Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839

Thread: Jack Byrne (M Shamrock Rovers b.1996)

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Robbie was a grandfather by that stage, after a long illustrious career with Galaxy, one that was even worthy of a statue in his honour.
    Really? I knew becks got a statue, but did robbie get one?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Mexican league would be slightly stronger in my opinion but the gap is closing. MLS is improving year in year out and at this point in time has supplied European leagues with a decent amount of talent

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    MLS at this point in time has supplied European leagues with a decent amount of talent
    Has it?

A couple of decent youngsters have come from the MLS for sure (Alphonso Davies a good recent example), but that should the case of any league. They go to Europe to finish development and that doesn't really reflect the standard of the MLS. The number of players who left the MLS for Europe last year was tiny for example, and that includes some retirees returning home (Rooney and Zlatan the obvious two).

I think that list of transfers argues quite strongly against the idea that the MLS is supplying European leagues with a decent amount of talent. The 2019 list isn't much better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It’s just a bit of a strange league in that there can be a range of salaries and talents that you rarely see in a European league. Every team has its stars, but in MLS, that gap in pay and quality is huge. The Vancouver Whitecaps just recruited Scotsman Ryan Gauld who was considered one of the best players in the Portuguese league and wanted by Norwich this summer. He’s 25 and in his prime and came to Vancouver for the money. Three goals in three games arriving mid season with no match fitness and could definitely play at a higher level.

Then you’ve got guys on the fringe of the starting lineup who are quite inexperienced or journeymen that might find it tough to get regular minutes in League 1 or 2.

I am based in Vancouver and don’t watch much LoI so my knowledge is limited to Byrne’s Ireland appearances. I was impressed vs Bulgaria and there’s definitely something about him. In MLS I think the challenge is he’s not enough star power to qualify as a Designated Player, and if he’s a bit injury prone, it might be a bad league for him due to the physicality and focus on more athletic players.

The reality is we are currently picking League 1 players in our squad. If Byrne went to MLS and did well, I believe he should be considered for selection.

5. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Released by APOEL FC today. He had twenty-one months left on a twenty-nine month contract.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,310 Posts
    Good interview with Alan Cawley
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    https://audioboom.com/posts/8073263-...ife-long-frien

Twitter doesn't work on a lot of firewalls so just provided the link directly.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 29/04/2022 at 1:06 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 29373839