Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Does anybody like a bet on this forum?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does anybody like a bet on this forum?

Hi all, virgin poster here....I have had sex once, it is just the posting here that I am virgin to you understand!

Although we are in to the latter quarter of the season, I thought it might be interesting - if not profitable - to combine the forum's knowledge of the league and take on the bookies. I assure you, the bookmakers do not keep as much tabs on the eircom league as the forum users here do.....so let's see how we get on.

Incidentally perhaps a Bohs fan - or the man himself - might be able to tell us whatever happened to the 'Gartlan Gamble'? Hasn't been updated on Bohs site all season. You won't win it keeping it in your pocket boss!

Anyway...tonight's games. General odds seem to be

6/4 Bohs 11/5 Draw 6/4 Shels
    4/5 Cork 9/4 Draw 3/1 Longford
    9/4 Dub.C. 9/4 Draw EVS Waterford

I think Waterford are probably the best value of tonight's opportunities. Roddy's vikings really do not belong at this level - their only win in umpteen games against a demoralised Rovers side. I think you have to fancy Waterford to make it 4 away wins on the bounce.
    www.WalkTheChalk.com - Stats, Opinion & Bluster on Irish Club Football

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think the best value would be a City/Longford draw or Longford win.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Try Betfair . You generally get better odds on the exchanges. Waterford are 7/5 here at the moment.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A busy afternoon's movement on the Cork match. Reports of the 'flu breaking out have seen Longford's odds take a tumble from 3/1 down to 9/5 now with Powers, but still some 9/4 around if you think it will just be the Longford boys running past a bunch of kids or snot faced snivllers.

Pat Dolan boiling the kettle for halftime Lemsips???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    185 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsh
    I think the best value would be a City/Longford draw or Longford win.....
    I personally fancy the draw tonight but wouldn't bet against us sneeking a win

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not a bad start for the punters here then, the 7/5 Waterford as pointed out by boc123 was cracking value and I hope one or two members subscribed.

I hope nobody was taken in by the snowball effect of the move on Longford, even an understrength Cork City team is very tricky to turn over at home. Not sure just how many players they were missing in the end, but fair play to them for getting the result.

Thoughts turn to the weekend games now - I'll post my musings on Thursday morning when the majority of firms have published their prices.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I place the odd bet from time to time . Stayed away last night though Bohs to beat Shels was a decent bet but I'm still sick from last week and will be till next season at the earlist. However punting wise I might back the draw on thursday in the Derry - Drogs match. Both beaton (hold on Ive got something in my eye) semi-finalists, can play this one out. I wouldn't back us here with free money, there is just no telling how the lads will respond.

As an aside its great when you watch a team pretty much every week from a punting point of view as you really know the story of when to back and when not to, well generally anyway (riping up cup bet slips).
    A man is never really poor,
    if he can still laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Made a little bit last night. Laid Shels and Cork and backed Waterford. Made about €4.50 from €16.50.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi
    Made a little bit last night. Laid Shels and Cork and backed Waterford. Made about €4.50 from €16.50.
    Made a nice little sum myself on Bohs . Now and again, the bookies can give crazy odds on Eircom League matches, you just have to take advantage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The weekend games

Derry v Drogheda
    I'm seeing this as maybe a 40/60 type match. If 50/50 should be priced at 6/4 11/5 and 6/4. This game should be 7/4 Derry and 5/4 Drogheda in my opinion. I see Cashmans have 9/4 Drogheda up on their aertel pages. Wouldn't be surprised if this is a mistake! If they lay you a bet at 9/4 Drogheda, bite their hand off!

Waterford v Cork
    This is generally priced 6/4 11/5 6/4, and I can't disagree with it. However Paddy Powers have and go 15/8 Cork. Now, nobody gets rich backing Cork away from home throughout the season, but they are overpriced for this match I believe.

Pats v Dublin
    We profited form Waterford turning over the Vikings earlier in the week....and I think we are going to profit again from it. Pats are comfortable odds on jollies for this game, generally 4/6, although I'd have them a bit shorter myself. Chronicle bookmakers are Evens on Pats. This is a wrong price. Get on!

Shels v Bohs
    Most of the firms priced Monday's game at 6/4 11/5 6/4, Bohs win 2-0, and they make Shels big favourites for the match a few days later. Seems a big swing, even for home advantage. Lots of 11/10 2/1 9/4 around. The value is in Bohs, but not enough for me to bet.

Longford v Rovers
    Longford a shade of odds on generally, saw 6/5 in a place. The prices are right in my opinion. There will be easier games to make money from Rovers defeats before the season ends!

BEST OF LUCK LADS!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think Dublin City will get a result against Pat's. Pats' season is over and the fans have lost interest, who'd blame them - 15 quid to see a non-event? City never had any fans to lose and you'd never have thought they had only 10 men against the Blues the other night the way they played.
    Bray should boost any multiple bets by 1/3 with a win over Athlone.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    They only chance we have of beating Derry is if they suffer a bigger hangover over than us due to the cup. Their last two matches, i.e. since the cup were away and it'll certainly be intersting to see their responce, note last season we lost 5-0 in similar circumstance to Longford. I'm going draw match, correct score 2-2.

As regards the rest of the games I'd stay clear of Pats personally. I know the guy who prices up the odds for Chronicle and he would have the inside track on Pats as he is well conected so beware. I'll go for Cork, Longford and Draw in the other games but I'm not putting much if any money down this week.
    A man is never really poor,
    if he can still laugh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    hi el punter, I am el Bettor!!!

For tonight's game, I see a draw or home win, Derry look a possible value bet with a draw saver.

You can follow my eircom league and other bets:

http://www.sports-punter.com/index.p...27&sport_id=21
    Last edited by eL Bettor; 15/10/2004 at 1:41 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    el Bettor.....I love it!

I see from your record on sport-punter that you are doing very well on the league. Well done to you sir.

It seems we are starting to assemble a decent collection of betting minds and contacts for team news, lines in to odds compilers etc here. With our shared information we will all be on the road to profit figures like el Bettor's soon.

Congrats to all who sided with Derry last night, good shout from Coltron regarding Drogs morale.

Maybe if we can all pool our thoughts by Wednesday evening / Thursday morning we should have all the knowledge we need to go to battle with our friend the bookie.

Interesting to see how Pats perform against Dublin as their seems to be a fair bit of opposition to the Supersaints. I still think EVS is a massive price, but like Coltron says, the guy at Chronicle might well know something I don't!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Thanks you for your kind words el punter.

You can often find EL betting opinions at:
    Punters Lounge
    where I post regularly under the name IrishTW.

I'm guessing EVS is a mistake on St. Pats and would bite off a bookies arm to get it. Do you bet online el punter?

You can compare odds here for online bookies:
    Odds comparison

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I hate to say it, but Bohs are good value at 6/4, I fancy them to win tonight,think they have the edge on Shels after beating them the other night. Draw at 9/4 for Cork game looks good value. I wouldnt write off Dub city that easy. 9/4 at home to a team whose mind is on a cup final next week is a very good price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rovers Fellow!
    I wouldnt write off Dub city that easy. 9/4 at home to a team whose mind is on a cup final next week is a very good price.
    Dublin City are away to St Pats tonight.
    And they haven't been at home to anybody this season....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think he was looking at last Monday night's fixtures there.