Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Jack Byrne

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    SQUAD NEWS | @ShamrockRovers midfielder @Jackb_8 is drafted into Ireland squad for #EURO2020 qualifiers

Read More ➡️ https://t.co/nNdRnAJtsZ #COYBIG https://t.co/qlatHwVCx6
    Wait... What... Why!!?? His career has been drifting badly: Man City to Blackburn to Oldham to Kilmarnock to Shamrock Rovers (with a half-decent loan spell at the smallest Eredivisie side). I know none of the following options are outstanding but surely they have more pedigree than Byrne:
    1. McGeady - tearing it up for Sunderland in League One (should really be in the Championship) and we know what he can do against Georgia.
    2. Shaun Williams, Ryan Manning and Richie Towell - all playing regularly in the Championship
    3. Jake Mulraney and Daryl Horgan - SPL regulars this season
    4. Cyrus Christie - Premier League right-back, could probably be moved to a more advanced midfield role if required

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    I think it's a great move bringing in Byrne and Cullen. They are both talented young footballers.

Whatever mistakes he has made Byrne probably has the talent. If he has that everything else can worked on over time, and time is on his side.

Wes Hoolahan was home playing for Shels at his age. We could have gained so much by involving him years earlier than we did.

3. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Great to see him included in the squad, and josh cullen too, both of which can get the ball down and play.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    With my mindset probably impacted by his past experiences, I think it's too early for him. He has very little even evidence in our league.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Can't understand how he wasn't in the extended squad yet passes out the 4 or 5 guys who were.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    198 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    Can't understand how he wasn't in the extended squad yet passes out the 4 or 5 guys who were.
    Manager watched him. He put in one of the most outstanding individual performances I've ever seen in the League of Ireland. Manager added him to squad. He displayed the type of vision and range of passing that tends to be invaluable at unlocking teams with 11 behind the ball. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some game time tomorrow.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    434 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eitoof View Post
    Neither was Cullen.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,095 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Neither was Cullen.
    same answer. Mick saw both players after the first squad was announced. I think he saw Cullen twice. I'm excited by both call ups.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    654 Posts
    Georgia are a bit different to what he will face in the LOI. Lets see vision is vision but its all relative to who has it with you and who sees it against you.

Always felt reid and keane had good vision, few spotted keanes runs, most often wondered why he was making the wrong runs - yes he did sometimes but others he wasnt waiting for that pass that no one could play into him.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    572 Posts
    I think he won't be far off a run tomorrow.

And he's managed to charm the media this week. David Sneyd, Ken Earley and Richard Barrett have all swooned over his entrance to the press conference the other day when he shook the hand of all of the journalists and introduced himself. They all spoke glowingly of him too - Sneyd and Dion Fanning were on the Second Captains podcast and seemed to have lapped up what he had to say.

He spoke quite well also. I'm sure that doesn't mean he has addressed all of his behavioural issues but hopefully he is on the right track.

13. Thanks From:

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324