Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Under-17 Squad

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,093 Posts
    At a club like Norwich, you would have to imagine a prolific youth striker like that would get opportunities earlier than he would at other clubs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Glen McAuley back scoring for Liverpool U18s in their 2-2 draw against Man utd. Lee O'Connor got an assist for United:https://www.premierleague.com/match/...td-v-liverpool
    https://www.hartlepoolunited.co.uk/n...up-highlights/ mccauley goal around tge 4.20

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    josh knight scored winning pen as derby knocked out man utd. he has 6 goals already this season for derby under 18s . he is an under 17 international this season like idah

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Jason Knight (there's a Josh at Leicester, not Irish though). Derby and Norwich are actually playing each other in the next round so a bit of interest there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    ‘It was a night to remember’ – Irish striker excited about his future at Norwich after Youth Cup hat-trick: http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/i...ture-1-5319481
    Michael Obafemi also scored a hat-trick for Southampton in the FA Youth Cup.

Videos of his goals here: http://www.punditarena.com/football/...ton-hat-trick/

As far as I know, Obafemi is playing for us at under-19 level at the minute. (Is there an under-19s thread?)

Does anyone know was he born in Ireland or how does he qualify for us? He seems to have a London accent from this interview:

He mentions having played for a Sunday league team when he first got into football before playing for Leyton Orient, but I can't make out the name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    https://southamptonfc.com/u18s/michael-obafemi

According to Southampton website, born in Ireland but raised in Hornchurch.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    https://southamptonfc.com/u18s/michael-obafemi

According to Southampton website, born in Ireland but raised in Hornchurch.
    He's possibly eligible for England too then. I see the Southampton site have an England flag next to his name actually. From his surname, I'm guessing he's of Nigerian descent, so may well be eligible for them as well.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    ‘It was a night to remember’ – Irish striker excited about his future at Norwich after Youth Cup hat-trick: http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/i...ture-1-5319481
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    At a club like Norwich, you would have to imagine a prolific youth striker like that would get opportunities earlier than he would at other clubs.
    That's likely true and you can actually see that happening with our up-and-coming strikers by comparing their respective advances: We've been talking about Glen McAuley for over a year now and he's had one outstanding season in Liverpool U18s and seems to be having another good one this year. And yet there's no real sign of him moving up to the U23s anytime soon (I'm open to correction on this, but I think he's only been an unused sub a couple of times). Whereas Idah, who only arrived in England over the summer, tasted U23 action a few weeks ago. Meanwhile Aaron Connolly and Jonathan Afolabi, who are both the same age as McAuley, are semi-regulars in the Brighton and Southampton U23 teams, respectively, with Connolly making his senior debut in the EFL Cup a couple of months ago. So it does look like it's easier to progress outside the biggest teams in the Premier League, which creates a dilemma for McAuley - should he hang on at a club with more resources and try to get the most out of their Academy program with a possibly vain hope of breaking into the first team, or should he drop a level or two in order to have a better chance at progressing faster at a smaller club?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    True, but McAuley is playing and scoring in the uefa youth league, arguably a higher level than premier league two.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What's the story with that CL youth competition anyway? Do clubs just qualify on the basis that their first team have qualified for the main version? Seems to be the same fixtures any time I notice it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Yeah, if the senior team is in the champions league, then the academy side is in the youth league. Not sure what happens if the youth team wins the competition, but the senior team doesn't qualify for next season's champions league - are they allowed to defend their title?

12. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,214 Posts
    Yes as of this season (Red Bull Salzburg qualified this way)

They enter the domestic champions' path, which is for the title-holders of the top 32 ranked countries whose underage champions did not have their senior team reach the Champions' League proper.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    True, but McAuley is playing and scoring in the uefa youth league, arguably a higher level than premier league two.
    I'd have to disagree - I don't think 30 minutes and 1 goal over two games against Maribor U19s is playing at a higher level than coming up against players in their early 20s and the odd senior team player coming back from injury. It is a sign, at least, that he is making some progress, but if he doesn't break into the U23s or get a loan by next season, then I reckon he should look elsewhere for regular football.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Michael Obafemi also scored a hat-trick for Southampton in the FA Youth Cup.

Videos of his goals here: http://www.punditarena.com/football/...ton-hat-trick/

As far as I know, Obafemi is playing for us at under-19 level at the minute. (Is there an under-19s thread?)

Does anyone know was he born in Ireland or how does he qualify for us? He seems to have a London accent from this interview:

He mentions having played for a Sunday league team when he first got into football before playing for Leyton Orient, but I can't make out the name.
    Obafemi was a sub during the recent U19 qualifiers, coming on late in two games so hopefully we can hold on to him as he's having a terrific season at club level. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this is probably the first time that two Irish strikers have scored hat-tricks in the same round of the FA Youth Cup - along with recent hat-tricks for Idah for our U17s, Jayson Molumby for our U19s, Reece Grego-Cox for the U21s and Aaron Connolly in the U18 Premier League Cup, things are starting to look up

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    in fairness didnt liverpool pay big money (million plus) for mccauley which is lifechanging money.if parents put it in a trust for him until he is 25 what a great start to life even if football doesnt work out. would it be iresponsible of a parent to knock that back and ask kid to go somewhere with very little money when the chances of a career in football are still tiny?

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    in fairness didnt liverpool pay big money (million plus) for mccauley which is lifechanging money.if parents put it in a trust for him until he is 25 what a great start to life even if football doesnt work out. would it be iresponsible of a parent to knock that back and ask kid to go somewhere with very little money when the chances of a career in football are still tiny?
    I don't know if Liverpool did pay that much for him, but Masterson and O'Hanlon both went there for that kind of money

18. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    No, none of them went for remotely close to that kind of money. Five figure sums at most.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,305 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    No, none of them went for remotely close to that kind of money. Five figure sums at most.
    This report in the Herald claims Masterson went for €1m: https://www.herald.ie/sport/other-sp...-28014103.html

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    That's how much he could hypothetically earn from his contract if he advances to the first team, etc. I admit I did misread the original post and thought Liamo was referring to the transfer fee Liverpool paid.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    idah gets first start for their 21 s tonight against brighton who have hutchinson and connolly playing

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    idah gets first start for their 21 s tonight against brighton who have hutchinson and connolly playing
    Great news for both Idah and Connolly in particular. On top of that, Michael Obafemi has been rewarded for his recent excellent form with a promotion to the Southampton U23s for their draw against Reading. Jonathan Afolabi came on as a second-half and Josh Barrett played for Reading: https://www.premierleague.com/match/...-v-southampton

Pretty soon we'll have to take discussions about Idah, Connolly, Obafemi and Afolabi to the U23 thread. Any chance of one of them showing up in the matchday squad for the FA Cup third round in January?

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast