Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Byrne (M Shamrock Rovers b.1996)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Went to Google to check up on Oldham Athletic on Google, took me to their Wiki page. Someone seems to have been playing around with it.

Attached Images Attached Images
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I think Oldham were in the top league in the 1970s or 80s, possibly under Joe Royle. I don't like them using the Owl symbol though. John Sheridan has had a few stints as manager there and did well in one or two and Paul Green currently plies his trade there. Their ground is Boundary Park, they play in blue and that's about the sum total of my knowledge off the top of my head.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think Oldham were in the top league in the 1970s or 80s, possibly under Joe Royle. I don't like them using the Owl symbol though. John Sheridan has had a few stints as manager there and did well in one or two and Paul Green currently plies his trade there. Their ground is Boundary Park, they play in blue and that's about the sum total of my knowledge off the top of my head.
    They were in the Premier League for the first two seasons of it. Bit of a gradual decline since.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I remember the bald fella, Ritchie, scoring a header against Southampton in a 'PL classic' to keep them in the division one year. Forget his first name but I think the game was on RTE and Le Tissier scored a hat-trick for Southampton. Mark Hughes denied them a place in the F.A Cup final too of course, deep into injury time with a spectacular volley.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Denis Irwin played for them before joining Man U

8. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Debut for Byrne in the EFL Trophy as Oldham lost on penalties to Gavin Gunning's Port Vale: https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/mat...-on-29-aug-17/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I remember the bald fella, Ritchie, scoring a header against Southampton in a 'PL classic' to keep them in the division one year. Forget his first name .
    Lionel ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Andy Ritchie

The Lactics are Fantastic on Plastic

Mike Milligan played for them too, iirc?

I do like being old, I'll be honest.

13. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Andy Ritchie

The Lactics are Fantastic on Plastic

Mike Milligan played for them too, iirc?

I do like being old, I'll be honest.
    gary kelly (the goalkeeping brother) spent the bulk of his career at boundary park. i guess in the glory years of the premiership?

adam rooney had a largely unsuccessful season there prior to signing for aberdeen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I think another Byrne also played for them, Cliff Byrne, one I had hopes of making the break through.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I think another Byrne also played for them, Cliff Byrne, one I had hopes of making the break through.
    he's coaching at Sunderland now I think

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Byrne was interviewed in the Oldham Chronicle on Thursday. but the company went into administration today, so the article is no longer online!
    Fortunately, the google cache of the interview is still available
    Byrne ready for new start

Reporter: Matthew Chambers
    Date online: 31 August 2017

JACK Byrne was acclaimed as a potential star when lighting up the top flight in Holland and now, the confident young midfielder from Dublin is fighting for a route back towards international recognition.

Athletic's new recruit (21) shone in patches during the low-key Checkatrade Trophy draw with Port Vale with his sharp passing and keen movement.

It was those qualities - and an eye for a goal - that saw him impress enough in the Eredivisie with small-town club SC Cambuur two seasons ago to be called up to the full Republic of Ireland squad while still a teenager.

GOALS

His performances then, over 27 league appearances which produced four goals, led to a Cambuur supporters' group spokesperson comparing him favourably to Dutch midfield legend Wesley Sneijder.

"You have to live up to that potential, but the loan move to Blackburn didn't go as planned and it set me back a couple of months," reflected Byrne, of a loan switch last season from Manchester City that brought with it only seven appearances for the Ewood Park club in league and cup.

"Warren Joyce was then sacked at Wigan a few weeks after I had signed for them on a three-and-a-half year contract. These things happen in football and you have to go again and dust yourself off.

"You start again every season. Every season is different and anything can happen. I am at Oldham now. Holland was a great experience and I would love to go back there and play again. But I can't thank the gaffer here enough for this opportunity."

COACHED

Byrne was coached in the Blues' academy from the age of 14, after moving over here from his native Ireland, and progressed under the tutelage of Patrick Vieira within the Elite Development Squad.

In breaking ties with City, though, that move to Wigan prior to manager Joyce departing has seen him frozen out under the new charge of Paul Cook and needing to find a path to regularly featuring in the EFL.

On loan to Athletic up until January 1, Byrne now has the chance to show what he can really do in front of a domestic audience.

"My club football got me into the Ireland squad in the first place - scoring against PSV, being man of the match against Feyenoord and being in the team of the week after Ajax - but it has slowed down since then," he said.

"The two or three games a week last year was difficult for me and I couldn't adapt.

"That's what I am looking forward to this time around and putting that to bed."

As for the qualities in Athletic's squad from what he has seen so far, he does not believe the quality gap between top and bottom in Sky Bet League One is too large.

"I have been at Wigan and most of Blackburn's team is still there from last year. So I know what the quality is like at the other end - and we are not far off," Byrne said.

"You don't get that many scoring opportunities at this level, as teams want the ball away from their goal as possible at times. That's English football.

"If we can take our chances, it won't be a problem for us."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Byrne was interviewed in the Oldham Chronicle on Thursday. but the company went into administration today, so the article is no longer online!
    Fortunately, the google cache of the interview is still available
    The accuracy at which he listed off his achievements at Cambuur is very odd. He has a lot of work to do.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    gary kelly (the goalkeeping brother) spent the bulk of his career at boundary park
    Did he wear the black tunic thing when he was playing or did the church give him a special dispensation?

JP2 would have been fairly sympathetic to a goalie tbf.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

20. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    byrne starts for oldham today. currently 2-3 down at home to charlton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Scored late on, Eoin Doyle with the assist. Currently 4-3 to Charlton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Scored late on, Eoin Doyle with the assist. Currently 4-3 to Charlton
    Good start for the lad (minus the defeat).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Good start for the lad (minus the defeat).
    Jack Byrne - you need to keep up the good work for Oldham. Two / three good performances in a row from you (even though the results haven't been the best).
    Keep it up because my God we need you in the Irish midfield after the evidence of today's game against Georgia.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Jack Byrne - you need to keep up the good work for Oldham. Two / three good performances in a row from you (even though the results haven't been the best).
    Keep it up because my God we need you in the Irish midfield after the evidence of today's game against Georgia.
    Yeah but the problem is our play bypasses midfield, keeper launches to the big man up front. Battering ram football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    167 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Park_Lane View Post
    Yeah but the problem is our play bypasses midfield, keeper launches to the big man up front. Battering ram football.
    Agreed. But from what I saw of Byrne in Holland (why the hell didn't he go back there instead of Oldham?) he came looking for the ball and demanded the best from team mates, like Roy Keane used to do.

Page 18 of 39 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast