Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Jack Byrne (M Shamrock Rovers b.1996)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lofty9 View Post
    Whatever has been said, I like his character, i like the fact he’s prepared to travel and challenge himself, I like the fact he’s gone to the ‘pub league’ to reset himself, he’s only 25, he’s a very talented player, and plenty of time to recover from injuries/COVID. When he’s back playing regularly we can revisit whether he’s up to international standard.
    A lot to like about JB as you say lofty. And the further point is that under normal circumstances he really should'nt be near the international set up but he is because of the dire lack of creativity in the team. Other than that the MLS is a very very good standard. If Jack can make it there he will have succeeded

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Is the MLS a "very very good standard"?

I'm not sure. It's a mix of retirement home and people barely making a living out of the game. They've had two Champions League finalists in 20 years - both lost. The Mexican League is much stronger.

In general I think MLS isn't the required level for a decent national squad. But right now, he's worth keeping an eye on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post
    I'd imagine there was a conversation along theses lines; "My last few moves have been a disaster, the managers who signed me never gave me a chance in my preferred position, they wanted me running around flying into tackles like a headless chicken for 90 mins. I'm taking a big risk coming back to Ireland, if I sign, I'd like to know if you're going to play me in my best position?". Which then becomes a rumour that he was a diva and said he'd no interest in tracking back or defending at all ever.

I watched Byrne a lot and if anything his work rate and ability to win the ball back was generally underestimated when he was fully fit. There's no doubt he struggled to get back to speed any time he was out injured and the back injury and covid really seem to have had a major toll on him. Fairly sure there was interviews around the time he had Covid detailing just how badly in effected him at the time.
    He was happy tracking back for Rovers, i remember one particular occasion where he sprinted full tilt half the length of the pitch to tackle a forward breaking away from a cleared corner (which he took! ).
    Bradser commented on it as being typical of the way he was an all round team player.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    A lot to like about JB as you say lofty. And the further point is that under normal circumstances he really should'nt be near the international set up but he is because of the dire lack of creativity in the team. Other than that the MLS is a very very good standard. If Jack can make it there he will have succeeded
    The MLS is certainly not a “very, very good standard”.

It will however suit Jack Byrne and with a bit of luck in terms of fitness I would expect he will do well out there.

Have to wish him all the best as lofty said there is a lot to like about him. He has travelled and continues to do so playing football, earned well in whilst doing so and will continue to as well in the USA.

It is a fantastic life for a young man surely and it’s certainly not his fault that Ireland were at such a low ebb and in such dire need of creativity that they had to go looking in the LOI. Similarly it won’t be Duffy’s if he gets called up. Byrne was the best player in the league at the time, fitted a position/area we badly needed someone for and has got to represent his country a few times.

He is doing rightly.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1 View Post
    erm, yes there is. A strong domestic league is important to our national side, or at least it should be. The point I made was as simple one, he has played in a number of leagues and has been poor in them, save for the LOI where he was the best player for two years in a row. That is an indictment on the league, the league is weak and that is why he stood out as a top player.

Making excuses for him, injury, change of manager only get you so far. He was poor before he was in the LOI and since leaving it, he's been poor. I note those avid followers of the domestic league are exceptionally quick to jump to its defence, but the facts are there for all to see.
    He wasn't poor in League 1 for Oldham (as you'd said earlier) and he wasn't poor in the 7th best league in Europe for Cambuur. Don't take my word for it though, it's all very easy to look into. If he hadn't shown that he could play at a higher level than LoI we wouldn't even be talking about him at this stage.

The facts are indeed there but you're cherry picking the ones you need and outright twisting others to suit your narrative which is less about Jack Byrne and more about the LoI for whatever strange reason. As I've said, you don't need to mention the league at all. We are in a discussion about whether Jack has/had the potential to play for Ireland, a team with League 1 players in it currently, and we have more relevant evidence in the form of him actually playing games for Ireland. So give the league bashing a rest or maybe create your own thread for it? It's really dull.
    Last edited by ontheotherhand; 25/08/2021 at 3:24 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    The MLS is certainly not a “very, very good standard”.

It will however suit Jack Byrne and with a bit of luck in terms of fitness I would expect he will do well out there.

Have to wish him all the best as lofty said there is a lot to like about him. He has travelled and continues to do so playing football, earned well in whilst doing so and will continue to as well in the USA.

It is a fantastic life for a young man surely and it’s certainly not his fault that Ireland were at such a low ebb and in such dire need of creativity that they had to go looking in the LOI. Similarly it won’t be Duffy’s if he gets called up. Byrne was the best player in the league at the time, fitted a position/area we badly needed someone for and has got to represent his country a few times.

He is doing rightly.
    Will beg to differ with you on the standard of MLS. There was a perception 10 years ago or so that it was sub standard, and that was perhaps justified. That does not apply today however. An awful lot of talent in the league. If Jack could establish a playmaker role in any MLS team he would be more than ready to step into the same position in a green shirt

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    also tbf to jack, the guy who told me this may not be 100& credible, my friend also claims he shagged Kate Winslet
    Your mate or Jack Byrne?...

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Will beg to differ with you on the standard of MLS. There was a perception 10 years ago or so that it was sub standard, and that was perhaps justified. That does not apply today however. An awful lot of talent in the league. If Jack could establish a playmaker role in any MLS team he would be more than ready to step into the same position in a green shirt
    Why can't their clubs make any impact at all on the Champions League so?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_pe...ampions_League

I don't follow it but wouldn't the increase in teams getting to the quarters not indicate some degree of improvement stu? That as well as the improving results against teams from Mexico?

Where would you rank the Mexican league/MLS on a global scale? Or versus the English leagues as that's probably easier? League 1/2? I wouldn't have a clue.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Your mate or Jack Byrne?...
    My mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,251 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ontheotherhand View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MLS_pe...ampions_League

I don't follow it but wouldn't the increase in teams getting to the quarters not indicate some degree of improvement stu? That as well as the improving results against teams from Mexico?

Where would you rank the Mexican league/MLS on a global scale? Or versus the English leagues as that's probably easier? League 1/2? I wouldn't have a clue.
    Well there's only 16 teams in it, so getting to the quarters just means winning one round.

It's very hard to say where the leagues come in a global context because they don't really play against each other. A CONCACAF side has only once made the final of the World Club Cup (last year), but it's hard to know how much of a marker that is.

But I think if the MLS was "a very, very good league", it would be better than the Mexican league. And it's clearly not, by a long way. (That's not to say it's not improving, but I think it's a way off being "very very good")

The wage bill for the entire MLS - all 27 clubs - is around the same as Manchester United's. Half of all players each less than €3.5k per week - average League One salary is €5k per week. (I know I'm comparing median and average there, but it's illustrative)

I'm using the argument that salary equates to quality, which doesn't necessarily stack up, but I think studies generally show that there's a very good correlation.

(Also, which had me confused - my stat of two finalists in 20 years differs to that link, where it gives four, but I wasn't counting the Canadian teams, which I should have)
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 25/08/2021 at 9:08 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,352 Posts
    Wilfried Zahibo arrived to Dundalk this year as an MLS all-star. He's been a bit crap in the LOI after great success in MLS.

I can only therefore suggest LOI is far higher standard than MLS.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Wilfried Zahibo arrived to Dundalk this year as an MLS all-star. He's been a bit crap in the LOI after great success in MLS.

That throws our previous conclusion that the LOI is crap because Byrne is being told to bugger off by APOEL up into the air then so we are back to scratch.

Would current Ireland squad win the MLS if we got them into the eastern championship as a franchise ? Could we move to CONCACAF and play in the Gold Cup? Would we win that?

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    So we have Apoel > Jack Byrne > Rovers > MLS = .......Jack is coming home?

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post

He was an all-star in MLS three years ago, not last year.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I watch MLS week in and week out, and it is definitely not up to the English Championship standard, which I also watch weekly. I'd say L1/L2 standard with most teams having one or two players that are has beens cashing in on their name before they retire, and one or two young players, mostly from South America, who might make it in a big league in Europe down the line.

Jack Byrne wouldn't make it in MLS as the league is far too physical. Steven Gerrard got shock when he came over here and Robbie Keane was dropped for the last month of his career in LA because he just couldn't keep up to the pace anymore.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I watch MLS week in and week out, and it is definitely not up to the English Championship standard, which I also watch weekly. I'd say L1/L2 standard with most teams having one or two players that are has beens cashing in on their name before they retire, and one or two young players, mostly from South America, who might make it in a big league in Europe down the line.

Jack Byrne wouldn't make it in MLS as the league is far too physical. Steven Gerrard got shock when he came over here and Robbie Keane was dropped for the last month of his career in LA because he just couldn't keep up to the pace anymore.
    Robbie was a grandfather by that stage, after a long illustrious career with Galaxy, one that was even worthy of a statue in his honour.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    My mate
    Lucky man.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Robbie was a grandfather by that stage, after a long illustrious career with Galaxy, one that was even worthy of a statue in his honour.
    Yeah I don't see why Robbie is thrown in there. He went over at 31 and smashed goals in there for 5 seasons.

Jack Byrne is entering his physical prime, physicality is no excuse for him. This all comes back to this cliche that a lot of Irish fans throw around, that any vaguely technical, average player we have should go "play on the continent as it suits their style more" which is utter nonsense. Like the only thing holding them back is playing in English football.

Gerrard was physically done by the time he arrived in LA at 35, Jack has no such excuse.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the 12 th man View Post
    Lucky man.
    I dont believe him!

25. Thanks From:

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast