Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOI Players in Kings National Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Thumbs up LOI Players in Kings National Squad

http://www.thescore.ie/noel-king-air...19932-Oct2013/

Dundalk’s Richie Towell, Kurtis Byrne, Andy Boyle and John Sullivan and David Elebert of Shamrock Rovers will have a session with the senior squad today.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    King certainly making all the populist moves. Bringing back the exiled players, dropping the unpopular ones and now throwing a bone the league's way. We'll see how his team performs but he has certainly nailed the PR aspect.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, good move.

Other players/clubs were approached but turned the request down (on the basis of preparing for important league games this weekend). Dundalk clearly didn't mind. Rovers released their 4th choice centre half.

Nice pick me up for the Dudnalk players who were clearly down after the weekend.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    John Sullivan? The ex Shels midfielder?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    John Sullivan? The ex Shels midfielder?
    Yeah, he's been playing right back this season and has done well.

Dundalk released the players to give them a lift after a very difficult weekend. Good man management by Kenny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Great move by Kinger. Can't really lose with that move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Massive respect for Noel King on this. A league of Ireland inclusion with nothing in the world to lose. Good prospects with a chance to mix it with more experienced players and a taster for these players in terms of what they need to do to perhaps get future call ups and perhaps some grounding for them in terms of where they really are as opposed to where they sometimes think they are. There are some fantastic young players, unavailable understandably this week, who i'd love to see included in furture squads if only for the inclusion itself.

Great PR move though and it'll be a shame if the future appointment returns to a backs to the League of Ireland outlook.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Let's keep him as manager!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Similar to what's done in the rugby. There is a training squad which gets cut down to a final squad. Always thought it would be a good idea to include some LOI players in the training squads for reasons mentioned above.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Let's keep him as manager!
    He should have some involvement in the management staff anyway.
    He's doing all the right things in fairness to him since he took temporary charge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Hats off to Noel King.

It would be great to see things go one step further and see a player receive a full call up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Well i dunno if barstoolers/journos would feel the same. I think none of them are saying anything right now because they don't know who he is, and they are waiting for a result before they can comment. And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him. That's a big problem when picking any manager .... the football viewing public is fairly stunted when they have to think beyond SkySports, its not an attach on them, its just stating a stumbling block.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Well i dunno if barstoolers/journos would feel the same. I think none of them are saying anything right now because they don't know who he is, and they are waiting for a result before they can comment. And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him. That's a big problem when picking any manager .... the football viewing public is fairly stunted when they have to think beyond SkySports, its not an attach on them, its just stating a stumbling block.
    Its quite the opposite actually. LOI fans KNOW he's a ****e manager. "Barstoolers" aren't sure yet

Good luck to him and all but there's a reason he couldn't get a job in the LOI for years...
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Jesus, Dodge, thank god someone interrupted the love-in. I'm a LoI fan through and through, don't have an English team I'm particularly interested in, and would rather spend a cold evening at Belfield than whoop it up at a World Cup qualifier. But this whole King thing is a joke. He was never any cop as a manager. What 'accomplishments' does he have? The media descriptions are great. A "real football man" - what does that even mean?
    This idea that domestic football fans should feel gratified because he throws in a few token players for a meaningless game is ludicrous.
    Just for the record, I don't think any LoI players are up to the standard for international football (yes, there's been worse on Trap's teams, but the alternative to Paul Green is Wes Hoolahan, not Ronan Finn). But I don't follow our league because it's the best in the world. I follow it because it's our league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    Jesus, Dodge, thank god someone interrupted the love-in. I'm a LoI fan through and through, don't have an English team I'm particularly interested in, and would rather spend a cold evening at Belfield than whoop it up at a World Cup qualifier. But this whole King thing is a joke. He was never any cop as a manager. What 'accomplishments' does he have? The media descriptions are great. A "real football man" - what does that even mean?
    This idea that domestic football fans should feel gratified because he throws in a few token players for a meaningless game is ludicrous.
    Just for the record, I don't think any LoI players are up to the standard for international football (yes, there's been worse on Trap's teams, but the alternative to Paul Green is Wes Hoolahan, not Ronan Finn). But I don't follow our league because it's the best in the world. I follow it because it's our league.
    I think but yourself and Dodge have moved away from the thread title. I remember Noel King's time at Finn Harps but that doesn't mean anything in relation to actual thread title here. Nobody expects King to be a long term option and this is about the next two games. Bringing in decent players, of which the LoI can be very proud of producing so many, is a very good move in PR terms as well as for some players who rightfully hold ambition of one day been internationals.

There's no love in here. A simple respectful acknowledgement of a move we all welcome and something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened. Stick with the topic on hand and if ya can't then start a thread elsewhere.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fivesilver View Post
    I couldn't agree more with this post. I'd just amend your last sentence slightly, I don't follow our league, I follow my team, because they are my team. For this reason Sunday is far, far more important than Friday night to me.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moose View Post
    something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened.
    An interesting assumption. I have no desire to see players put in the squad for PR reasons if they're not good enough.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    I think too much has been made of this. It's not like they were called into the squad and if a player had to drop out injured they were next in line. They just had to fill a few spots in a training game.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moose View Post
    Bringing in decent players, of which the LoI can be very proud of producing so many, is a very good move in PR terms as well as for some players who rightfully hold ambition of one day been internationals.

There's no love in here. A simple respectful acknowledgement of a move we all welcome and something you'd be crying about if it hadn't happened. Stick with the topic on hand and if ya can't then start a thread elsewhere.
    With respect, at least 2 of the players aren't even good by LOI standards (Sullivan, Elebert). Why should LOI fans be proud of the 4th best centre half on the team in fifth place in the league? They were brought in as bodies, no more, no less.

If you read my original post I welcome the move, but people need to settle down on the praise of King for bringing the LOI back into the national fold. The move can't do any harm, but I certainly wouldn't cry if it didn't happen again (just like I haven't cried about lack of LOI players in the squad/training games before)
    ---

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Folks, i wrote that on my phone, i should have edited it later on. My point "And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him." should have read "And it doesn't matter how accomplished any manager is, if he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him." .... I'm saying that there are loads of managers out there who would be better that Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy with respect to picking the best options available to us, they would need to be involved in actively looking at players and their potential. I just don't believe Trap every got near it, he made absolutely no effort unearthing 'a diamond in the rough' and i think we need a manager who can. I don't think most of the names being thrown about will be able to do it either.

I know King isn't the answer to be fair, i remember him when at Harps and wasn't there something about him not going to training, only for games or something like that. I think as regards the other names, i dont think the average EPL fans opinion should carry much weight, i think we need to look all over Europe not just UK etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast