Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lansdowne Road

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lansdowne Road

Hopefully on wednesday Lansdowne will not be the graveyard that it usually is. We need to create some sort of atmosphere cause its such a comedown for the players. Anything ive been singing at lansdowne you seem to get looked at funny from the people around me. We need to create the atmosphere similar to paris wont be the same obviously

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Dammit, yeah!

The last couple of Home games, I've been surrounded by fish-out-of-water rugger buggers and other corporate types who seem more interested in impressing the talent that they've brought along on their free ticket than watching the game. If You sing & shout you're made to feel like a trespasser. For some bizarre reason, this mindset seems to have been accepted throughout the stadium. I find Smacking these people repeatedly about the face works wonders for the old self-esteem, however, it does result in you getting chucked out on your arse.
    On the way into the stadium, an elderly San Marino Steward waved us in and said "Tonight, may the best team win"

And they nearly did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Could not agree more, Lansdowne has been dead for most of this year.

The Brazil and Czech games were sold out however there was absolutely no atmosphere at all.

I too have encountered the odd sly look or dull out-mouthed stare when I have tried to get a sing song going. the effects of a 'ticketmaster' crowd???

That's why I am in support of cheering the Faroes left back, at least it'll get a reaction from the crowd!

I don't we'll ever see the likes of the support in Paris in Lansdowne, which is a crying shame as it was probably the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at an Ireland game.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The atmosphere at Lansdowne can be brutal. I mostly get tickets for the bucket seats in the North Terrace. There are a few chants and all that but nothing else, really. I don't know what the problem is but when we play quality opposition in a match that we know the team has to perform, the crowd is always there. For example, against Portugal and Holland for the 2002 WC. When Russia and the Swiss came, I don't know what that was all about, the team weren't performing and the crowd seemingly got fed up after about 20 minutes, it clearly wasn't affecting the team. It might indeed have something to do with the manner in which the FAI is cosying up to the corporate sector. I've gone to almost every home match for the past two and a half years but every time it's a struggle to get tickets. We usually end up getting them from my mate's manager in AIB, who seems to have loads of them. I'm not a class warrior or anything but it might lead to people going to the game who aren't as passionate about the team as others.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    It might indeed have something to do with the manner in which the FAI is cosying up to the corporate sector. I've gone to almost every home match for the past two and a half years but every time it's a struggle to get tickets. We usually end up getting them from my mate's manager in AIB, who seems to have loads of them. I'm not a class warrior or anything but it might lead to people going to the game who aren't as passionate about the team as others.
    Ditto donal, i think you've hit the nail on the head with that one. Its usually those in the cheaper areas doing most of the singing, ie the two terraces and not the corporate boxes and the fat cats where most tickets go. A friend of mine goes to most of the away matches, WC, holland back in June and paris too, the poor chap can't get a ticket for love nor money in Lansdowne due to the corporate fat cats snapping them all up, thats the only way he says that he can get to see the games. So its no wonder that the atmoshere in lansdowne is bad at the best of times and the away games always have the better atmospheres.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colm55
    Its usually those in the cheaper areas doing most of the singing.
    This ties in with my theory that the craic you have at a football game is inversely proportional to the cost of the ticket.
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ireland matches dont sound like rip roarers on tv either
    j'accuse!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ccfcman
    Ireland matches dont sound like rip roarers on tv either
    Unless your idea of a Rip-Roarer is a very quiet funeral in the fog, with a deaf congregation.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Agreed. Our block book has been shifted to the upper deck of the west stand. I always thought it looked dead over there but only now do I realise the extent of it! There are alot of very apathetic people getting tickets for these matches through corporate contacts. Also, some of the rest of us have slipped into a bit of a comfort zone over the last few years where we'll only really get going in situations (like holland, portugal wc 2002 quals) where the lads are really up against it - ideally the Faroes should arrive out on the park tomorrow night and be ****ing petrified by the wall of noise and colour that greets them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think we should play the matches at 9pm and make the beer a bit stronger as it worked wonders in Paris , also make sure it rains so that you are stuck in the pub all day beforehand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Atmosphere

Agreed!
    The atmosphere in Paris will be almost impossible to copy again...it was unreal. I have a memory (blurred) of singing the tune to the Marseilles like it was some sort of disco anthem....don't think thats ever been done before!
    It seems that every irish fan was absolutely tanked to the gills after 12 hours scooping, I suppose midweek games at home do suffer to some extent but it doesn't excuse the funny looks fans get for trying to start a few songs! What the hell are these gawkers doing there? Is it no longer cool to sing for the boys? Great to see in paris that we seem to have extended our range of songs from the usual 3 or 4. So more of that tmw night please...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by keenanboy
    Agreed!
    The atmosphere in Paris will be almost impossible to copy again...it was unreal. I have a memory (blurred) of singing the tune to the Marseilles like it was some sort of disco anthem....don't think thats ever been done before!
    It seems that every irish fan was absolutely tanked to the gills after 12 hours scooping, I suppose midweek games at home do suffer to some extent but it doesn't excuse the funny looks fans get for trying to start a few songs! What the hell are these gawkers doing there? Is it no longer cool to sing for the boys? Great to see in paris that we seem to have extended our range of songs from the usual 3 or 4. So more of that tmw night please...
    I still think the range of songs/chants could be extended a bit more. Although I think it probably has something to do with the level of alcohol consumed. I remember in Basle last year being asked to sing a song in a pub by a few swiss fans after the match .. and the only bleedin thing I could come up with through the haze of beer was "A team of Gary Breens" .. a because the words are easy to remember and the tune is easy to sing. Its way past its sell-by date now though .. what about a "team of Roy/robbie Keanes"? .. or am I missing something?

Thierry Henry yer having a larf .. okay .. a bit original .. but I was bricking it that he would stuff that tune back down our mouths with a moment of genius.

And I can never sing that "you'll never beat the irish" when a game is delicately poised.

Didn't hear the Clinton Morrison tune that was sung in Basle at all ..

Think we should adopt the french anthem and rewrite the words .. or a tune close to it .. it was a really great moment. There's an mp3 of it on irishvibe.com for anyone who wants to relive the moment again ..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    yeah couldnt come to sing thierry henry song till after the game cause i was ****ting my pants he would score. And youll never beat the irish should be left till after the game....

The clinton song should have been sung in paris for sure and the french anthem sounds good was great singing along to that . Wathced it again on tele sounds deadly

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Right lads let's try and create a good aul atmosphere in the eL section tomorrow night.

Let's recreate the famous Irish support that was seen and heard in Paris on Saturday night.
    Finn Harps Dot Com
    www.finnharps.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Its about time the FAI IRFU starts dumping out all those people with suits and corporate people. Its pathetic that they go to the game and stay quite.

The real fans are Eircom League fans and those in Paris last saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Yeah, sure none of the people that are too poor to go to more than one away match in the space of two months are real fans at all. Jesus lads I know what ye mean and that ye mean well but c'mon keep those opinions about real fans a bit sensible will ye ?
    K
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Lads, I wonder would it be an absolutley outrageous idea for a group of fans to get together and form something like an 'ultras' group for the international side? Just a suggestion for someone more energetic than me mind you, I'd have no idea how to go about doing that myself

But I wonder if it's an idea that anyone has ever considered before? It could really help get the atmosphere going I'd say if there was a section of supporters thinking up new songs, getting them started, putting on displays etc and would be a nice break from the crap that Rooney has tried to get an atmosphere going.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    It would be a nice break from the crap that Rooney has tried to get an atmosphere going.
    Amen to that. I thought I was the only one who felt that a real atmosphere was being ruined by that "heeeey, heey baby, oooh ahh, I wanna know..." f*cking b*llocks that comes on after every goal. You can't create an atmosphere with cheesy gimmicks, you get it from getting real decent fans into the stadium. I'm not going to get into what constitutes a 'real' fan, but basically someone who really wants to be there to roar on their team. Buddy, if you're forming an ultras club, count me in. Opposing teams should walk out on to the pitch and the atmosphere should hit them like a 'This Is Anfield' sign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal81
    Amen to that. I thought I was the only one who felt that a real atmosphere was being ruined by that "heeeey, heey baby, oooh ahh, I wanna know..." f*cking b*llocks that comes on after every goal. You can't create an atmosphere with cheesy gimmicks, you get it from getting real decent fans into the stadium
    there have been many posts on here complaining about the tacky tunes etc. that rooney and co. have introduced to try and create atmosphere.. but do you think the fai read these fans websites???! they need to be told that what they are doing is actually ruining the atmosphere. that awful "hey baby" after the goals is particularly irritating and the carlsberg band on the north terrace at the cyprus match was worse than useless! people should start sending in emails / letters of complaint...... its only then that they might cut out all that nonsense. i agree, you cant create false atmosphere

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Something needs to be done badly. The atmosphere is a joke to be honest. The FAI are trying to make an effort but have failed badly. There is too many suits for a start but that isnt going to change.

Some sort of group is needed. they need to be all in the same part of the stadium (stadium?) so when they do start singing they wont get funny looks. Anyone who gives funny looks to supporters shouting and singing should be told on no uncertain terms to

"shut the fúck up, go back to the bord room if you want peace and quite"

The flares in Stade de France from the Irish section looked brilliant. Pity that cant happen because it's going to be dark.

The " heeeey baby .... i wanna know...." is pathetic. Cheesy stuff. A few flares, smoke bombs, drums, songs/chants would be a lot better.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast