Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A 7-team league First Division Next Year

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

A 7-team league First Division Next Year

If Galway Utd are accepted for next season, is it the FAI's plan to operate a second division of only (7) seven teams?

Because there does not seem to be any other clubs in the country capable or prepared to become members of this arrangement.

Tralee, Mullingar, Monaghan again, Kildare again, Kilkenny again, no more Dublin clubs....... so where are all the new invites coming from to make up a 10 or 12 team league?

Any other options?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Surely even the FAI would think a 7 team league isnt practical? The last few seasons seem to be the first time I remember when non league clubs havent been coming forward to try and get into the league, even teams like Tralee and Mullingar who were keen before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I know it's not quite the same but the u-19 Regional Divisions are 2 divisions of 5 teams.

I think there may be a few reserve teams involved - I don't really have much problem with this - if Shamrock Rovers, Sligo and St Pat's for example wanted to enter teams I don't really see the problem. What would the difference be between them and Salthill Devon who have virtually no support?
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The reserve thing is probably unworkable - it's been floated to a few clubs by all accounts but I'm not sure there's much appetite for it. It would gut the U19 league for a start.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The reserve thing is probably unworkable - it's been floated to a few clubs by all accounts but I'm not sure there's much appetite for it. It would gut the U19 league for a start.
    It would have given Eamon Zayed a place to play!

You're right though, there are some problems and I suppose if a player who is too old for the U19 but isn't good enough for the senior squad isn't really much use for the 'A' side or whatever they'll call it, so there may be limited interest but if some clubs do want to enter a second team I wouldn't see it as an issue.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I suspect it would only work if done in a "A" Championship style format, which would perhaps encourage Tralee/Kerry, Carlow and Fanad to return, a few seasons enabling them to adjust ultimately to a single-division second tier.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I suppose if a player who is too old for the U19 but isn't good enough for the senior squad isn't really much use for the 'A' side or whatever they'll call it
    I wouldn't agree with that... imo many footballers that make it to LOI u19 level haven't had the opportunity to develop themselves to their potential and as only very few make it through to the senior ranks every season, I think it is a huge waste to basically discard them at this point.

Until the horror show that is youth football in Ireland is sorted out in some way, we'll continue to have this problem.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JC_GUFC View Post
    I know it's not quite the same but the u-19 Regional Divisions are 2 divisions of 5 teams.

I think there may be a few reserve teams involved - I don't really have much problem with this - if Shamrock Rovers, Sligo and St Pat's for example wanted to enter teams I don't really see the problem. What would the difference be between them and Salthill Devon who have virtually no support?
    Id be shocked if we entered a team, We haven't the finances or the number of players to have a Reserve team. We didn't even enter the Ulster Senior League at the start of the season (rightly so) when we were offered it.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    I wouldn't agree with that... imo many footballers that make it to LOI u19 level haven't had the opportunity to develop themselves to their potential and as only very few make it through to the senior ranks every season, I think it is a huge waste to basically discard them at this point.

Until the horror show that is youth football in Ireland is sorted out in some way, we'll continue to have this problem.
    They can go and develop at another club then. It's not like its only LOI or nothing. I can only base it on us but entering a reserve team would be pure and utter madness from a financial point of view. It's a struggle enough to keep one team afloat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post

I didn't mean they wouldn't have a future in LoI but to me it wouldn't make much sense for a club to keep on a guy for their reserve squad if they didn't feel he was good enough for their 25-man first team squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    I thought there were a few clubs interested in having a second team? I can understand some peoples apathy towards it but I'd be a supporter of it. The current structure has U19 level and then senior level. Premier clubs who wish to field a team for players out of U19's but not at Premier level should be accommodated. The first division is the only level in between for players not ready for the Premier division. I think there should be restrictions with it i.e. only 3 over the age of 23 players in a match-day squad of the B team. A team would have to be in the Premier for at least one year before they could enter a B team.
    If Limerick for example had a B team in the First division next year, I'd take in games against the likes of Longford, Shels, Waterford, Galway and Harps. Objection from supporters of those clubs to B teams is understandable. Progressive clubs should be supported. It'd be a brave move for any club to enter a B team with costs etc. If a club is willing to do that, why stop them? At other levels of the game there are B and even C teams. Clubs should be allowed to develop players out of the U19's below Premier level. Long-term, I'd like to see the Premier division expanded.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    No way Limerick will have a second team in FD next year.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Cork City had been looking to fielding a reserve team in the Munster Senior League but the Munster Senior League didn't want semi pro's playing against their clubs. but First Division would be a good idea for Cork City and travel costs would be difficult but players who play Reserve and not first team could be ametuer. The only thing is City could just loan players out too Cobh and save on cost.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    The cost is just too much when travel and the like is worked in. I doubt any team will actually be that willing to give it a try.

Lessening the burden of entry is the only way to go here, if the FAI actually wants to keep the FD viable.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    When you take into account the travel costs alone, any club would be mad to want to join. I know that it's absolutely crippling Harps, even with a low playing budget, because our shortest journey last season was Longford - 161km. People wonder why we're lobbying so much for a one tier league.

Next season, we'll be looking at;

Cobh - 425km
    Galway - 230km
    Longford - 161km
    Shelbourne - 225km
    Waterford - 390km
    Wexford - 360km

Absolutely insane amount of travel. All this has to be budgeted for, which leaves very little left for a first team squad budget. The loss of a Galway trip and Athlone make it that little bit more difficult, considering each of the away trips have to be done twice. A southern team like Cork reserves would have a lot less travelling to do, as each of those trips are roughly within a two and a half hour drive.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

16. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Players too old for the U19's but not good enough for the first team of a premier division team, just join a first division club. So not only will be the first division be made a mockery by having reserve teams, the "positive" aspect of it will actually deny the proper clubs players too. Sounds great, looking forward to next season already...
    Last edited by Macy; 04/11/2013 at 7:36 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    I think a Regionalised First Division is the only answer by bringing in the top non league teams - A First Div North & First Div South with the winners of each playing off for title.
    How can Finn harps keep going when they face having to go to Wexford, Waterford & Cobh 3 or 4 times to each place next year.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    When you take into account the travel costs alone, any club would be mad to want to join. I know that it's absolutely crippling Harps, even with a low playing budget, because our shortest journey last season was Longford - 161km. People wonder why we're lobbying so much for a one tier league.

Next season, we'll be looking at;

Cobh - 425km
    Galway - 230km
    Longford - 161km
    Shelbourne - 225km
    Waterford - 390km
    Wexford - 360km

Absolutely insane amount of travel. All this has to be budgeted for, which leaves very little left for a first team squad budget. The loss of a Galway trip and Athlone make it that little bit more difficult, considering each of the away trips have to be done twice. A southern team like Cork reserves would have a lot less travelling to do, as each of those trips are roughly within a two and a half hour drive.

Wouldnt ye still have to go to all those places if it was one tier?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Wouldnt ye still have to go to all those places if it was one tier?
    Yes, but they'd have to go there fewer times.

I think we need a single-tier league, and a commitment to it from the FAI for 5 seasons while they try and put together a decent, workable plan for stopping the steady stream of clubs going to the wall. Release it in good time (after 4 seasons at the very latest) so everyone knows what they're playing for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    Yes, but they'd have to go there fewer times.

I think we need a single-tier league, and a commitment to it from the FAI for 5 seasons while they try and put together a decent, workable plan for stopping the steady stream of clubs going to the wall. Release it in good time (after 4 seasons at the very latest) so everyone knows what they're playing for.
    They would still have Limerick,Cork and the Dublin clubs. The only ones that would be much closer then Longford are Derry and Sligo so the travel expenses wouldnt exactly be coming down a huge amount.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast