65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    It's very hard to make that out, bit blurry
    - bit like the League structures, eh!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    First time hearing this guy, very impressive I must say. Only thing is will he be given the powers to change and implement his ideas?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    First time hearing this guy, very impressive I must say. Only thing is will he be given the powers to change and implement his ideas?
    The SFAI will need to be dragged kicking and screaming to reform, some guys will just associate change with loss of power, so it will always be uphill with them.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,691 Posts
    The 'governance of the FAI' thread in the international section is worth reading in this context. Everyone knows the pyramid needs joining up but only close examination of the FAI, its structure, its voting etc will reveal where the blockages are.

http://foot.ie/threads/168322-Governance-of-the-FAI

I'm a semi serious triathlete and am super impressed with how Triathlon Ireland ripped up its constitution and wrote a new one when the growth of the sport made the old model of administration redundant.

The FAI probably needs a new constitution, one that doesn't allow vested interests pat each other on the back and keep out of each other's way. In business shareholders ask how much power the CEO has, whether the Board is doing its job and so on. The government should demand an examination. They are entitled to as a major funder, via the ISC.

Dunphy was right in one thing: in the UK they have mechanisms such as parliamentary enquiries to hold industries such as the media, finance and even football to account. I don't know of anything other than expensive tribunals that do the same in Ireland.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 22/10/2013 at 6:22 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    This might be overly cynical, but I feel like they would have fixed things themselves a long time ago if they really wanted to.

I also think that the people that can sort out the SFAI among other things, won't, because it would weaken their own positions.

Dokter certainly says all the right things and I do think that he is 100% genuine in his aims, but I think there is very little chance he will be allowed to carry it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    This might be overly cynical, but I feel like they would have fixed things themselves a long time ago if they really wanted to.

I also think that the people that can sort out the SFAI among other things, won't, because it would weaken their own positions.

Dokter certainly says all the right things and I do think that he is 100% genuine in his aims, but I think there is very little chance he will be allowed to carry it out.
    I dunno, i just think the SFAI, the administrators of the biggest number of youth participating in a sport in the country seem to be a law unto themselves and aren't in the slightest bit culpable for the lack of structure and the mismanagement in the game for 8 to 18 .... it would be unheard of in any other country. Absolutely no mention of 'development' from them in the very sparse communications we see across any media used, they are practically anonymous. This HAS TO change or we'll be ranked 80 or 100 after another few decades.
    Last edited by A face; 25/10/2013 at 7:21 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123