Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seanad Éireann

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I can only believe that the country deserves its fate by voting yes on the 2 amendments. While I know Monty Martin was looking the grandstand, that the dear leader didn't have the courage to show up on prime time for a debate draws parallels with the worst leaders about. Putin refused to debate, Medvedev too, they stated that it was pointless. It was true arrogance and a symbol of rigged elections or worse, a bovine electorate.

Can anyone imagine the liberal media in europe and the US if the same situation played out in Russia? But in Ireland we do as we're told. I would like a new.y set up senate, plus more power for county councils and a slashing of tds. Nothing will happen though. Curious timing for these refenda thoigh.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I think the idea of two houses having differing coalitions in charge of them would be quite healthy- checks and balances would be in place and compromise necessary. On the other hand a truly popular government could win the mid term Senate election and have a stronger mandate for their policies.

Although the US is having issues currently this is historically the exception rather than the rule.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    You don't cut off your foot because you have an itchy toe.

This referendum is nothing more than the grubbiest of power grabs by a government whose attitude to democracy would make even the most cynical blush for shame. For unicameralism to work, we need a strong, autonomous system of local governmnment; instead, FG are closing down 80 town councils next year and centralising local democracy even more in the Department of the Environment and Local Government. (I wrote a policy paper on LG reform for a party, and I know how it can be done, but that's for another day.)

Arguably, the Dail, which is the more important and empowered of the two houses, is far more disfunctional and unrepresentative than the Seanad, but nobody is talking about serious reform there. It's a indictment of the government that their best argument for abolition is that we can save a fairytale amount of money (discredited by Seanad officials themselves) while they continue to squander the public purse on fripperies and expenses.

The Seanad needs to be reformed, not airbrushed out of politics. That reform could start with the stroke of a pen: the franchise can be widened to allow all third level graduates to vote (we passed this in a referendum in the late 1970s ffs, but never wrote the legislation to effect the people's will). That would be an imperfect reform, but another couple of hundred thousand voters would, in the short term, address the unrepresentative argument until the franchise can be fully extended. We don't want the paralysis of two houses led by different parties, but enhanced powers of oversight and legislative initiative would make the Seanad more democratically functional.

If we abolish, we hand power on a plate to a cabale of 15 politicians, and worse - about two dozen unelected special advisors and party hacks. This government has used the guillotine with more shameful abandon than even FF to stifle the right of debate. The Dail will give a figleaf of democratic accountability to a powerful elite, able to manipulate the house for its own purposes.

Is that something anybody wants to see?

No. No. No.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 04/10/2013 at 6:42 AM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy
    It's all píssing around the edges though - if that's the type of reforms that we could expect if the Seanad is retained, then it isn't much reform at all.

mypost - I'm a bit bemused by you're support for retaining it. You don't want it to have more power, and want to keep the current system. You're the only person that I've met that's openly saying that (I know it's what most of the leaders of the No campaign really want) - it seems to be a personality issue for you. The only way that will change will be through direct elections rather than politicians smoosing politicians. FF, the champions of reform (well since sometime since their 2011 manifesto where they supported abolition), have kept most of the old time senators, with the addition of Dail election failures like Averil Power.
    That's what reform is in this instance. Its internal house reform. If you want reform of politics in Ireland, that's a wider question that isn't asked in this referendum.

The current impasse in America is not a one off, but the latest this year and there's another major obstacle coming down the line shortly.

The Senate badly needs reform, but holding a nationwide ballot would only make things worse for the reasons I've previously outlined.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well here's something I done and wrote about voting YES:

Quote Originally Posted by KRANK.IE
    Seanad Referendum- YES

On Friday 4th October most adults in Ireland will finally get to chance to have a Seanad vote.
    And I for one hope it is the last.

There are numerous reasons for voting yes and quite a few for voting no and I have mulled over the options since the date was announced.

There has been nothing compelling from the ‘NO’ side as to why we should keep this post-colonial anachronism.
    Sure, we are removing half the houses of the Oireachtas but we are removing the most ineffectual arm of the States Administration.
    The Seanad has never had any real power. It was a sop to the “isolated” Unionists that had found them selves “stranded” in DeValera’s Southern Catholic State.

The few powers it does have it rarely uses and to be honest the obscure nature of these is not a reason to keep it around in the hope that maybe they will delay a Money Bill- unlikely given the majority the government have in the Seanad. Or maybe they will petition the President under Article 27 of the Constitution- never has that been used since the adoption of Bunreacht na hEireann in 1937.
    In truth the Seanad as it is constructed, is a kindergarten for aspiring politicians (Averil Power), the unelectable (Ivana Bacik), aloof and eccentric personalities (David Norris) and the recently dismissed from the Dail (Dara O’Brian).

And that’s exactly how it will remain if this Referendum is defeated on Friday.

Since the 1930s there have been 12 reports into reforming the Seanad and not one of them has brought us any change to how the political system works. Do we really believe that if this Constitutional amendment is defeated that we would get any meaningful reform? I don’t think so.

I agree that there are merits for reforming the Seanad but when will this actually be done? Isn’t it better to be rid of the blasted thing and focus on proper reform of our institutions, namely the comedy-show of local government and the horror-show of Dail Eireann?
    The calls from the “NO” side are almost comical. I’d laugh if it weren’t such disgraceful manipulation.

Those thinking that it is a power-grab by Fine Gael and Labour are talking through their proverbials. The Government will always have a majority in the Seanad as the Taoiseach nominates 11 members. Losing the Seanad will not change the powers the Government have.
    There has been some commentary about how the Seanad gives a chance of representation of the citizens who live in Fermanagh, Armagh, Tyrone, Down, Antrim and Derry. But how? Why would anyone in their right mind, be they Nationalist or Unionist, think it would be appropriate for their democratic voice to be holed up in a room in the corner of Leinster House? Why aren’t these commentators shouting for real representation for our disenfranchised citizenry in the National Parliament, the Dail?

And of course we have heard the calls for expanding the Seanad franchise to all citizens and increasing its powers? But why?
    Do we really need a smaller version of the Dail duplicating work and being an all-round nuisance? Or imagine another house that causes stasis if it doesn’t get its own way? Just look at that beacon of democracy, the United States…
    What will the purpose of this reformed house be? The answer is, no one knows!

Both Fine Gael and Labour were elected with a mandate for political reform. And they are doing it. It seems people have forgotten the recent constitutional convention which proposes a whole range of overarching changes to how our State is run.
    The “YES” side haven’t covered themselves in glory and neither have the “NO” side but we need to look at this for the good of this State.

If you love this country and you want to effect real political change then vote “YES” and wave goodbye to Seanad Eireann.
    I won’t miss it.
    So let’s once and for all bury this old hag of Colonialism and start anew.
    http://www.krank.ie/category/opinion...um-voting-yes/
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Ah, Bonnie, a mandate for reform? I thought more of you (genuinely) than to fall for that hoary old chestnut. I agree there is so much about the Seanad that is useless and outmoded. But isn't it funny how Inda's government's only reforming action to date has been to abolish town councils and foist this referendum on us - and not provide any indication of how the Dail will function better as a result. Proper reform needs a clear plan and vision for how the system will work better. Excising parts so that the Dail gets even more power isn't reform. It is a power grab. So let me predict a few things. More use of the guillotine. More enforcement of the whip system. More highly paid sinecures on Oireachtas committees once the workload increases because there are 60 fewer parliamentarians to share the burden. More centralised spindoctoring from unelected special advisors. Fewer independent voices to hold the government to account.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I'll gladly eat my hat and have Enid Blyton-size lashings of humble pie if abolition makes things work out for the better. But I have a horrible, sick feeling that this is a day that will come back to haunt us for a long, long time.
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 04/10/2013 at 2:54 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    If you love this country and you want to effect real political change then vote “YES”
    Ah Jaysus, Bonnie, that's some awful ****e.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    It's 4 years to the week, since we had to vote on Lisbon, and promised everything and the kitchen sink for doing what the government said. What did we get? The slow erosion of democracy, the four year plan, the IMF, and rampant emigration.

What will we get now for doing what the government said? A removal of another state watchdog. After the next general election.

10. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    On the bright side, I haven't been conscripted in the EU army.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

12. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Another awful turnout. With voters this apathetic, opinion polls are meaningless. 50/50 it looks like now.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I hope I'm wrong. I really do. I'll gladly eat my hat and have Enid Blyton-size lashings of humble pie if abolition makes things work out for the better. But I have a horrible, sick feeling that this is a day that will come back to haunt us for a long, long time.
    Oh ye of little faith - maybe we are not going to get rid of The Seanad after all?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The Seanad is too close to call with the No vote winning out in most working class urban areas. Little being said about the courts referendum but it seems it will pass comfortably.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Nah, its all over bar the shouting. Dublin/Leinster No margin can't be recouped by tiny Yes margins in Munster and parts of the west.

Dissapointed. No faith in reform being implemented, and turned off by actual reform plans suggested from numerous places anyway. Margin really isn't that big, so wouldn't have taken that much of an extra effort from FG, Lab or SF to pass, but really bad campaign focus, poor leadership, and total underestimation of electorate's feelings.

But maybe more disappointed with the turnout. Somewhere between 15-20 per cent of our electorate "won" this vote. Slightly less lost. The rest didn't care. If we need reform, maybe its to how we actually do elections.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts

Reforming Seanad Éireann

So, by the narrowest of margins, the Seanad survives. Nobody can take the result as a ringing endorsement for the status quo; it’s been quite apparent that reform was the preferred option, yet - shamefully - one that was neither attempted by Kenny, nor put to the people.

So, what reform of the Seanad would people here like to see?

To get the ball rolling, I’d like:

• A reduction to 40 Senators - 10 elected in each of the four EU constituencies by universal adult suffrage.
    • Elections held on the same day as the general election, with candidates standing for one house only.
    • STV used for elections to ensure that independents have a voice; the size of the constituency should ensure that localism is reduced as a factor. (I’d introduce PR-List in larger constituencies for Dáil elections precisely to eliminate local issue TDs).
    • With an enhanced democratic mandate, change the constitutional provision that two Senators may be appointed ministers to a requirement that two must be ministers. This would ensure that more legislation would be initiated in the house, and broaden the pool of talent available to the Taoiseach of the day (15 out of c.200 instead of 15 out of c.160 makes a difference in quality).
    • MEPs to be ex officio members, with the duty of attending on set days (but not voting) in order to initiate debate/explain EU policy and, particularly, laws that are implemented by statutory instrument (i.e. transposed into Irish law without being placed before either house).
    • Enhanced powers of oversight and initiation of legislation.
    • The Seanad can delay, but not reject a bill. Where the Seanad fails to pass a Dáil bill, a joint houses committee should be granted power to reach a compromise bill (similar to how disagreements between the EU Council of Ministers and Parliament are resolved).
    • Salary and remuneration to remain the same, but the Seanad week to increase from three to five days.
    - E Tattsyrup.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    The turnout is the turnout. I hate having to wait a day for the answer to a straight forward Yes/No question, but that's the way we run our elections/referendums.

Delighted with the Senate result, if rather surprised. Apparantly, the No side were 20/1 with one bookie to prevail earlier this week. Disappointed with the result of the other ref and the margin of the result, it will merely complicate an already overcrowded legal situation, and result in more money spent to recruit more judges to give different verdicts, leading to even more appeals. Although I reckon most people didn't understand what exactly they were voting for.

The Yes side lost the campaign and deserved to. They assumed the "savings" gimmick would work, but getting their figures wrong was embarrassing. Enda refusing to debate the merits of his own proposal was a catastrophic error. While TD's and Senators who voted against the proposal at the ballot box after voting with it in parliament was laughable. Instead of looking for excuses, the Yes campaign should look at why they threw away the referendum, as this is one that won't be run again.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    I've already said what should be done.

Holding elections for it, like they do in America can be and has been counter productive. In Ireland, it's not the public's fault that Senators get paid handsomely to sit and talk crap for 1 full day a week. It's not the public's fault that important bills are debated in a deserted chamber, nor that they treat the place as a holiday camp. We don't need to waste resources on elections to reform those issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    I'd give it no power whatsoever and simply have it as a talking shop similar to the Constitutional Convention that is on-going.

Have 60 seats in the senate with 20 made up from political parties (split along similar lines as the sitting Dail), 30 rotating seats split between education, health, NGOs & other groups working regularly with the government and affected by their policies and 10 rotating seats for the general public (run it like jury duty but with the freedom to opt out, the government pays whatever wage is owed for the 1-2 weeks they are called upon to sit).

Would literally have them just debate the government policies of the day and the Constitution in general. people underestimate the power of ideas being talked about in the media. They can make recommendations to the government based on their discussions and hold up bills for a short period until their arguments are heard but the Dail will do as it pleases anyway, there's no point pretending other wise and it's arguable that they should, as democratically elected officials, listen to them anyway. Have the political senators there to be held accountable for the actions of their parties and just allow proper public discourse to happen to hopefully shape the way citizens think about matters of the state going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I can't find the link, but that reminds of someone who (jokingly) argued that the Seanad's impotence meant it could have its role filled by the Irish Times letter page.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ah Jaysus, Bonnie, that's some awful ****e.
    I know. It worked a treat seemingly.

I can't help going down the auld Fox News angle sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    Ah, Bonnie, a mandate for reform? I thought more of you (genuinely) than to fall for that hoary old chestnut. I agree there is so much about the Seanad that is useless and outmoded. But isn't it funny how Inda's government's only reforming action to date has been to abolish town councils and foist this referendum on us - and not provide any indication of how the Dail will function better as a result. Proper reform needs a clear plan and vision for how the system will work better. Excising parts so that the Dail gets even more power isn't reform. It is a power grab. So let me predict a few things. More use of the guillotine. More enforcement of the whip system. More highly paid sinecures on Oireachtas committees once the workload increases because there are 60 fewer parliamentarians to share the burden. More centralised spindoctoring from unelected special advisors. Fewer independent voices to hold the government to account.

I didn't fall for anything.

It’s surprisingly difficult to come out on one side or the other when you don’t feel so strongly about abolition or reform. As I was voting yes I figured it would be best to throw the kitchen sink at it. 

I think that this result may be the only way that reform can happen as it seem a fait accompli that YES would win.

Also I love old chestnuts. Hoary or not.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast