Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland V Germany(A) 11th October & Kazakhstan(H) 15th October 2013 - World Cup '14 Q

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    O'Dea, Keogh, Cox and Sammon seem to be the Trap picks that didn't make the cut. No Meyler though. Injury or just didn't make it?
    Was on the bench for Hull Saturday but didn't feature. Is Hendrick injured ? He didn't feature at all for Derby. Beyond those two, who are, I'd agree, marginal, who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I think Hendrick broke his ankle, definitely out for a few months anyway.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Was on the bench for Hull Saturday but didn't feature. Is Hendrick injured ? He didn't feature at all for Derby. Beyond those two, who are, I'd agree, marginal, who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?
    Ya hendrick injured, i think hes out for 2-3 months. Surgery on his ankle. have high hopes for him, hope he keeps progressing the way he has up to now. I think people are been a little harsh on Whelan, hes quite a good passer and a decent player, he defo deserves to be in the squad at least. the way we have been playing hasnt helped his game in the last while. Dont really think Doyle deserved his place now though, league 1. i think he may have 1 goal this season. little disappointed stephen ireland didnt come back this time, would add a bit of quality even with all his baggage. i think im ready to forgive him....i think.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    St Ledger is one if Irelands first choice defenders too, I wouldn't bet against him playing in Cologne and Dub.
    My Clark - McShane pairing was meant as, if St. Ledger hadn't made the squad, I think King would still try and pair some actual centre backs together before looking to start a left back (but let's face it, a midfielder) like Wilson in the heart of the defence. I know you're a big fan of St. Ledger but I don't think he's one of our first choices. He's third choice, but offers far more of a goal scoring threat than O'Shea, so could feature against the Kazakhs for that reason.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Who might have been in ahead of Whelan in your view?
    Probably nobody else. I wouldn't consider Andrews for a recall.

The number of feasible permutations from that squad selected is fascinating. Who knows what King's thinking will be?

Gibson, McCarthy, Whelan and Green as the deeper-lying or more conventional midfielder options, maybe Wilson too.

Reid and Hoolahan could play centrally or as an inside-out wide man comning in from the wing to add something to the final third (if we ever get there).

Quinn could play as a wide-left midfielder, either on the left of a 3 or left of a 5 in a tight role.

McGeady, McClean and Pilkington could all play "properly" wide.

I think there's an outside chance Coleman could be played at RHM, with O'Brien and Wilson playing full-back.

I expect Sledge and Clark to play CB and for them both to act like grown ups

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    So if Kinger can get us away from Koln with a less than -5 goal difference, he would then surely be better than Trap, especially considering both our first choice CBs are not playing.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    So if Kinger can get us away from Koln with a less than -5 goal difference, he would then surely be better than Trap, especially considering both our first choice CBs are not playing.
    had to check that i wasnt viewing the waffle filled rte.ie comments board when i read this

9. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I think we should forget about comparisons with the Trap era. He's now sleeping with the fishes so we move on to the next manager. Otherwise the debate goes back to the old arguments.

Cox instead of Doyle and Meyler instead of Quinn are probably the only ones who might justifiably feel aggrieved but borderline.

I am disappointed that King rang Ireland only for him (yet another Irish manager) to be rebuffed. When the new manager is appointed, the circus will start again.

So a new dawn (well evening now) and as the ancient Romans used to say ad astra per aspera.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Disappointed in myself for half hoping Stephen Ireland might realise this as the ideal opportunity it is to break the ice.... But his response alone reminded me what an absolute ****in' Clown he is!!!

Glad to see Reid, Stokes and Gibson back..
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I'm glad to see dr_peepee back.

I wouldnt be one to be sympathetic to Stephen Ireland but this was all I saw on rte.ie:

King also confirmed that he has been in contact with Stephen Ireland's camp and that the Stoke midfielder feels he is not ready to return to the set-up at the moment but indicated that he would like to return at some stage.

If the rationale was "let me get re-established at club level first" then I'd be OK with that.

If the rationale was "let me see who the new gaffer is" I'd be less OK with it.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 30/09/2013 at 6:20 PM.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    If King is part of the new dawn about to hit Irish intl football, then we are looking at pride and optimism restored in some shape. If the new dawn isn't until the new manager is appointed, then King will be our darkest hour.

Considering our CH situation, why was Pearce not selected, is he not up to scratch?
    I've heard that Andrews is doing very well at Brighton, I'd have a fit Andrews in ahead of a few there.
    Just wanted to get in a few moans, in reaction to the season of good will vibes to King

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    My remark was tongue in cheek. Ya we could do with another one in there.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    My remark was tongue in cheek. Ya we could do with another one in there.
    Another darkest hour?

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Stephen Ireland might get back in, but he's going to be only around 2-3 years max I reckon even if he does.

Not going to make very much difference, but I suppose if he puts a shift in, we might ​forgive him. In time.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I'm rooting for Khazhakhsthanh.
    Why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Damien Delaney can consider himself unlucky. One of few Irish players playing regular EPL football. I know he has a knock, but he's rated 50-50 for the weekend, so should be fit by the international window.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    If King is part of the new dawn about to hit Irish intl football, then we are looking at pride and optimism restored in some shape. If the new dawn isn't until the new manager is appointed, then King will be our darkest hour.

Considering our CH situation, why was Pearce not selected, is he not up to scratch?
    I've heard that Andrews is doing very well at Brighton, I'd have a fit Andrews in ahead of a few there.
    Just wanted to get in a few moans, in reaction to the season of good will vibes to King
    Agree 100% about Pearce - poor omission by Trap and exp. poor given current availability.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I'm not convinced yet by Pearce. Delaney is a joy to watch, all heart on sleeve stuff but maybe a bit too rustic for the likes of Germany.

SSL has gone straight into the team from injury before and in my opinion has yet to disappoint. Clark is looking good at club level. Then we have Wilson, Kelly and McShane who could all do a job if necessary. And let's not forget that the last time O'Brien played CB for Ireland we held Germany scoreless!

Ok, so CB actually is a worry.

23. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'm not convinced yet by Pearce. Delaney is a joy to watch, all heart on sleeve stuff but maybe a bit too rustic for the likes of Germany.

SSL has gone straight into the team from injury before and in my opinion has yet to disappoint. Clark is looking good at club level. Then we have Wilson, Kelly and McShane who could all do a job if necessary. And let's not forget that the last time O'Brien played CB for Ireland we held Germany scoreless!

Ok, so CB actually is a worry.
    We don't know about Ledger, 2 months out, rust has set in before with him after a spell out. Kelly has played one full 90 mins for Reading, he can fill in but is not a shoe in at CH.
    McShane has hardly been used by Hull this season, possibly some injury.
    Wilson does not play at CH. Joey, obvious fitness concerns aside, does he ever play at CH for WH?
    Whereas, Pearce starts every game for Reading at CH.
    Who was it that kept repeating 'use the players in the position they're use to playing in for their club'?
    or something to that effect

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Who knows...or even cares?

Germany are going to rip us a new one regardless, just have to pray we don't concede too many.
    Of all the names mentioned, the best of a mediocre bunch are Clark & St.Ledger.
    They look potentially maybe our 'best' option for the future, once Dunne & O'Shea hang up their boots. Not exactly encouraging.

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast