Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Away ends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Do people consider the security staff when rating away ends? Who are the best/worst in the league?
    Security staff? Well, I can tell you for a start, there's none more comical than Harps 'stewards' when it comes to dealing with anything at all. Without even seeing the rest of the league this season, I can safely say we're any trouble to break out in Finn Park, they'd be the first to run the other way.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Do people consider the security staff when rating away ends? Who are the best/worst in the league?
    Usually not a major issue. UCD have the worst though, one or two fellas in particular.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    The crowd the FAI get when they control security.

I thought that away clubs had to be given access to a certain proportion of seats - you can't just put them on an uncovered terrace and that's the lot?

I still find it hard to believe the Sligo security paint on perimeter wall passes Health and Safety requirements, never mind any football issues.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Security staff? Well, I can tell you for a start, there's none more comical than Harps 'stewards' when it comes to dealing with anything at all. Without even seeing the rest of the league this season, I can safely say we're any trouble to break out in Finn Park, they'd be the first to run the other way.
    Il never forget the harps stewards telling de town fans to sit down when we were celebrating a goal in a cup game up there. Then he picked out someone for shouting at the ref despite the dogs abuse that was been thrown down at us, he was probably the worst steward I've ever seen, bitter and comical at the same time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I still find it hard to believe the Sligo security paint on perimeter wall passes Health and Safety requirements, never mind any football issues.
    I do find it hard to believe that they have to go to those lengths to ensure the crowd are contained. At the same time, i've been in grounds in Italy that have 10 deep, 10 foot wide gaps in between the away end and the pitch, definitely stops crowds rushing onto the pitch.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    I do find it hard to believe that they have to go to those lengths to ensure the crowd are contained. At the same time, i've been in grounds in Italy that have 10 deep, 10 foot wide gaps in between the away end and the pitch, definitely stops crowds rushing onto the pitch.
    There would be no room left in the away stand for away fans lol
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think massive spikes and landmines around the pitch would be a compromise we can all agree on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    There would be no room left in the away stand for away fans lol
    Not suggesting we installed them, just that paint is Sligo isn't that big of a deal in comparison, although not ideal
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Not suggesting we installed them, just that paint is Sligo isn't that big of a deal in comparison, although not ideal
    It's all fine, until there's a genuine need to evacuate the stand quickly and the paint causes delay/ confusion. Are people forgetting why on these islands the need for easy escape on to the pitch is there?

10. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    It's all fine, until there's a genuine need to evacuate the stand quickly and the paint causes delay/ confusion. Are people forgetting why on these islands the need for easy escape on to the pitch is there?
    I take your point but there is more than enough room to escape from that stand. The pitch would only be the secondary means of escape anyway, especially given there are no stairs to negotiate and its at ground floor level.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    I take your point but there is more than enough room to escape from that stand. The pitch would only be the secondary means of escape anyway, especially given there are no stairs to negotiate and its at ground floor level.
    What if the left hand side of the stand went on fire, and the big awkward gates separating the ends of the stand happened to be stuck closed?
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    What if the left hand side of the stand went on fire, and the big awkward gates separating the ends of the stand happened to be stuck closed?
    People might have to weigh up their options, get paint on their clothes or burn to death.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    It's not the Great Wall of China we're talking about. It's still easy enough to climb over it. People have had no problem getting onto the pitch since it was put there. It just stops people leaning up against and standing on it during the game which has reduced the number of times fans have come onto the pitch. Hasn't eradicated it.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pablo Escobar View Post
    People might have to weigh up their options, get paint on their clothes or burn to death.
    Or might make some people pause just long enough to cause a crush situation. It's not something that we, as football supporters, should be blasé about imo. It's the same attitude that lead to barbed wire topped fences in the first place - sure didn't they have gates in them?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Or might make some people pause just long enough to cause a crush situation. It's not something that we, as football supporters, should be blasé about imo. It's the same attitude that lead to barbed wire topped fences in the first place - sure didn't they have gates in them?
    You honestly think a bit of paint is going to make someone pause if there was a chance they were going to be trapped in a fire?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    I've a theory (my dad wouldn't let me test) that the "paint" on the wall in The Showgrounds is flammable.

Would add a whole new fun dimension to climb/get burned to death debate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    You honestly think a bit of paint is going to make someone pause if there was a chance they were going to be trapped in a fire?
    It only needs to make one person pause...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I've a theory (my dad wouldn't let me test) that the "paint" on the wall in The Showgrounds is flammable.

Would add a whole new fun dimension to climb/get burned to death debate.
    The lunacy obviously comes from the mammy, so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Probably a bit on both sides.

Twas my father started bringing me to Limerick games for example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    I do recall some of the locals down in Rathbane ensuring that the clubhouse was.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123