club sink into the relegation zone."

Di Canio stood by his claim that the Black Cats players were not in peak condition when he arrived on Wearside.

"The fitness levels were pathetic," he said.

"I had players who told me they had cramps from driving the car.

"I had three players with injuries in the calf after 20 minutes of a game. Six different players with problems means they were not fit."

Di Canio was dismissed after a 3-0 defeat at West Brom, a result which was reportedly followed a day later by a training ground bust-up with senior players which led them to ask the board to take action.

Di Canio insisted, however, that no argument took place.

"It never happened," he said.

"There was a typical meeting, as there was after every game to see the clips and analyse the game.

"Maybe there was opinion but this happens in every good family."

Even though his first foray into top-flight management ended in acrimonious fashion, it has not quelled Di Canio's confidence and he remains hopeful of finding another job in England.

"I was too good, my level was too high," he said of his experience at Sunderland.

"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger. I can't wait to have another chance with the right people. I feel a better manager than before.

"Even if I have requests from around Europe I say no.

"There is no space for me in England at the moment but I will wait.

"It would be stupid for a chairman not to call me. Even if it's at a Championship club with a project."