Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: (Very early) Transfer gossip/squad retention

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ATFC-1887 View Post
    Yeh i was told Alan Byrne and Schlingernan were coming with Cooke alright. Told Schlingerman is coming even if cooke doesnt come. Starting to think id prefer Cooke to Roddy.
    Have to agree with MiniMourinho on Cooke. Obviously the decision makers have no idea as to why Drogheda are not renewing his contract but hopefully they find out before its too late. As for Schlingerman signing without knowing who the manager is??? Did you make this up yourself??
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Yes i made it up as i was typing it
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Mini Mourinho is clearly a Drogs board member, hasn't a good word to say about Cooke.
    As a Drogs fan the apparently imminent announcement of Robbie Horgan does not instil me with any great degree of satisfaction, Martin Russel and a former D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    There are a lot of angry people in Drogheda. If Robbie Horgan gets the job, he will need to make a good impression from the beginning. I was talking to a Drogs fan I know through local football. He was one of the people who went door to door in 2008 collecting money to keep the club alive. Now he is talking about a boycott.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    There are a lot of angry people in Drogheda. If Robbie Horgan gets the job, he will need to make a good impression from the beginning. I was talking to a Drogs fan I know through local football. He was one of the people who went door to door in 2008 collecting money to keep the club alive. Now he is talking about a boycott.
    Interesting position to take - each to their own. For me most haven't a clue what's happened with Cooke (me included) hence it's impossible to say who is at fault - board or Cooke . All we get is rumours from both sides and as I get older I've learned to ignore rumours out of Utd as they are usually propaganda from one side or another.

So I'm not sure how or why a boycott of the club is a constructive action.

Unless he means walking away from the club in disgust (as he sees it) which I can understand (as many are very annoyed). But a boycott?

But if that's their position then they are fully entitled to take whatever (legal lol) action they want.

Very true about Horgan , he will have a lot of pressure on him.

I'm waiting to see how many players he can retain (his first major test).

I actually think he is an interesting option - he knows the players, has been heavily involved in the successes and more of a known entity than an outsider.

Maybe he (as number two) was a major factor in Cooks success and maybe he wasn't, first few games will tell.

Lol assuming he gets the post (but rumours are strongly indicating he will).

Although I fully understand some peoples major annoyance and differing views on the issues, I'm personally looking extremely forward to the new season.
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    At least one things for sure, the league starts on 7th March 2014

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    Mini Mourinho is clearly a Drogs board member, hasn't a good word to say about Cooke.
    As a Drogs fan the apparently imminent announcement of Robbie Horgan does not instil me with any great degree of satisfaction, Martin Russel and a former D
    Clearly!

Funny how I cant have an anti-Mick Cooke opinion without being labelled a board member! Just pathetic! Ive got a very valid reason not to like Cooke, thanks very much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Players confirmed so far for Bohemians

" new signing Lee Murphy, the former Shels
    goal-keeper.

Re-signed from the past season’s squad are: Dean Delaney, Roberto Lopes,
    Dave Mulcahy, Derek Pender, Keith Buckley, Karl Moore, Andy Mulligan,
    Stephen Traynor and Dinny Corcoran."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    see it on twitter Stephen Rice is gone from rovers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    272 Posts
    see it on twitter Stephen Rice is gone from rovers
    be very interesting to see where he ends up there are lack of options in Dublin, Bohs,Bray & $hels broke and I dont think Bucko would touch him and past that dont think Kenny would take him in Dundalk either I think he has had his last big pay day in the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    maybe he will ventre down the country

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Surely Limerick will throw him a few quid

Is he any good?

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    Surely Limerick will throw him a few quid

Is he any good?
    He'd do a job for us. Would be a good player to have in the middle of the park with a potentially young midfield.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The scenario on the Mick Cooke thing was something like this.
    Two former directors have helped oput together a consortium from the UK that hope to buy Hunky Dory Park and help develop it as a regional medical centre with the HSE, it will in effect be a massive medical shopping centre area, right beside the Lourdes Hospital.
    The same consortium have agreed to advance money for the development of the new stadium, the opposite side of the town on land donated by Coke, as soon as the whole medical idea gets planning permission, that happened a few weeks back, so things are ready to move.
    Cooke was introduced to the consortium as the go to man in the club for football, and the current board didn't like that as they don't want to deal with any of the old directors.
    This was augmented by the fact that Robbie Horgan has effectively been touting for Cookes job, he has been drip feeding stuff to the board which led to Mini Mourinho and his mates speaking to Cooke over team selection etc, and while on the first two occasions the manager passed this off, he eventually snapped at the constant interference and told the chairman where to get off.
    This came to a head shortly after the board had withdrawn their contract offer, when chairman Jim Agnew and Cooke were seen by fans to be involved ina heated discussion on the Oriel Park pitch after we had lost 1-0 in a league match.
    The board who have to be commended for their efforts in sorting out financial matters, have seriously mis managed this whole thing, and if Horgan gets the job, as appears likely, although Martin Russell and possibly ex Drog Sami Ristalia are outsiders,the likelihood of a fans boycott will increase.
    In typical Drogheda fashion though it is unlikely to be anything organised, more a case of lads being that disillusioned at the boards actions they will just not bother going.
    Things have got extremely messy up there, the kit man the legendary Dave 'Cabbage' Kavangh has departed, and was involved in a bizzarre incident after the cup final, when as is tradition the players kept their shirts as souvenirs, some board members requested Cabbage to get them back as the kit belonged to the club, what he said in response is not fit to be printed here.
    The general feeling amongst most Drogs is that whoever managed to engineer a situation in which Mick Cooke departed, and it certainly was NOT Cooke, needs to have his head resting alongside that of St Oliver Plunketts in St Peter Chapel.
    Now while all of the above may not be 100% accurate in timescale and as to how things actually played out, the facts are all there.
    At least one member of the current board is considering his position, and to give you an indication of how frustrated people have got, have a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-VTWtSc1E#t=17

That's local; radio football commentator Gerry Kelly, normally the mildest mannered of men telling the board his feelings after the last game of the season against Bohs.
    The fans have been saying much the same as well.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Lots of questions arise from this.

And what sort of record would these former directors have on the whole running Drogheda United / property deals front?

And why would they get in touch with Cooke? Surely they should be dealing with the board and indeed being open with the fans if they want to get this wonder deal for DUFC done? Are we to believe that the people in charge at Drogheda have gone so mad so quickly that they now hold back the club they helped save? How can the old directors have planning on a site they don't own?
    Last edited by Mr A; 12/11/2013 at 10:17 PM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Answers in order.

I don't know what sort of record they would have on property deals, although as one of them is a highly respected solicitor I would suggest everything is above board on this.
    The reason they got in touch with Cooke was a courtesy gesture to introduce the consortium to the main football man in the club.
    Yes it would seem that the people in charge have gone mad quite quickly, there appears to be no other logical explanation as to why they would rule out the possibility of acquiring fresh finance just because of the people who may have arranged it.
    At the very least they have a duty of obligation to the fans and club to explore all avenues even if they end up deciding to decline any proposition.
    As regards the planning permission I believe it is the HSE that are involved in that and that they have permission to build this medical complex, and the consortium will provide the finance.
    I don't know the whole ins and outs of that.
    What I do know is the board have cost us arguably our best ever manager.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepersBall View Post
    The scenario on the Mick Cooke thing was something like this.
    Two former directors have helped oput together a consortium from the UK that hope to buy Hunky Dory Park and help develop it as a regional medical centre with the HSE, it will in effect be a massive medical shopping centre area, right beside the Lourdes Hospital.
    The same consortium have agreed to advance money for the development of the new stadium, the opposite side of the town on land donated by Coke, as soon as the whole medical idea gets planning permission, that happened a few weeks back, so things are ready to move.
    Cooke was introduced to the consortium as the go to man in the club for football, and the current board didn't like that as they don't want to deal with any of the old directors.
    This was augmented by the fact that Robbie Horgan has effectively been touting for Cookes job, he has been drip feeding stuff to the board which led to Mini Mourinho and his mates speaking to Cooke over team selection etc, and while on the first two occasions the manager passed this off, he eventually snapped at the constant interference and told the chairman where to get off.
    This came to a head shortly after the board had withdrawn their contract offer, when chairman Jim Agnew and Cooke were seen by fans to be involved ina heated discussion on the Oriel Park pitch after we had lost 1-0 in a league match.
    The board who have to be commended for their efforts in sorting out financial matters, have seriously mis managed this whole thing, and if Horgan gets the job, as appears likely, although Martin Russell and possibly ex Drog Sami Ristalia are outsiders,the likelihood of a fans boycott will increase.
    In typical Drogheda fashion though it is unlikely to be anything organised, more a case of lads being that disillusioned at the boards actions they will just not bother going.
    Things have got extremely messy up there, the kit man the legendary Dave 'Cabbage' Kavangh has departed, and was involved in a bizzarre incident after the cup final, when as is tradition the players kept their shirts as souvenirs, some board members requested Cabbage to get them back as the kit belonged to the club, what he said in response is not fit to be printed here.
    The general feeling amongst most Drogs is that whoever managed to engineer a situation in which Mick Cooke departed, and it certainly was NOT Cooke, needs to have his head resting alongside that of St Oliver Plunketts in St Peter Chapel.
    Now while all of the above may not be 100% accurate in timescale and as to how things actually played out, the facts are all there.
    At least one member of the current board is considering his position, and to give you an indication of how frustrated people have got, have a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sy-VTWtSc1E#t=17

That's local; radio football commentator Gerry Kelly, normally the mildest mannered of men telling the board his feelings after the last game of the season against Bohs.
    The fans have been saying much the same as well.
    Honestly dont know where to start with this, so im just not goin to! Your novel belongs in the fantasy section though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMourinho View Post
    Honestly dont know where to start with this, so im just not goin to! Your novel belongs in the fantasy section though.
    Why have Drogheda United not allowed the facts to emerge?

I speak to a lot of people from Drogheda and there are enough theories about Cooke to write 10 novels. You do realise that in the absence of any authoritive information, people will speculate and this will only fuel the anger and division that is there.

There are ways of getting information in the public without having to issue an official press release. The board have done wonders stabilising the club, something I didn't think was possible in 2008. But they haven't a clue about PR.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    J Chambers, B Dennehy, D Elebert, D Ledwith, C McCormack, K Oman, C Powell, S Rice, T Stewart all released by Rovers.

Whatever about a few of them , but not giving Rice and McCormack a new deal could, and I believe , Will, backfire spectacularly in Trevor's clueless mush.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Why have Drogheda United not allowed the facts to emerge?
    They took legal advice on the issue. The advice in order to best protect the club from any legalities was to say nothing. Have you seen the recent crowd numbers!? Unfortunately in financial terms the club is not well-off enough to protect itself in any legal battle.

Worse so, even though the club made this information public some people have chosen to ignore it and pretend as if they are saying nothing because they have a deep, dark secret to hide. Poor form for people who have nothing better to do with their time.

.......now im off to a board meeting. Chat later!

Page 11 of 78 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast