Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Byrne (M Shamrock Rovers b.1996)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passinginterest View Post

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him move at the end of the domestic season, and I'd be amaze if an agent couldn't get him a championship side if he really wanted it. He's probably more suited to playing somewhere like Holland again though and you'd have to think he has some sort of links and reputation there after performing solidly previously. I do get the feeling he's just in a good place at home though and he's not in any hurry to jump into a move away again.
    His agent is former Ireland international Graham Barrett I think

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Maybe because he's a homebird, who isn't in a hurry to go away again and clubs have been made aware? He seems to have had a really hard time mentally in the last few years he was away, if he's home and happy and values that more than money and career advancement could anyone really blame him?

I wouldn't be overly surprised to see him move at the end of the domestic season, and I'd be amaze if an agent couldn't get him a championship side if he really wanted it. He's probably more suited to playing somewhere like Holland again though and you'd have to think he has some sort of links and reputation there after performing solidly previously. I do get the feeling he's just in a good place at home though and he's not in any hurry to jump into a move away again.

I'm married to someone who could be offered the Euro millions jackpot tomorrow but if she was told she'd have to move away to claim it and wouldn't be able to see her family for weeks on end I can absolutely guarantee she'd turn it down. Home and family can be an unbelievably strong draw for some, especially if they've had a traumatic experience away.
    If she does win it can I have the Money ?

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    His agent is former Ireland international Graham Barrett I think
    That would make sense, he represents a lot of the Rovers lads and ex league of Ireland players these days as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    If she does win it can I have the Money ?
    It's mine, I'm more than happy to live away and only see her the odd time

Tallaght Stadium Regular

5. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    If Only Eamonn Dunphy was still in his Prime and had the Hots for Jack ~ ~ ~

Just think Jack ~ ~ You could have been another of Eamonn Dunphy’s ~ ~ " Not Playing Messiahs "

You have been spared that Jack Byrne ! ! Praise the Lord ! !

Old Dunphy would be very unlikely to have the hots for a LOI player mind ! !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,611 Posts
    Hi. I think im lost. Was looking for the "Glen Crowe for Ireland" thread and must have took a wrong turn..

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    "I'm married to someone who could be offered the Euro millions jackpot tomorrow but if she was told she'd have to move away to claim it and wouldn't be able to see her family for weeks on end I can absolutely guarantee she'd turn it down"

I'm getting this on a t-shirt

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I'm married to someone who could be offered the Euro millions jackpot tomorrow but if she was told she'd have to move away to claim it and wouldn't be able to see her family for weeks on end I can absolutely guarantee she'd turn it down. Home and family can be an unbelievably strong draw for some, especially if they've had a traumatic experience away.
    You would have to offer me the jackpot to stay if it meant hanging around with my family and old friends.

Jack Byrne grew up in the North Inner City very close to me and I remember from my youth thinking how the streets were paved with gold.
    Last edited by youngirish; 02/10/2020 at 4:49 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    "I'm married to someone who could be offered the Euro millions jackpot tomorrow but if she was told she'd have to move away to claim it and wouldn't be able to see her family for weeks on end I can absolutely guarantee she'd turn it down"

I'm getting this on a t-shirt
    WHat kind of t-shirt will it be? A wedding dress?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, a Fifpro survey for me trumps a random punter claiming extra knowledge because he's in the terraces each week.

Now if the Fifpro survey included First Division players (and I don't know if it does or not), then you've a valid counter-argument against it as the FD would certainly skew the results towards part-time players.

Edit - in fact, read the article (duh)...

It does include First Division players. In 2016 (when the survey dates from), the PD/FD split was 12 v 8 teams. So if you assume the players were split accordingly, and that all the FD players had second jobs, the report is saying that 40% of PD players also have second jobs. Which is still a lot.

If Limerick - splashing the cash in the FD that year - had some full-time players, then that would reduce the number of PD full-timers.
    A Fifpro survey from four years ago doesn't have any relevance to now. Right now, most players in the league are full time, don't work other jobs and for the most part train during the day. There's a few reasons for that but the numbers of professionals have gone up quite significantly in the past few years.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    You mean go to games?
    Only home games, still working on my YBIG credentials.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ColourfulPeanut View Post
    I follow the League of Ireland too, way to have a superiority complex about it though. I'm just not incredibly biased towards it. The FIFPro survey trumps you I'm afraid.

I'm glad you seem to know every team and player personally to know their arrangements.
    I'm not saying it to have a superiority complex, I'm saying it because you seem to be basing your knowledge off google. Of the 10 Premier Division clubs, eight of them train during the day, which precludes most supplementary work. The other two, as Nigel pointed out with Harps, have a large number of players who also do nothing but get paid to play football. I know there are players who still work outside of football but it's a small number. In fact, there are plenty of players who will drop down to the First Division or lower so they can keep their day jobs because it is no longer feasible to do both.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    He's linked in a FIFA survey of LoI players, which you've dismissed for no reason at all (I've already responded to Nigel who tried to dismiss it for being four years old) while insisting that you know better just because, it seems, you watch the games.

I don't think your argument is reasonable here.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Fine, I'll drop out of the discussion. The vast majority don't have second jobs but no point arguing the point.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    In fairness, you never really entered the discussion.

Your sum contribution is -

You can continue saying Jack Byrne is playing against part-timers and it will continue not being true.
    Just your opinion.

I'm sure your sources are fantastic but some of us actually follow the League of Ireland.
    I can understand where the superiority complex accusation came from reading this.

A Fifpro survey from four years ago doesn't have any relevance to now.
    It really does, for reasons that have been discussed on the thread.

So in effect, you've just waded in, made a claim, given no back-up for it whatsoever, and then gone into a strop when people have challenged that with actual evidence (ie Fifpro)

Those making the case on the part-time nature of the LoI may still be wrong of course - but at least they're trying to enter into a discussion. Your position is that you're right, and any evidence to the contrary must be wrong.

That's not a discussion.

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    148 Posts
    Heard from a reliable source that he's been offered a contract with a Cypriot team. The fella said it's the club where Mick is.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness, you never really entered the discussion.

Your sum contribution is -

Just your opinion.

I can understand where the superiority complex accusation came from reading this.

It really does, for reasons that have been discussed on the thread.

So in effect, you've just waded in, made a claim, given no back-up for it whatsoever, and then gone into a strop when people have challenged that with actual evidence (ie Fifpro)

Those making the case on the part-time nature of the LoI may still be wrong of course - but at least they're trying to enter into a discussion. Your position is that you're right, and any evidence to the contrary must be wrong.

That's not a discussion.
    Well said.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Mr Bungle mentioned APOEL as a possible destination for Byrne some weeks ago. Do we think this would be a good move?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39832173.html

The Cypriot League is ranked 14th by UEFA, ahead of the Greek and Swiss leagues, the LoI behind Luxembourg's and Liechtenstein's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trequartista20 View Post
    Mr Bungle mentioned APOEL as a possible destination for Byrne some weeks ago. Do we think this would be a good move?

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-39832173.html

The Cypriot League is ranked 14th by UEFA, ahead of the Greek and Swiss leagues, the LoI behind Luxembourg's and Liechtenstein's.
    Lot of Pro's and Con's really.

Pro's:

Lot of money among the top teams there.
    Naturally, be playing in warm weather and on good pitches for the vast majority of the season.
    Knows the manager already.
    Likely be an English speaking group, with McCarthy in charge.
    Probably a decent wage bump for him, although it's said there's a very healthy offer on the table from Shamrock Rovers for him.

Con's:

It's not the most stable league (same can, of course be said for the LOI)
    APOEL have had 9 managers since 2017. (As well as a tenth interim manager)
    Attendances are poor enough in Cyprus, not a whole lot better than LOI for the best part.
    Well out of the way for Stephen Kenny to go to watch him play.
    APOEL have had a poor start to the season and are highly unlikely to win the league this year, barring some sort of miracle turnaround, so there'd be a race to even qualify for the Europa League, never mind the Champions League. Cypriot teams only start in the next qualifying round to the LOI sides. They failed to qualify for Europa League group stages this season too.

There's a fair whack of money pumped into the top sides in Cyprus, so that's the single best thing he'll get out of it. Standard of the top teams is undoubtedly higher than that of the LOI, so it'll be more competitive for the best part.

I'm not entirely convinced of the move to be honest, and that's without a shred of LOI bias here. I'd like to see him hold out for a bigger move tbh. Rumoured interest from England and MLS too. Somewhat cliché by now, but somewhere like Belgium or Holland would be a far better suit for him.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

26. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    I was slightly underwhelmed by the link to be honest, but it does represent a step up in standard, and the likes of Hungary, Finland. Norway, Slovakia and Greece are happy to call up players from the Cypriot First Division.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Kenny can get Mick to send reports. Or he can probably watch a stream if needs be.

Liechtenstein doesn't have a league btw, so while the LoI is behind it in the UEFA coefficients, it's not correct to imply we're behind the Liechtenstein league. Their coefficient is FC Vaduz, who are just a Swiss first/second tier side who happen to play in Liechtenstein.

APOEL are only 6/7 points off Europe less then half way through the season. Long way to go yet.

I think it's a clear step up for him. It's only a pity APOEL are out of Europe, because it is the kind of league where you may well find yourself moving on by the end of the season.

Page 30 of 39 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast