Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LOI Players in Kings National Squad

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    With respect, at least 2 of the players aren't even good by LOI standards (Sullivan, Elebert). Why should LOI fans be proud of the 4th best centre half on the team in fifth place in the league? They were brought in as bodies, no more, no less.

If you read my original post I welcome the move, but people need to settle down on the praise of King for bringing the LOI back into the national fold. The move can't do any harm, but I certainly wouldn't cry if it didn't happen again (just like I haven't cried about lack of LOI players in the squad/training games before)
    I wouldn't go overboard either but I think it's a positive move for the national coach, caretaker or not, to acknowledge the domestic league and to establish some sort of connection even if he's not calling up players.

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    And it doesn't matter how accomplished he is, he hasn't coached in the EPL so they will never be able to relate to him.
    I must have missed Trap, Staunton and Kerr coaching in the EPL. McCarthy came from the Championship too no?
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Have advocated the resumption of LOI players in Irish training squads in other threads ( there was a time it was commonplace) but agree it should be in right context. Young developing players should be the focus ( to immerse them in professional atmosphere ) and it should be seen as an achievement to get one of these spots, not just filling in as bodies (as Dodge described it).

I seem to recall the old system was two players per squad and think this is about right.

Kinger not up to international management. Delighted for him that he got the chance for two games but delighted for the country that it will be only the two games.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12