Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Germany(A) 11th October & Kazakhstan(H) 15th October 2013 - World Cup '14 Q

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, it's not going to matter much on Friday, besides a novelty value, how we line up/play next week is much more important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Let's call these positions

----Defensive M-----Defensive M-----
    Wide Forward- Advanced Midfield--Wide forward
    ----------Central Forward----

No room for a Holding Midfielder there Stutts?
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    None whatsoever, anywhere or anytime!

4. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    King seems set on 4-2-3-1

Whatever about the back 4 and GK, I'd say he will go with something like:

----Gibson-- McCarthy
    Long------Reid------Pilkington
    ---------Keane-------
    Is that the team you would play? I do think it's a safe (non contreversial) selection for Noel King though.

I'd consider dropping Keane against Germany with a garauntee of a start in the following game. I'd even consider Green ahead of Gibson to partner McCarthy in the defensive midfield role for the German game.

I'd play McGeady Reid and Pilkington in the advance midfield roles with Long alone up front. (If Hoolahan had been playing more football i'd have opted for him instead of Reid)

----Green-- McCarthy
    McGeady------Reid------Pilkington
    ---------Long-------

That's just me though. Don't think i'd be brave enough to drop Keane and choose Green over Gibson in Kings position...
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 08/10/2013 at 1:15 PM.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think Mcgeady is too lightweight against Germany, therefore I'd stick Long on the wing.

Long is not a goalscorer and we have seen him be very poor in front of goal and is short of match practice.

Keane can still grab a goal, i'd put him up there and Long on the wing for both of the above reasons, hence why im leaning with Stutts, you could always bring mcgeady on in the wing for Long with 20 mins to go when the germans are a little tired - not much mind cos they are German.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I thought Long was a real physical threat when he came on against Arsenal on Sunday.

dr_peepee, I'd say that probably is the team I would play although I'd be torn between Reid and Hoolahan. I think Wes might be a better bench option, not having started much of late. McGeady for the bench too. I should have added him to my list of possibles.

I agree re-Keane, but I think it'd be interesting how well he can play that role. I don't think it's a lone striker role as such. The thing is, Germany away will probably teach us very little.

I'd also pick a goalkeeper and back 4!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Regarding tickets for the Kazakhstan tie premium tickets via ticketmaster are €40 which compares well with the general admission nosebleed sections for €35-€45.

Anyone know if you get anything extra like a programme or is it just the seat at 'premium' level with access to a bar?
    "oh my, that was some beer we had last night, I think I feel like getting sick" Effin Eddie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah. that's all. If you're in one of the boxes you get a programme but they're not on general sale
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

11. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Noel King invited Shamrock Rovers' David Elebert along with Richie Towell, John Sullivan, Kurtis Byrne and Andy Boyle of Dundalk to train with the squad today. I suspect this won't be the last time we see Towell involved with the senior international side.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

No Darren Meenan, surprisingly.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Feeling a bit more positive now about the 2 games. Good to see Reid, Gibson & Stokes back in the fold & 4-5-1 is surely the only way you'd line up against this German side so a midfield looking like this could at least keep the ball for more than 2 passes:

Pilkington Gibson Hoolahan McCarthy Reid

I'd stick Long or Stokes up top for the donkey work (sorry Robbie).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post

No Darren Meenan, surprisingly.
    Disappointing, considering he put himself about so well on Sunday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Disappointing, considering he put himself about so well on Sunday.
    I understand the "call-ups" were more to fill up required numbers for a training game rather than an indication of possible interest in calling them up at some point in the future or an exercise to offer them a flavour of senior international experience. Of course, King won't have the opportunity to select another Irish squad.

17. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I think King called the guys up based on tactical reasons. He wanted certain types of players, no? It wasn't a statement that these are the top 5 players.

King uses 5 LOI players to prepare for Germany and it's seen as disappointing. Yossarian's username is very apt, putting King in a Catch 22 situation like that.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think King called the guys up based on tactical reasons. He wanted certain types of players, no? It wasn't a statement that these are the top 5 players.
    They'd be among the better players but Towell is the only one who you'd say is in the top 5. He'll be in future Ireland squads, for sure, and he'll learn from this experience. The others, probably not. Elebert is probably only there because Croly doesn't rate him.

They were brought in because they occupy roughly the same positions as the players who sat out the 11 v 11 match - 3 defenders, a midfielder and a striker (Delaney, Clark, McGeady and Doyle).

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There's nothing sure about Towell and future squads. Fine player but there are reasons he didn't make the SPL grade. Hope he can recover and get back to learning a good living

King approached other LOI managers/players but they refused the request (on the basis of league games this weekend). Wouldn't be reading too much into the players selected as, to all intents and purposes, they're just bodies. Elebert, for example, is one of the worst centre halves in the league. 4th choice for the team in 5th position

No harm though. Players will enjoy it and King makes an anti-Trap point.

(Oh and Meenan is a Northern Ireland u21 international (born in the Republlic))
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    There's nothing sure about Towell and future squads. Fine player but there are reasons he didn't make the SPL grade. Hope he can recover and get back to learning a good living
    I don't know what the reasons were that Towell didn't get an SPL contract but he appears to have gotten over it already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Towell didn't get a contract presumably because the managers there didn't rate him. The game is full of players who in spite of their obvious talents have had trouble getting contracts and sometimes it's just a matter of finding a manager who has that amount of faith in you. Conor Henderson as recently as last month had run out of options at Championship level with managers unconvinced of his ability before Hull swooped in to give him a Premier League contract. Not getting a contract at one level doesn't necessarily say anything about a player's ability, aptitude, attitude or whatever. To me, Towell looks like he has all the attributes to make it a long way and I saw some of those traits in the SPL and underage teams too.

24. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Towell didn't get a contract presumably because the managers there didn't rate him.
    I heard he was hung out to dry by Fenlon.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Emmet Malone in today's Irish Times is saying that yesterday's training suggests Gibson, Stokes and Clark are all likely to start and Wilson is in contention to play the DM role with O'Brien or Kelly going to left back.

I suppose in my post above about the 4231 shape, I should have said that Clark, O'Brien and Wilson are all candidates for a DM role too.

Anyway, it's refreshing that King actually seems to know which players have which attributes.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 09/10/2013 at 8:08 AM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So how come joey O'Brien didn't need this window to get his knee massaged?is he the fourth to have won a reprieve of sorts? or just didn't want to be near trap eithEr?

Anyway the whole thing is refreshing therr is an air of confidence coming out of the squad.

I wouldn't like to see stokes starting.its Keane for me Keane had a great understanding with players like Reid and Ireland less so with hoolahan for a whole host of reasons though.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast