Page 11 of 128 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    C'mon, tricky; we're a dream team now. If your heedless impulses had been keeping up with your superfluous sister thread, you'd have noticed that DeNiro made that observation a full twelve hours ago!
    Seems I missed that somehow, indeed I was surprise it had not been mentioned, seems I just was blind to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Stupid Question probably but do you chaps reckon Robbie could go on loan to a Prem club?
    Don't think any are *that* desperate

Seriously though, he would not I expect, be able to get the kind of money he gets over there, so why would he want to
    move to the Prem?
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 10/11/2013 at 8:16 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    I just meant that the MLS season is over. But yeah he probably wants to relax.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I just meant that the MLS season is over. But yeah he probably wants to relax.

Oh yes I had forgot about that and was doing him a bit of a disservice with my cheeky comments.
    He did play for Villa in early 2012, but not in 2013. Villa were relegation candidates that year, it's
    two years on now.

Maybe it was just that the conditions were right that year, I mean he only played a few games, normally
    clubs have their squads picked for the relevant period, so Robbie would have to a significant
    improvement on what they had for them to consider dropping a regular striker perhaps.

Or maybe after being reminded what a British winter was like he felt he would be better off in sunny California!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I'm glad the initial press mutterings are nearly done with. I'm not sure i can take much more of O'Neill's sense of humour. Time to do the talking on the pitch.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 11/11/2013 at 1:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Compared to other managerial unveilings, the response to O'Neill seemed quite muted. Dunphy mentions he was nervous which I can agree with. The games with Latvia and Poland will be interesting to a point, more telling about where we are going is when he picks the squads himself.

7. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It was well reported but there does appear to be a feeling of 'after the lord mayors show' about it. At least I wasn't that interested.
    The main questions asked had already been answered and well discussed beforehand. The shock news value of the appointment had already upstaged the unveiling event.
    Now comes the reality check a couple of friendlies with old eastern block countries.

I doubt if O'Neill himself would have picked a much different squad from the available players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Why is the name sometimes O'Neal, sometimes O'Neill. Tis confuses me. Shaq is one way, the Irish manager is another. Tis ashame.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm glad the initial press muttering a are nearly done with. I'm not sure i can take much more of O'Neill's sense of humour. Time to do the talking on the pitch.
    Saw the conference in full last night - his numerous attempts at sarcastic humour were truly cringeworthy.

I wonder how many more times will we have to hear the "Ive asked myself that many times" line from him
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Did anyone read Paul Rowan yesterday? I got a text from a pal saying that PR is saying that MON is treating the job as a joke. I don't subscribe to the Sunday Times so didn't see the article.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Why is the name sometimes O'Neal, sometimes O'Neill. Tis confuses me. Shaq is one way, the Irish manager is another. Tis ashame.
    Both spelling versions are 'valid'. The original surname was in gaelic and there are a few derivatives but O'Neill is a much more common surname.
    Afaia, those who shipped the Irish to the USA and those in Ellis island, went to extremes to accurately record the names of the immigrants.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Did anyone read Paul Rowan yesterday? I got a text from a pal saying that PR is saying that MON is treating the job as a joke. I don't subscribe to the Sunday Times so didn't see the article.
    As far as Irish soccer writers go, I don't have much respect for Paul Rowan. Always trying to stir something up or make a story out of a non-story.

I didn't read the piece but I'd hope MON treats the job seriously but brings back the element of fun that's been missing from Irish teams for far too long. I hope he enjoys the job. To say he's treating it as a joke is a very serious accusation and I'd have zero idea where he's getting that idea from. I really enjoyed his press conference and if you're looking to treat a job managing a country as a laugh, RK is the last person you'd ask to be your assistant.

The old man gets the ST so I'll ask him about.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    As far as Irish soccer writers go, I don't have much respect for Paul Rowan. Always trying to stir something up or make a story out of a non-story.
    i read in Saturday's paper that Roy Curtis was named sportswriter of the year. Now that is laughable
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    i read in Saturday's paper that Roy Curtis was named sportswriter of the year. Now that is laughable
    Neil Francis won Sports Columnist of the Year.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/fran...-29741191.html

Like the Mercury Prize these are truly discredited now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, Rowan's, 'The Team That Jack Built' was half-decent. And read some OK articles by him over the years but unfamiliar with his recent (ie. the last 10?years) work. Is he really that bad?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I've met Paul quite a few times. Nice chap, but I do agree with Yopper's take on things in that he is usually trying to put a cynical angle on things. Of course, in context of Irish football, he'd often be right!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Saw the conference in full last night - his numerous attempts at sarcastic humour were truly cringeworthy.

I wonder how many more times will we have to hear the "Ive asked myself that many times" line from him
    Ha, it's only his first week. After he gets a game or two out of the way and gets to know his individual players a bit better, I'm sure he'll be able to come up with more concrete answers rather than the stock first-week reply to, "So, why did you take the job and bring in Roy as assistant?" I felt he answered well during the press conference by avoiding overly specific territory in relation to available players.

There's reality (where Martin's surname is spelled "O'Neill") and then there's the world of tricky (where Martin's surname is spelled "O Neil").

God forbid, surely not Undercover Agent Martin of the IFA?!

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Ha, it's only his first week. After he gets a game or two out of the way and gets to know his individual players a bit better, I'm sure he'll be able to come up with more concrete answers rather than the stock first-week reply to, "So, why did you take the job and bring in Roy as assistant?" I felt he answered well during the press conference by avoiding overly specific territory in relation to available players.
    Im not doubting his ability to deal with the press or anything.
    When not trying to be humerous - he answered the questions fine and came across very well.

I wouldnt be holding out for a better comedy performance from him though Danny, whether it be his first week or not.

In saying that though, some of the questions asked by the journalists were pretty limited and in some cases repetitive
    Last edited by back of the net; 11/11/2013 at 5:06 PM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Well there really isn't that much to ask him. He's just starting. Rowan's accusations are fairly serious (if that's what the article says). O'Neill is on 1.3M so you'd want to be taking it more than a little seriously.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Page 11 of 128 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast