Results 2,441 to 2,460 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Just reading Dan McDonnell’s piece about Roy Keane.

‘Keane's sideline manner was abrasive; the Sky microphones picked it up in Aarhus on Monday.’

Missed this. Can anyone enlighten us?

I’d imagine Keane was driven demented by the performances of Irish Central Midfielders
    I heard someone during the game describe a particular misplaced pass as 'f***ing b*******t' but I had assumed it was a fan...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    No Get Access link on the article that loads up on my 2 browsers. The access to 2 articles a week must a British Isles ip thing.
    must be it
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Just reading Dan McDonnell’s piece about Roy Keane.

‘Keane's sideline manner was abrasive; the Sky microphones picked it up in Aarhus on Monday.’

Missed this. Can anyone enlighten us?

I’d imagine Keane was driven demented by the performances of Irish Central Midfielders
    I actually place a lot of the blame for our midfield failures on Roy. No doubt this is a bad batch of Irish midfielders, but Roy of all people should have been advocating strongly for O'Neill to select a proper defensive/holding midfielder like a Shaun Williams. It is better to play a more limited defensive midfielder in his proper position than to play a superior technician or attacking player like Hourihane or Hendrick in that defensive role. I actually like Hourihane and Hendrick but feel they were played completely out of position.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I don’t think that it’s a particularly bad batch of midfielders. I just think it’s missing someone who grabs the game by the scruff of the next, missing a “leettle personaliteee” as a previous manager was fond of saying.

As you point out, our midfielders have not been used effectively, as part of a system nor in their best positions by the previous administration. That’s the biggest issue I can see. The players themselves are decent players with potential to be better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Keane was supportive on the touch line the other night! You could hear him shouting “well done Cyrus” numerous times. Unless he was being sarcastic?!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Keane was supportive on the touch line the other night! You could hear him shouting “well done Cyrus” numerous times. Unless he was being sarcastic?!
    Both are possible to be honest.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I thought he was screeching “worse than Cyprus”

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    So either he's an aggressive bully from the sidelines, or his judgement is seriously questionable. It doesn't reflect well on Keane either way!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I actually place a lot of the blame for our midfield failures on Roy. No doubt this is a bad batch of Irish midfielders, but Roy of all people should have been advocating strongly for O'Neill to select a proper defensive/holding midfielder like a Shaun Williams. It is better to play a more limited defensive midfielder in his proper position than to play a superior technician or attacking player like Hourihane or Hendrick in that defensive role. I actually like Hourihane and Hendrick but feel they were played completely out of position.
    Exactly. I was thinking that if anyone can understand what a midfield needs to be functional it's Keane. Instead he seems to have proved another theory of mine, that people who found playing the game easy never understand it quite as well as those who had to really figure it out.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I wonder what managerial team interaction could possibly explain and justify the anarchy of the Cyrus midfield role?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I wonder what managerial team interaction could possibly explain and justify the anarchy of the Cyrus midfield role?
    Threading on dangerous ground here but .....Both Paul McGrath and Mark Lawrenson played in midfield for Ireland . Ok Cyrus Christie is no Paul McGrath or Mark Lawrenson . What I am saying is that perhaps M’ON / Roy Keane wanted to bring a bit of physical presence / defence / athletic-ism to the midfield . We are really lacking a mobile defensive good midfielder .

Only Playing Devils Advocate !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Ok Cyrus Christie is no Paul McGrath or Mark Lawrenson
    Understatement of the century!

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Understatement of the century!
    But they are not as good as him now . They are way too old

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I actually place a lot of the blame for our midfield failures on Roy. No doubt this is a bad batch of Irish midfielders, but Roy of all people should have been advocating strongly for O'Neill to select a proper defensive/holding midfielder like a Shaun Williams.
    Maybe he did. We don't really know.

As for being abrasive on the sideline, so what? It's not under 12's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    What I am saying is that perhaps M’ON / Roy Keane wanted to bring a bit of physical presence / defence / athletic-ism to the midfield . We are really lacking a mobile defensive good midfielder .

Only Playing Devils Advocate !
    agree with the thinking behind this. Christie was our most mobile ctre mid in the last few matches but his playing there was an easy stick to hit MON with. he outshone some of our regular ctre mids when playing there

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    agree with the thinking behind this. Christie was our most mobile ctre mid in the last few matches but his playing there was an easy stick to hit MON with. he outshone some of our regular ctre mids when playing there
    O'Neill specifically cited his mobility as a factor, given the Aviva pitch is very long. I think Christie did well enough but his first touch and ability to protect the ball when receiving it weren't up to the standard necessary for a CM. A full back doesn't need the same skill as he'll almost always be facing play when he gets the ball. Christie got shown up as a round peg in a square hole and only really outshone anyone because pretty much everyone else played badly, not least because some - especially in the middle - were given inappropriate roles. For the life of me I don't see how O'Neill failed to noticed that we used the ball better between defence and attack when Shaun Williams was playing. This was just glaringly obvious to me. As was Stevens' comfort in the LWB position over McClean's. MON's judgment was found seriously wanting at times.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Maybe he did. We don't really know.

As for being abrasive on the sideline, so what? It's not under 12's.
    Absolutely.
    Keane getting too much criticism for team selection when it wasn’t his job and we don’t know what input he had.

He deserves more criticism for the rows and falling out with players.

Interesting interview with Carlos Edwards here about Keane

https://youtu.be/GzoDU-IOqHw

24. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Instead he seems to have proved another theory of mine, that people who found playing the game easy never understand it quite as well as those who had to really figure it out.
    The ex-managers club is full of top class players who proved useless at getting other players to do what they themselves had been able to do effortlessly.

It's funny sometimes to listen to ex-players in a punditry job, and hear just how much utter rubbish they talk. I sometimes end up wondering how they ever managed to play the game at such a level for so long, because if seems like they have no insight into it at all.

I remember watching Duff as a pundit on the Juve-Spurs CL game, and commenting on a penalty, he said something like "It's not deliberate, but it's bad defending, and you have to punish it. Penalty." I remember thinking to myself...Is that actually what you think? Is that what you've thought all they way through your career?

26. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    What ?
    I'd say McCarthy, currently propping up the Championships would see it as an attractive proposition.

Grammatically corrected but not factually corrected, I was not aware McCarthy had departed or at least if I was I forgot, I can't remember which is the case.

But it is a plus point that I was wrong. (a plus point for McCarty, not for me personally).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post

I remember watching Duff as a pundit on the Juve-Spurs CL game, and commenting on a penalty, he said something like "It's not deliberate, but it's bad defending, and you have to punish it. Penalty." I remember thinking to myself...Is that actually what you think? Is that what you've thought all they way through your career?
    What was wrong with what Duff said? Bad defending leads to foul in the penalty area = penalty?