Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LoI clubs activity in other counties?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by violinhero View Post
    No you didn't, but if you don't have a problem with it why call it "pathetic"?
    I didn't call supporting a british team pathetic. I called using the excuse of no local team to not support the LoI pathetic. I don't care if people choose not to go to the LoI, it's their loss - they should have the backbone to stand by that decision without feeling the need to justify it with excuses.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I didn't call supporting a british team pathetic. I called using the excuse of no local team to not support the LoI pathetic. I don't care if people choose not to go to the LoI, it's their loss - they should have the backbone to stand by that decision without feeling the need to justify it with excuses.
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Times New Roman]Where did I say you called supporting a British team “pathetic”? [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]I go see my nearest LoI team about 4 to 5 times per season, not a lot I know, yet when I’m talking to other local supposed supporters they are constantly moaning about how so many people ‘support British teams’ and ‘the irish team’ rather than their own. Yet I know for a fact that none of them bother their backsides going to an LoI game, but they’ll sing the odds down the pub when things are going well. Another example is the local know-it-all LoI fan declaring he’ll ‘never let his young daughters play gaelic football, because it’s a *******ised version of soccer’. Yet he’s standing there saying this in a Leinster rugby jersey and hasn't been to any LoI game in donkeys.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000] [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
    [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]So, I ask again, maybe you could outline the example you set and say how often this season you have gone to see either your local LoI club or your favourite LoI club? When was the most recent?[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What's pathetic about it? Why support a League of Ireland team if you have no emotional connection to the team/club/area?

I think the above post is an example of a no-one likes us we don't care attitude that has hindered the development of the league.

Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games? Surely, it should be our responsibility as fans to encourage people to go to games, not criticise them for not attending for whatever reason.
    Robbie Hedderman. Arguably the greatest Derry City player of all time...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hedderman View Post

Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games?
    They don't, but isn't the point that some feel the need to, listing off all the reasons why? no club close, EPL standard, facilities, no Irish internationals, not welcoming etc.
    Last edited by dejadem; 27/09/2013 at 10:59 AM.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    So, I ask again, maybe you could outline the example you set and say how often this season you have gone to see either your local LoI club or your favourite LoI club? When was the most recent?
    I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hedderman
    Why should people have to justify not going to League of Ireland games? Surely, it should be our responsibility as fans to encourage people to go to games, not criticise them for not attending for whatever reason.
    They don't - that's my bloody point FFS! There seems to be an inability to say "I don't support the League of Ireland." It more often than not has to be accompanied with a "because... I've no local team/ the standards rubbish/ grounds are crap etc etc". I'd much rather more go to games, and do try to encourage people to give it a go (at any club).

I didn't criticise the choice not go, I criticised the excuse making. These types of ultra defensive posts kind of prove the point. You make you're own choice, don't feel the need to justify it!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it myself.
    Now whose being ultra defensive?? This further proves my point that very often the mouthpieces harping on about the lack of support for LoI clubs as opposed to 'british clubs' are the very ones that don't do much (or any) supporting themselves. They might just use a different 'excuse' as you might put it.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe having 'no local team' isn't actually an excuse, but a very good reason for some people? I am assuming that before making your sweeping generalisation that you took the time to look and see that there is an LoI Club that is accessible to people in the four corners of Ireland, did you? Maybe people do find the standard crap, or the grounds rubbish, or the location too far away, and maybe that actually does put them off. Why are any of those three points 'pathetic' excuses?

Ironically, I'm fairly sure if someone was in conversation with you and asked you why you haven't been to see an LoI game in such a long time, you would end up babbling on trying to justify why you haven't been, and there is a huge element of hypocrisy in that. That, my friend, is pathetic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Getting this discussion some way back on topis:
    Sligo Rovers: Castlebar.
    Limerick FC: Tralee, Ennis and Nenagh/Thurles
    Cork City: Killarney
    Waterford United: Clonmel and Kilkenny
    Athlone Town: Tullamore
    Bray Wanderers: Carlow
    Drogheda United: Co. Meath
    Dundalk: Cavan and Monaghan

I'd like to see the league being more central to the development of the game within this country. As there are many regions without a club, it should be good for the game for LoI clubs to have links with junior clubs from nearby areas and for them to possibly run summer camps in these areas. It'll raise the profile of LoI clubs to a wider area. With a bit of luck for them, they might gain a few more players who'll have an impact for them.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Drogheda have had underage teams from Meath play at half time quite a few times this season. In terms of appetite for LOI football in Meath, although junior football is strong (Meath & District League) it just simply isn't there.
    You've got no fans.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see the relevance - I don't feel obliged to justify who, why or how often I support a club. I'm comfortable with it
    Of course its relevant, but i see your reasons for refusing to answer the simple straightforward questions.

I'm assuming that before you labelled peoples excuses pathetic you thought to look and see that every part of the country was accessible to a football club??? Because I dont think you did.

The simple fact is that it is no more a pathetic excuse than not going because you work nights; or because you have kids now; or because in this day and age you cant afford it. They are no different than saying you live too far away. Are they all pathetic too?

What is pathetic is the negative lads that moan about others 'excuses' for not going when they can't admit to the fact that they don't attend themselves...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Drogheda have had underage teams from Meath play at half time quite a few times this season. In terms of appetite for LOI football in Meath, although junior football is strong (Meath & District League) it just simply isn't there.
    That'd be the more reason for Drogheda to run soccer camps in Meath if they don't already and build some links with 1 or 2 junior clubs. It doesn't have to be anything that costs a lot, just something that builds a connection and helps the development of the game.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    MOD NOTE: violinhero, I'm allowing your posts through moderation because they show some level of thought and effort, but you're going to have knock the aggressive attitude on the head right now if you want to continue on Foot.ie. Macy is a well-respected member of Foot.ie and his comment wasn't aggressive, there was absolutely no need for the attitude in your comment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I don't think people are denying that there are people in places like Tory Island and Goleen who don't have local LOI teams to go and support.

When it becomes a pathetic excuse is when people from Shankill and Greystones say they have no local team because it would take them a full 10 minutes on the DART to get to the Carlisle Grounds, and this sort of thing is heard depressingly often.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Of course its relevant, but i see your reasons for refusing to answer the simple straightforward questions.
    I'm not sure which of the two replies you want me to answer? I wasn't being defensive - I go as often as I can. That's my answer - not defensive, not trying to justify it with excuses. Everyone's circumstances are different. It seems to be going over your head that my point was people don't have to justify themselves. People should stand over their decisions, and their choices. If it really matters that much to you that you had to post twice, I've missed the last two home games of the club I support - I'm not sure if that makes me a hypocrite or pathetic - frankly I'm not arsed of your opinion.

To me there is no logic to saying you don't support the LoI because of no "local" club, and then supporting a team hundreds of miles away across the sea - everyone has a nearer team than one across the sea.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I'd like to see the league being more central to the development of the game within this country. As there are many regions without a club, it should be good for the game for LoI clubs to have links with junior clubs from nearby areas and for them to possibly run summer camps in these areas. It'll raise the profile of LoI clubs to a wider area. With a bit of luck for them, they might gain a few more players who'll have an impact for them.
    I agree with this, I think that some potential fans (and perhaps prospective youth players) could struggle to get to a LoI game without a car (or a parent with a car who is willing to drive to a match). The public transport in and around Dublin is pretty good, it's extensive and doesnt cost that much. But say there is a fan from Tralee who wanted to go to a game, and he didn't have a car, it would be pretty difficult. Tralee to Cork on the train takes at least two hours an you would be lucky to get a return ticket for less than 40 euro. The last train back leaves Cork at around 9pm so if it's an evening game it's not really possible. The buses might be cheaper but they take at least as long and the last one back from Cork leaves even earlier than the train. If he want's to go to Limerick it's the same story at least 2 hours on a bus (although at least the last one at 9:30pm is a bit better but still risky). With a car it's much easier, the cost would be a lot less, the journey time would be around 90 mins and you won't have to worry about the last train/bus - but for people in certain counties without a car I really don't think it's a pathetic excuse at all, to me it seems perfectly valid.

If, as you suggest, more of the clubs had concrete links with unserved areas then perhaps, in an ideal scenario, a club like Cork City or Limerick could have a youth center linked to Tralee Dyanmos and maybe even run a minibus for home games, or if that wasnt possible they could at least figure out some sort of car share.

Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I don't think people are denying that there are people in places like Tory Island and Goleen who don't have local LOI teams to go and support.

When it becomes a pathetic excuse is when people from Shankill and Greystones say they have no local team because it would take them a full 10 minutes on the DART to get to the Carlisle Grounds, and this sort of thing is heard depressingly often.
    I'd say even from places like Arklow it could be difficult for someone to get to an LoI game (either at Bray or Wexford) if they didnt have a car. It's around 50 mins to an hour on the train either to Bray or Wexford but the service is so infrequent (even during the rush hour, let alone at weekends) it's not viable. The airport to Wexford bus is a bit more frequent but it's still very tricky and it doesnt stop in Bray so for someone from Arklow it would only be possible to go to Wexford matches. If you have a car getting to either Bray or Wicklow is a breeze, but without one you're stuck.
    Last edited by Closed Account 2; 01/10/2013 at 1:42 PM. Reason: typed "wicklow" instead of "wexford"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    That'd be the more reason for Drogheda to run soccer camps in Meath if they don't already and build some links with 1 or 2 junior clubs. It doesn't have to be anything that costs a lot, just something that builds a connection and helps the development of the game.
    I'd be surprised if most if not all clubs are doing something like that already. There are summer camps every year.
    For years now underage teams from all over the region are on the pitch at half time. I guess some links are made with kids and the club, but the amount of parents & kids involved who leave the ground right after half time seems to be huge.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I'm not sure which of the two replies you want me to answer? I wasn't being defensive - I go as often as I can. That's my answer - not defensive, not trying to justify it with excuses. Everyone's circumstances are different. It seems to be going over your head that my point was people don't have to justify themselves. People should stand over their decisions, and their choices. If it really matters that much to you that you had to post twice, I've missed the last two home games of the club I support - I'm not sure if that makes me a hypocrite or pathetic - frankly I'm not arsed of your opinion.

To me there is no logic to saying you don't support the LoI because of no "local" club, and then supporting a team hundreds of miles away across the sea - everyone has a nearer team than one across the sea.
    And yet somehow you succeeded in answering neither!! In the interests of not dragging this out let me zone in on a few specific areas:

- I asked how many games you'd attended this season, not how many you missed. Does yoir comment mean that you only missed two of Longfords home games this year?

- Can you clarify that, regarding your 'pathetic' comment, you see no reason why any person in Ireland can justify supporting a foreign club over an irish club based on proximity to a club.

- As asked previously, where do you stand on 'excuses' such as family commitments, other sporting commitments, financial restraints etc?

- What do you think of supposed LoI supporter who whinge and moan at the lack of support for the league but never actually attend games themselves?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    And yet somehow you succeeded in answering neither!! In the interests of not dragging this out let me zone in on a few specific areas:

- I asked how many games you'd attended this season, not how many you missed. Does yoir comment mean that you only missed two of Longfords home games this year?

- Can you clarify that, regarding your 'pathetic' comment, you see no reason why any person in Ireland can justify supporting a foreign club over an irish club based on proximity to a club.

- As asked previously, where do you stand on 'excuses' such as family commitments, other sporting commitments, financial restraints etc?

- What do you think of supposed LoI supporter who whinge and moan at the lack of support for the league but never actually attend games themselves?
    I'm not sure why you keep missing the point - people don't have to justify their attendance, or otherwise. I attend as much as I can (and I do attend games) - I'm comfortable with that, I don't feel the need to justify it to you (or anyone). I obviously hit a nerve - if you don't support the league, that's fine with me.

You should be comfortable with the choices you make, which you don't seem to be as you keep feeling the need to defend it and attack me for suggesting it's illogical to not support a LoI club because there's not one in your backyard, and then support a team hundreds of miles away in a different land mass. It's descended it whataboutery now. I stand by it's illogical, but it's up to the individual whether they support the LoI or not. That's it. However, they don't need to do the league down or make up excuses why they don't follow it. Similarly individuals have their own reasons for not attending particular games - no one expects a note from their mam like they're in fecking school - it's up to them where they prioritise their life.

I'm out of this discussion as it's just going around in cycles.
    Last edited by Macy; 04/10/2013 at 8:56 AM.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts

Violinhero- drawing your attention to this in case you missed it: http://foot.ie/threads/183307-LoI-cl...=1#post1713142

All your posts on this forum have been targeting Macy. This is not the place to pursue some personal vendetta.

At this stage Macy has made his point very clear. Time to drop it, or make an actual point that isn't focussed on one other poster.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

21. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123