Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Ireland take to sea in bid to turn up heat for Faroes

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ireland take to sea in bid to turn up heat for Faroes

THE six-goal hammering which the Faroe Islands suffered at the hands of Switzerland last month puzzled Brian Kerr.

In the Euro 2004 qualification campaign the Faroes had only conceded 16 goals in eight games and their heaviest defeats were 3-1 losses to Scotland and Lithuania.

So, when Kerr bumped into Faroe Island manager Henrik Larson at the recent UEFA Coaches Conference in Stockholm he took the opportunity to ask the former Danish international what had happened his team against Switzerland.

"I was surprised at the size of the defeat and Henrik told me that it was very, very hot that day in Switzerland and it was a big issue for them," said Kerr.

"We can hardly turn up the heat in meteorological terms on Wednesday, but I hope we'll make it hot for them in every other way."

After the dizzy heights the team reached against France in Paris, there is a danger of a flat performance tomorrow night, but Kerr is confident that the focus and application will be as high as it was on Saturday night.

"There hasn't been too much talk of Paris and at the training there was no mention of it. That's done now and we've got to look ahead and be on the ball for tomorrow.

"The best approach we can have is to mix the game up and not be predictable in the way we play. We need to play at a high tempo - as we have done in every game.

"In the home match against Cyprus we started at a high tempo and moved the ball around quickly and that would be the best approach for this game."

Clinton Morrison, who limped off in the first half on Saturday night, will be out for a month as he requires minor surgery on a cartilage problem in his left knee.

As well as tomorrow night's international, Morrison will miss Birmingham City's Premiership matches against Manchester United, Southampton, Crystal Palace and Liverpool, plus the Carling Cup clash with Fulham.

He is also likely to miss next month's international friendly against Croatia.

Roy Keane was one of three players who didn't take a full part in training. The Manchester United player, who got a knock on his knee in Paris on Saturday, was restricted to running and stretching under the watchful eye of team physiotherapist Ciarán Murray and did not do any ball work.

However, Kerr said that he is not worried about Keane and expects him to be fit to start tomorrow.

"He did more than anyone else this morning in the training. He didn't play in the game at the end but he ran more than any of the other lads who played in the game on Saturday and those who hadn't played. He did plenty of work this morning and he seems fine."

Stephen Carr, who has a slightly twisted ankle, and John O'Shea, who is suffering from a stiff groin, took it a lot easier than Keane and were restricted to light jogging. They are expected to take a full part in training today.

Kerr revealed that when the squad got back to Dublin on Sunday afternoon he took them for a dip in the sea beside their Portmarnock Hotel to help them recover from their exertions in Paris.

"I have always believed in the healing qualities of the sea and although it was a bit cold, it seems to have done the trick. It sorted out the few aches and pains.

"If everybody is fit, Kerr is likely to start with the same team that finished in Paris, with Andy Reid likely to partner Robbie Keane up front and Gary Doherty held in reserve for use as an impact substitute if required.

Kerr also dismissed suggestions that he might consider leaving Roy Keane and Stephen Carr out of the side tomorrow if case they get booked and miss the trip in March to Israel.

"The next match is the match we need to win. We have tried to build up a squad of players who are adaptable and we have got cover in every position if we are going to be missing players. We have lads who can slot in and play in those positions to the high standard that they set themselves on Saturday."

Kerr will not be making an issue of the incident in the second half in Paris where French goalkeeper Fabian Barthez elbowed Andy O'Brien in the head, although he was upset not have got a penalty.

"It should have been a penalty. It was the second half of the match and it would been a crucial time to get a goal and be ahead in the match. It's strange the referee and linesman didn't see it. It was quite blatant.

"Given his general demeanour and the way he plays the game, Andy is not one for upsetting other players. He plays the game very fairly and cleanly as a centre-back and he was hard done by. But it's over now so let's get on with it."

Skipper Kenny Cunningham is among those who have described tomorrow's game as a potential banana skin and Kerr believes that the heavy defeat in Switzerland was a blip and the Faroes showed their true capabilities in the narrow defeat by France and their weekend draw in Cyprus.

"They were unlucky against France. I've looked at that match and they had plenty of chances and both the French goals were, in my opinion, offside. They gave the French a right good game.

"Then they went to Cyprus, were leading 2-1 at half-time and conceded a late equaliser.

"At home their own pitch is tight and they play a strong, tough game, but in Cyprus it would have been a very good surface and wide pitch so it was a decent result for them. We have to respect them."

Kerr admitted that he would love to give every Irish supporter who was in Paris a ticket for tomorrow night's game because of the passion, noise and colour they produced.

The Irish manager has been critical in the past of the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road and would love to replicate the mood that prevailed in the Stade de France on Saturday evening.

"We need to have that at home games as well. We need to transfer all that madness and colour into Lansdowne Road which would make it a much more intimidating venue for every team.

"It came naturally the other night from the supporters and I'd like it to come naturally in our own place as well.

"I'd like the same sort of people who travelled to the away game to get tickets for Wednesday as well.

"I don't know if they are the same crowd or not, but the support the other night, and the amount of fervour that was in it, was really, really impressive.

"Sometimes in home games we're waiting for something to happen."

Although he obviously went to Paris looking for three points, Kerr pronounced himself happy with the point gained and is now looking to finish this double header with a win.

"It's been steady enough progress with the various matches we have played and I think the friendlies have certainly built up the confidence and hopes.

"But we have to be realistic. It is only three games into the group and we have five points out of nine so we have to keep it nice and steady."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    If you wrote that yourself, fair play to you.
    If you didn't, please give credit to the author and post a link to the site you copied it from.
    ...and yes, I am a grumpy old man!
    Have Boot Disk, will travel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    It's from the Indo. www.unison.ie In the football section obviously

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts