Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 103 of 128 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Like I said in a blog post, you really can underestimate the effect of Coleman's injury on the result of that game, the players themselves and the rest of the qualifiers. Would we have needed the play offs with him in our side? It's impossible to tell, but you can't deny we are a better side with him in the team.
    Worth noting that Wales also lost their talisman and captain, and ultimately failed to get out of the group. We did the same and got to the play offs
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I see that Michael O'Neill has turned down the Scottish job and will stay with northern Ireland.

I would guess that there aren't too many NI fans worrying about how he got his head turned and his commitment to the job now.
    Last edited by osarusan; 23/01/2018 at 9:40 AM.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    I would guess that there aren't too many NI fans worrying about how he got his head turned and his commitment to the job now.
    Interesting point!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Questions about our O'Neill's commitment to the job isn't the major issue by a long shot, it's what he has to commit to the task at hand going into a 3rd campaign is blatantly at odds with what is needed.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Questions about our O'Neill's commitment to the job isn't the major issue by a long shot, it's what he has to commit to the task at hand going into a 3rd campaign is blatantly at odds with what is needed.
    By and large I'd agree with that, although it isn't as blatant to me as it seems to be to you.

But I think the commitment issue is being used as a stick to beat him with to a certain extent by commentators whose real issue is his suitability for the job in general.
    Last edited by osarusan; 24/01/2018 at 10:16 AM.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Would it be possible to have a Poll on this thread asking "Are you happy that Martin O'Neill is staying on as manager of Ireland ?" The results would be interesting. I would predict 55%/45% in favour.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    the development of the game in Ireland is heavily dependant on the success of the national team. Irish fans love nothing more than success and people are kidding themselves if they think fans will pay at the gate for solely for entertaining football
    Once again, I'm not necessarily looking for entertaining football. Just some kind of tactical plan that takes multiple contingencies into account. O'Neill's Ireland seems to lurch from one fixture for the next hoping for the best. The players go out on to the pitch with passion and belief, but where's the plan? What was the plan against Denmark? Get the 0-0 in Copenhagen. You'd think we were playing for an away point in a league, not a two legged playoff. We had no plan whatsoever for Denmark getting an away goal in Dublin, so we resorted to taking off our midfield and throwing on as many strikers as possible. We were pummelled. It was Football Manager desperation stuff, except without the ability to quit without saving and reload. I've seen well organised, disciplined teams come back from behind against superior opposition. Tony Pulis' teams, for example. But O'Neill had no plan for coming back against Denmark. He says there was nothing else we could have done. That he thinks that way is in itself an indictment of his management.

The Dutch would call O'Neill's approach toevalsvoetbal ('coincidence football').

If he was under contract until 2020 then keeping him on might have made sense from a financial point of view. But his contract expired in November. We chose to reward his lack of foresight and tactical organisation. The FAI are mad. We had nothing to lose by appointing a new manager.

11. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    I'd broadly agree with that, but I think it's worth noting the possibility that the FAI have had feelers out for a new manager, but there's no-one available who's better and within budget

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    We had nothing to lose by appointing a new manager.
    except that our fans are never happy with the manager no matter who it is.
    grass is always greener.... as they say

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I'd broadly agree with that, but I think it's worth noting the possibility that the FAI have had feelers out for a new manager, but there's no-one available who's better and within budget
    He's on 1 million a year. Our assistant manager is on 500k.

Iceland's manager is on 400k.

Capable and affordable international managers are out there, but the FAI's search for a manager involves calling up Ray Houghton who logs on to Paddy Power and checks out the odds list.

15. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The Dutch would call O'Neill's approach toevalsvoetbal ('coincidence football').
    How have they been getting on in the last two campaigns ? The Irish would call their approach "geenkwalificatievoetbal".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    That's correct, they didn't qualify.

What exactly is your point?

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    I'd have changed the manager but sin é. I hope he is massively successfully in the next campaign. Now that the contract has been signed I'm prepared to get behind him.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    He's on 1 million a year. Our assistant manager is on 500k.

Iceland's manager is on 400k.

Capable and affordable international managers are out there, but the FAI's search for a manager involves calling up Ray Houghton who logs on to Paddy Power and checks out the odds list.
    Isn't he on 2 million

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Im a big fam of Mon, but i have to say if TOD slapped him across the face, i wouldnt complain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Another disgraceful interview from O’Neill with Tony O’Donoghue again today.Choking in outrage at being asked basic questions.He could do with getting over himself.Ego before country again for Marty.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Can you imagine if Eamon Dunphy interviewed Martin O'Neill, and he wasn't allowed walk out. .. that would be TV

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    I really thought that was disgusting, not least because Tony works for the national broadcaster and the interview would be broadcast to the Irish public, yet MON still manages to say Tony had enough of his time and he was going to move on.

How Martin was able to recall Tony saying "hard luck" and spin something out of that in this interview months later is a bit worrying too. How many times must he have tossed those words around in his own head to come out that passively aggressive towards TOD?

26. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I really thought that was disgusting, not least because Tony works for the national broadcaster and the interview would be broadcast to the Irish public, yet MON still manages to say Tony had enough of his time and he was going to move on.

How Martin was able to recall Tony saying "hard luck" and spin something out of that in this interview months later is a bit worrying too. How many times must he have tossed those words around in his own head to come out that passively aggressive towards TOD?
    most of our media love to continually chisel away at our national manager and then one bites back and its all shock and horror. it works both ways and some of TODs interviews over the last few years have been agenda driven and tabloid like.... surely our national broadcaster should be above this kind of George hook type punditry and interviewing style?

the two of them do need to move on though and kevin kilbanes suggestion on OTB last night that FAI and RTE hierarchy should sort a truce is spot on

28. Thanks From: