Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Latvia - Friday, November 15th 2013 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    But he's so linked with Denis O'Brien now that surely they no longer need to curry favour with two-bit celebs.

I hate singers of the anthem.

Imagine what Poznan v Croatia would have been like. I was nearly brought to tears that night.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It could be a favour of sorts to somebody and Delaney reaps the reward. It could also be just another instalment of the inane planning of the stadium atmosphere experience for fans by idiots, music after the goal type schmaltz, as if a fan's goal celebration need to be enhanced. The singing of the anthem at Ireland games didn't need any interference.
    Anyway, the Garda Band alone provided as much sex appeal enhancement as was needed for such an occasion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    I've no problem with local Irish singers singing the anthem. In fact, I'd support it.
    But Nadia Forde's version goes on forever. It's depressing.

Agree with above post about playing songs after celebrations. Irish Rover and all that ****e. Embarrassing and cringeworthy.
    Imagine they'd done that after Jason McAteer scored against Holland? Would've taken away from the enormity of that goal.

I hear them blasting out Fields of Athenry during Ireland samoa rugby match last weekend just during the game. Not after a try or anything...brutal!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

4. Thanks From:

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    I've no problem with local Irish singers singing the anthem. In fact, I'd support it.

Agree with above post about playing songs after celebrations. Irish Rover and all that ****e. Embarrassing and cringeworthy.
    Imagine they'd done that after Jason McAteer scored against Holland? Would've taken away from the enormity of that goal.

!

Agree with you on the songs after celebrations /goals and affecting the enormity of them.

But equally i would apply that logic to a hired singer who is on the pitch for the anthem....it takes away from the enormity of the anthem

Nothing better than the feeling on big match nite , walking up lansdowne Rd , the nerves flowing through you, the excitment, seeing the stadium and getting ready to unleash everything you got to support the lads..... and bursting your lungs belting out the anthem in unison with your fellow supporters.........thats if Nadia and her like havent come along and squeezed the life out of it
    Last edited by back of the net; 13/11/2013 at 12:57 PM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    surely the players want to hear the fans reaction and support rather that manufactured anthem singing and atmosphere?

manufactured atmosphere is all about the supporters rather than players which rather defeats the purpose of supporters in a stadium. it begars belief that stadiums still insist on false atmosphere gimmicks. both the football and rugby atmospheres have been destroyed in recent years. have the authorities not noticed this???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I know this is really out there, even as conspiracy theories go, but bear with me.

My parents still buy the Sunday Independent, so I flick through it when I'm at home. There's a disproportionally large amount of coverage across the various supplements (business/people/sport/whatever) that make up the paper itself dedicated to minor celebrities in Ireland, mostly including Irish models - Rosanna Davison, Georgia Salpa, Nadia Forde, etc - and it's all fairly positive. I'd struggle to recall a negative piece on any one of them, even interviews with people associated with them rarely (if ever) will have a negative mention of them. Obviously this is because, eventually, they will need to interview one of the models, or use them in a photoshoot, and they, or the agency that represents them, would refuse if the paper had ever published a disparaging story on them. Bearing that in mind, could Delaney (or whoever is responsible) asking her to sing again, even after the negative public reaction to her first rendition of the anthem, be a way to curry favour with the paper, or at the very least keep the negative stories to a minimum?
    That's not at all as out there as it should be Tets. The one and only place I saw a positive appraisal of her ruinous involvement before the Sweden match, allowing for the fact I don't read the Irish Mail or any publication that uses words like 'phwoar' or 'stunner', was in the Independent Woman section -and frankly that read like a press release not a press report.

It occurred to me that if an episode of The Simpsons featured a sketch with a pretty girl with little obvious singing ability yet who gets to sing the national anthem before Springfield Isoptopes games it'd be sniggeringly implied she was blowing Mayor Quimby.

I hear them blasting out Fields of Athenry during Ireland samoa rugby match last weekend just during the game. Not after a try or anything...brutal!
    I guess I DO have a problem with singers being brought in to do the anthem -but she's not even a singer. There is simply no comparison between her singing before our games and a professional singer like Katherine Jenkins -who takes an amount of snobbish 'pop tart' stick from within the operatic community, singing before Welsh rugby games. Maybe Cymru'll know if her involvement is popular over there or not.
    But as has been said better by others its the supporters and players moment - Not a 'platform' for a fashion model (and as she's normally based in Ireland -that means part-time fashion model) to launch a 'singing career' that she'll mercifully abandon anyway after the Christmas Karaoke album bombs and she scores her real dream job presenting 'Take Me Out' or Date my mate or whatever the feck it's called while doing a turn in Gaeity panto with that gowl from TV3.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    It's one thing to play an Irish song after a goal but Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' after a try at the weekend was terrible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    It's one thing to play an Irish song after a goal but Aerosmith's 'Walk This Way' after a try at the weekend was terrible.
    count your lucky stars you missed out on the rugby league world cup game against Australia in Thomond Park at the weekend. Every score was accompanied by a different 70's/80's pop "classic"
    If you didn't hear the scoreline, Ireland lost 50-0. There was a lot of Aussie's singing.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 13/11/2013 at 4:39 PM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Maybe they were saving 'Irish Rover' for when Ireland scored?? Guess we'll never know now....

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Maybe they were saving 'Irish Rover' for when Ireland scored?? Guess we'll never know now....
    Think they are lining this one up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YewVugPHon4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    What is she anyway? A model? Socialite? Don't hear anything about her over in the UK.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I take issue with the repeated references to the 'enormity' of McAteer's goal against the Netherlands. It was actually a very tidy finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by back of the net View Post
    Agree with you on the songs after celebrations /goals and affecting the enormity of them.

But equally i would apply that logic to a hired singer who is on the pitch for the anthem....it takes away from the enormity of the anthem
    yeah you're probably right actually
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,696 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Imagine what Poznan v Croatia would have been like. I was nearly brought to tears that night.
    Me too. And nothing to do with music.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Delaney shows off his street skillz with a few Latvian players:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    How can anybody not like that guy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I'm in work 'til 9 tonight, dagnabbit, and see that Sky won't be showing a repeat of their coverage of the game at any point through the night or on Saturday. I don't suppose someone will be recording the game on RTÉ and putting it online in some form or another, or doing whatever it is you whizzes do?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Me too. And nothing to do with music.
    Good thing you left me and the other lad early so that night. Further tears were nearly brought to our eyes.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Delaney shows off his street skillz with a few Latvian players:

Sign him up Trap err... I mean Martin and Roy!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Only highlights being shown on RTE around 11pm I believe.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast