Page 100 of 128 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 2541

Thread: Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Well, if you want to go more recent, they crashed out of Euro 2016 after losing to Hungary, whereas we beat Italy and gave the hosts France a run for their money.

Negatively inclined Austrian fans may have though we were the world beaters who achieved more than anything they could have "ever dreamed of"

Us beating Austria is much of a muchness, to be honest. Just as it is when they beat us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Have Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane taken over Austria now or something?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

3. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Roy Kean and Martin O Neil to managed Austria?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Have Martin O'Neill and Roy Keane taken over Austria now or something?

yep agreed, time for a ceasefire on Austria, its not relevant

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brine3 View Post
    Us beating Austria is much of a muchness, to be honest. Just as it is when they beat us.
    If you really are so concerned with history, maybe you should consider this too - https://www.11v11.com/teams/republic...ition/Austria/

Not much of a muchness at all I would suggest, but emphatically one sided (particularly up until the point in time we're actually talking about).

Anyway, we'll move on. I thought Austria were correctly seeded above us, you don't seem to agree. Fair enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    yep agreed, time for a ceasefire on Austria, its not relevant
    It was relevant in assessing whether MON overachieved by finishing second ahead of them. Not off topic at all.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Guess he can’t do it on a cold wet Tuesday night in Stoke.
    Not that bad by the looks for things https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Attractio...e_England.html
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Anyway, we'll move on. I thought Austria were correctly seeded above us, you don't seem to agree. Fair enough.
    Hehehe, the old I'll move on but put in a point anyway move. Of course I think they were correctly seeded above us according to the rules.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    My point (originally, many moons ago now it seems) was that they were deservedly seeded ahead of us, regardless of the rules, which I don't think are always correct/fair at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Some selected media commentary (with which I happen to mostly concur) on the latest episode...

'Ken Early: Ireland end up as consolation prize for O’Neill': https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...eill-1.3355396

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Early
    The Daily Telegraph last night broke the story that O’Neill had turned down Stoke’s offer, adding that one big reason for his decision is that he did not want to break the verbal agreement he had made with the FAI. But if this verbal agreement really was so sacred, why not confirm as much last week, when Stoke’s interest in taking him first became widely known? Transparency then could have spared a lot of awkwardness later, as many observers will now naturally conclude that he would have been keen to join Stoke if they hadn’t insulted him by approaching Sánchez Flores first.

Instead O’Neill will carry on and now it’s Ireland that gets to feel like the consolation prize. But after the events of the last few days, both O’Neill and the Ireland fans know that most of the supporters were happy to draw a line under his time in charge of the team.
    'Keith Duggan: Stoke affair leaves everyone feeling insulted and cheapened': https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...ened-1.3353530

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Duggan
    Republic of Ireland fans could feel insulted that Martin O’Neill was, according to many reports, ready to walk away for perhaps a mere half-season with the Potters without a backwards glance. There was an unspoken disbelief not so much that O’Neill might quit his post for a Premier club role but that he would leave Ireland for, well, Stoke – which, of course, is a slight on Stoke City FC and the outer boroughs along the Trent.

O’Neill, equally, can feel insulted that anyone would believe that he would renege on his verbal agreement with John Delaney to remain in charge for another campaign. He might also feel slightly aggrieved and hurt at the absence of a deafening public chorus begging him to stay.

John Delaney and the FAI can feel outraged that an English club would so brazenly and openly line up their man, leaving them powerless to do anything about it. Ireland football fans can feel angered by the FAI’s dithering for two months over actually securing the signature of O’Neill on the line that is dotted instead of leaving the position floating on the vague notion of a handshake.
    'Richie Sadlier: Martin O’Neill can’t expect to walk back into Ireland job': https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-job-1.3353603

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sadlier
    ... Back in the real world, though, it’s an embarrassing mess for both parties. There’s no other credible take on what’s been reported. Just carrying on as if nothing happened is head-in-the-sand stuff, which isn’t to say that’s not what the FAI will do. That might be just what O’Neill would like, given he has nowhere else to go, but staying silent and riding this out is not going to work. John Delaney needs to lead on this and speak up.

Putting aside the legal arguments on the validity of their verbal agreement, keeping O’Neill in charge is not a viable option. He arrived four years ago with a reputation for passion and enthusiasm, but you can’t claim full commitment if you’re actively seeking an exit. I know what I’d be thinking if I was in his dressing room and he started to question the mentality of any of the players. His words would fall flat. Richard Dunne said as much on Newstalk during the week. He can’t expect to walk back in as if nothing has happened.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Republic of Ireland fans could feel insulted that Martin O’Neill was, according to many reports, ready to walk away
    quite ironic after 60% of the crowd walked out long before the end of the Denmark match

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    481 Posts
    https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-36496549.html

The interviewer was incredibly aggressive, quite the investigative journalist there

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    It was relevant in assessing whether MON overachieved by finishing second ahead of them. Not off topic at all.
    If I were inclined to assess, I certainly would not rate O'Neill that low.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Seems that MON will be signing.

I've watched every Irish match since I was eight years old. I'm going to have to reconsider now... I can't watch his Ireland teams. I don't mind negative football if it is well organised. As a defender I would say that a bit of well organised Italian catenaccio is a joy to behold.

But MON's Ireland... I don't know what it is. It's chaotic, organised Sunday league style defending. Like watching a pinball machine or something. It's an attack on my senses.

20. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    It also takes tactical nous, good pre-game preparation, good analysis of the opposition along with game management/decisions to play good negative cautious football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    The interview is some craic, is that a lad on transition year work experience asking the questions :-)
    Havin a weekend away is quite frankly,lettin ur team mates down!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It also takes tactical nous, good pre-game preparation, good analysis of the opposition along with game management/decisions to play good negative cautious football.
    Yeah, Trap's Ireland did it well during his first two years in charge. The match in Paris is probably one of the greatest ever Ireland performances, if not the greatest. We gave away hardly any chances and had the midfield under control.

After that Trap got bored I think... Or maybe Liam Brady (who was on Trap's staff for the first two years) was doing a lot of the behind the scenes work.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I would actually say that Ireland look at their most organised when defending against attack-minded opposition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Delaney says the contract will be signed before Wednesday
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    The Stoke thing doesn't bother me that much re O'Neill's suitability for the Irish job. It's just swamped under the sense of utter 'underwhelmingness' about another campaign of dross under Martin and Roy. I don't know quite what to read into the Stoke affair as facts are absent, but for sure O'Neill should have come out and done a proper (respectful of fans) Q&A instead of hiding behind Delaney's spin on it.