Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Everton Irish and Opposition Irish

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Came across this on Youtube. It's a film showing the community in the St Andrew's Gardens area celebrating the opening of the Catholic Cathedral in Liverpool in 1967. Gives an insight into how homogeneous Irish Catholic working-class neighborhoods were up to this time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaBZ-7-Xg8k

My guess is that this area which is close to the Catholic Cathedral would have been an almost 100% Everton supporting community then. After the dispersal of the inner-city population to places like Croxteth and Kirkby footballing affiliations would have become increasingly less influenced by religion or ethnic ancestry. Scotland Rd / Vauxhall is propbably the only remaining Irish Catholic enclave left in the city and it remains overwhelmingly Everton supporting. Likewise in areas like Dingle and Everton where there are still active Orange Lodges there would be very few Everton supporters.

It's only really in these areas that there is any lingering connection between religious and footballing dentities.

2. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Anyone remember the 80s TV movie / drama "No Surrender"? Was it Phil Redmond or Alan Bleasdale (Blackstuff)?

Two local groups of old bigoted gits, one catholic, one protestant, booked the same dance hall for their annual function.

I'd say Liverpool is unrecognisable from those days.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 17/01/2014 at 10:11 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Now that it's established fact that Paul is talking thro' his hole and his lack of respect to an Irish granny was as misplaced as his personal knowledge/experience about Croxteth and the Rooney's local pub - the Western.
    I hope this thread can move on, unfettered by the misplaced clouds of negativity, suspicion and misdirection about the few morsels of merseyside history Granny Rooney recounted in her interview with David McWilliams.

If by some twist of fate (not too far fetched) Wayne had declared for Ireland, just think how your perceptions might well be different towards him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I take it you won't meet him then geysir?! :P

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I take it you won't meet him then geysir?! :P
    Him, your imaginary friend who claims he knows better than Grandma Rooney and Rooney family where their local pub is?!?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I pm'd you my imaginary friends details

Everton were very poor in the 2nd half, very ordinary with little or no attacking threat. They missed Barkley and they will really miss him and Coleman now. I think this is where their bid for 4th spot will tail off. Mccarthy should have cut out the cross for West Broms goal and he was very average last night, only remember hearing his name mentioned 4 or 5 times. Coleman didn't really get much of a chance to roam forward, perhaps feeling the effects of a great start, this injury could help rejuvenate him. McGeady came on did his usual few tricks and then when he had a chance to do something of note he messed it up, notably the pass through for lukaku and the cross from the left hand side.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    McCarthy put himself in a position that would normally cut out the cross, but it went cleanly through his legs. Just unlucky really as Morisson hardly spotted the gap!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Maybe, but the commentators commented saying the same. It may be over critical, but he looked half hearted, as a defender 9/10 times nothing will come from it, but you still expect hte defender to make that tackle to ensure nothing happens. He didn't over-commit and got caught for it, probably thinking it was a tight angle and nothing would come from it, but if he was a defender we would say he has to do better and should be 100% committed and concentrated. So for that, I feel he could and should have done better.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I agree he looked half hearted but he thought he had the angle cut off, which he had but it went through his legs. The commentator said that he should have done better, but that was before he saw the replay when he said... "oh it actually goes through his legs", or something to that effect.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 21/01/2014 at 12:56 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Its not just about cutting the angle off though, its cutting the supply line. He should have stopped it at source, a corner may have resulted but thats what you expect him to do, the winger shouldn't be getting the ball into the box.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I don't really get you. Are you saying that he should have committed further and run the risk of Morission getting past him and opening up and even more dangerous situation? Or are you just saying he should have closed his legs? 9/10 a corner (or block of some description) would result from the approach McCarthy took, it was just a bit freakish that it went straight through his legs.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I think he midjudged it, held off/back, didnt go in properly and had he it wouldnt have gone through his legs. I think his attitude and half-hearted attempt resulted in this. He didn't close him down enough basically, he gave him too much space and time to get it through his legs.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The only way you could criticise McCarthy for that goal is if you were actively searching for something to criticise.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Goals happen most often because of something going wrong defensively whether thats someone not doing their job properly, a blunder, a defensive lap or whatever. Whats important with defensive mistakes is the end product, does it end in a goal, if it does you look at what goes wrong or what could have affected the outcome. McCarthy could have pushed him out and kept tighter so he couldnt get the cross in, there is no defending it(albeit a tad unlukcy but as they say you make your own luck), a goal resulted.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    All goals are avoidable in hindsight. Sometimes people just score good goals. Even bad ones. Not every goal needs to be surgically dissected.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The difference is that you call it a mistake, I call it bad luck. If the ball takes a deflection, I don't blame the goalkeeper for not anticipating it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I pm'd you my imaginary friends details
    Okay, you sent me a pm about the email details of an imaginary friend from Liverpool, who could just be a real person - still a doubtful scenario. Wtf am I supposed to do with that? You ask me to meet up with him?
    Okay, I'll book a transatlantic flight next week and 3 nights in a hotel somewhere in England. What alternate universe are you residing on?
    All that effort, money and travel just to meet your friend, who supposedly will inform me personally of the delights of Croxteth
    The very same one who doesn't even know the Rooneys' local pub in Croxteth and makes a false claim to that effect? or was that just you going out on our own reconnissance and falling flat on your ear? Perhaps you are two peas from same pod.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Just proving its not an imaginary friend, and also a smack of realism would be good for you to come out of your fantasist internet existence where you fabricate responses without having a clue about what your talking about, just something you read on some other internet site to back up your fragile argument(s)

I dont think a deflection off something you know nothing about and the example last night are one and the same and therefore cannot be compared in the same context. A goalkeeper cant anticpate a deflection,it could go anywhere, over his head to his left, to his right, it could go before him out into the crowd. There was only one place that ball was going last night, the winger wasnt going to kick it out or blast it behind him, it was only going in one direction, and McCarthy was the only obstacle interfering in that line.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 21/01/2014 at 4:04 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Can Scousers be truculent?

Argumentative and hostile perhaps...
    Calm down, calm down.

21. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Just proving its not an imaginary friend, and also a smack of realism would be good for you to come out of your fantasist internet existence where you fabricate responses without having a clue about what your talking about, just something you read on some other internet site to back up your fragile argument(s)
    Delusion defined Paul. You claim authority on a matter by denigrating Granny Rooney's account and spout nonsense about their local pub. When countered with facts, you back yourself up with contradictions and retreat into some persistent state of obfuscation where no thread remains to what constitutes coherent reasoning. When all is lost then you try to denigrate me. I am quite familiar with Liverpool and absolutely sure you haven't a clue about the Rooneys and their place in Croxteth.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast