Hendrick
    Trap gave Hendrick his debut.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Sure wasn't Marco Tardelli trying to flog him to half of Serie A!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Sure wasn't Marco Tardelli trying to flog him to half of Serie A!
    no, that was Glenn Whelan i think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Not sure where to ask this question - but does anyone have MON's Ireland record?

Checked MON's wikipedia page and it says P53 W19 D18 L16.

My own records have P52 W19 D17 L16.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Wikipedia's would appear correct according to this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matche..._football_team

Discount the Northern Ireland behind closed doors game and his record is as they've suggested above.

I was thinking that maybe you hadn't included the Belarus game in Turner's Cross but it's a drawn game you're missing.

7. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I'm going full MON out. My patience / hope has expired.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    A lot of people saying give it to Stephen Kenny. Could be a good shout. Although I’d fear it might go the same way as Kerr.

Neil Lennon could also be a good shout.

It seems to have just lost its momentum under MON and I don’t think there’s anything that can bring it back.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    A lot of people saying give it to Stephen Kenny. Could be a good shout. Although I’d fear it might go the same way as Kerr.

Neil Lennon could also be a good shout.

It seems to have just lost its momentum under MON and I don’t think there’s anything that can bring it back.
    Lennon is just a mini-MON. I can't see much point in that.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Lennon is just a mini-MON. I can't see much point in that.
    Hibs playing nice football.

I do laugh at many ROI supporters rose tinted glasses. People calling for McCarthy to come back when he was roundly booed out of Lansdoen Road after Swiss game.

People lamenting Kerr not being involved any more when we played some dire defensive stuff under Kerr.

Chris Hughton i’m sure wouldn’t be tempted away from Brighton but would be nice to see get the gig as well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts

I do laugh at many ROI supporters rose tinted glasses. People calling for McCarthy to come back when he was roundly booed out of Lansdoen Road after Swiss game.

People lamenting Kerr not being involved any more when we played some dire defensive stuff under Kerr.

Chris Hughton i’m sure wouldn’t be tempted away from Brighton but would be nice to see get the gig as well.
    McCarthy was 16 years ago. He has learnt a lot more about management in the meantime and has exceeded expectations with tight budgets and mediocre players at club level. Since then I think it's fair to say his personal stock has risen with the Irish public while Keane's has fallen quite a bit. The booing was largely Saipan related so I think that's totally irrelevant now.

Kerr should be involved in a senior capacity in Irish football administration but not a candidate for senior manager.

The worst thing about MON is that he didn't go or wasn't pushed 12 months ago. He wanted the Stoke job but wasn't offered the contract he wanted. Now, instead he has ruined a risk-free opportunity for a new manager to bed in and bed in his ideas. It's the worst of all worlds now.

I'd take Mick back in a heartbeat. Kenny would be a risk but I'd support it. We need to reinvigorate the U21 set up too and the next U21 manager should be someone being groomed for senior responsibility in a few years. There is a lot of talent and leadership among Mick-era ex-pros.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I'd like to see us go down the foreign manager route. Not Italian though...
    A young German manager in the David Wagner, Daniel Farke mould.

What have we got to lose?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    I'd like to see us go down the foreign manager route. Not Italian though...
    A young German manager in the David Wagner, Daniel Farke mould.

What have we got to lose?
    Ralph Hassenhutti is Austrian and available, he has strong Bundesliga experience , he considered an expert in counter attacking football, not a possession based tactician though

I doubt we can get him in reality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts

Whenever Kerr's name is mentioned, I ask the same question - it's 7 years since his last job in charge of the Faroe Islands. Since then he's had a column in the Times, now he's writing for the Independent, and works as a studio pundit for Virgin Media (previously TV3) and co-commentator for Newstalk.

Are we really to belive that no lower league English team with ambition (e.g. Peterborough, Salford, etc), no Scottish side battling relegation (take your pick), no League of Ireland side looking to build something (Limerick, Waterford, etc) have been interested in hiring him for the past seven years?

Why has nobody offered him a position, or to look at it a different way, why has he not pursued a position? Whatever the reason is, is it enough to stop him being linked with the Ireland job, or any position within the FAI?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Here is a question, if we get beaten 4-0 on Monday. doesnt anything change:? if its 6-0
    What needs to happen to bring Delaney into this and of him to act. what's spurs him to sack them. a player Munity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Whenever Kerr's name is mentioned,

Whatever the reason is, is it enough to stop him being linked with the Ireland job, or any position within the FAI?
    I thought that Kerr and the FAI are pretty much sworn enemies, no? And that they would never employ him again. (Whether Kerr would accept a job, I also think that he probably wouldn't...?)

I could be wrong but I thought that that's how things are there.

As for club management, I'd say at his age, having regular media work to be financially secure, and with Noel O'Reilly gone, that it may not be very attractive to him...?
    He's already achieved so much, wouldn't surprise me if he didn't have the desire to manage anymore (except maybe Ireland if somehow he was asked).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    I thought that Kerr and the FAI are pretty much sworn enemies, no?
    As was Roy Keane but they're now paying him €700,000pa for... am... something.

Kerr hasn't endeared himself with some bitter comments over the years, always happy to stick the knife in, but it is a shame he hasn't been involved at some level given his level of experience and success. He'd be far more suitable for the the role of 'Player Identification Manager' than Noel King, for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Whenever Kerr's name is mentioned, I ask the same question - it's 7 years since his last job in charge of the Faroe Islands. Since then he's had a column in the Times, now he's writing for the Independent, and works as a studio pundit for Virgin Media (previously TV3) and co-commentator for Newstalk.

Are we really to belive that no lower league English team with ambition (e.g. Peterborough, Salford, etc), no Scottish side battling relegation (take your pick), no League of Ireland side looking to build something (Limerick, Waterford, etc) have been interested in hiring him for the past seven years?

Why has nobody offered him a position, or to look at it a different way, why has he not pursued a position? Whatever the reason is, is it enough to stop him being linked with the Ireland job, or any position within the FAI?
    For the footballing reasons in your post, Tets, Kerr is absolutely a non-starter for me too. Add to that the acrimonious and bitter nature of his departure and it would be fuel on the fire. A complete non-starter.

I would also like to stay away from the continental types to be honest - lack of knowledge of our pool and the potential of our domestic leagues would be a killer for us. The Trap experiment was just not really all that enjoyable when you look back on it objectively from the perspective of Irish football (there were some good days as a supporter, sure). He was a confidence killer. Similar to the last couple of years under MON.

As Stutts says, I would have Mick McCarthy back in a heartbeat. Every club that lets him go must regret it pretty soon after.
    Ability to get teams playing decent football and to a level that is greater than the sum of its parts? Check.
    Commitment to the hard work of international weeks? Check.
    Passion for the job? Check.

Mick with Kenny in the assistant role from a succession perspective would be great too if they could work together. MON and Keane never did so its not beyond the realms of possibility. Kenny taking the U21 reins would be smart too.

I really want MON and Keane to go now but I am not convinced that it is going to happen this side of the qualifying campaign.
    Last edited by SkStu; 16/11/2018 at 1:08 PM.

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Kerr may have played defensive football but at least there was some kind of footballing plan, unlike now. Wouldn't have sacked him at the time. I also wouldn't appoint Kerr now though.

Stephen Kenny would be my choice. Modern manager, knows the players, decent football, not looking for a ridiculous salary. Don't understand why people keep associating Kenny with Kerr? Is it because they both managed in LOI? By that measure we should never hire anybody who managed in England, sure didn't MON manager over there...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post

Stephen Kenny would be my choice. Modern manager, knows the players, decent football, not looking for a ridiculous salary. Don't understand why people keep associating Kenny with Kerr? Is it because they both managed in LOI? By that measure we should never hire anybody who managed in England, sure didn't MON manager over there...
    I was completely against the idea of getting Kenny in as manager as I don't think he would get the respect off of senior players but surely anyone is better than Martin O'Neill at this stage. At least Kenny would have us trying to play a bit of football and attempt to score and not the puke Martin has us playing on a constant basis.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I don't think Kenny would be a huge success with the players he'd have available - but he'd change the mindset of the team and get us playing again or at least attempting to play. Which could benefit us down the road with some of the decent youngsters knocking around our underage teams.

O'Neill has really just continued the Trap mindset (bar the Euros) of giving up possession and being happy defending for 90mins.