Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts

Gary O'Neill tribute...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Well done to all the clubs in action tonight. At Finn Park both sides wore shirts to offer support and I think it's been pretty special in the St Pats v Shams game too.
    Find me on Twitter @ImRedLen

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Also an announcement during the game from Finn Harps wishing O'Neill best wishes.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The breadth of the reaction to the news is testament to just how highly he's regarded at all the clubs he's played for. Great to see and hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/po...rt-gary-oneill

Drogs, Rovers & FAI unite to support Gary O'Neill

Following the announcement last week of Gary O’Neill’s testicular cancer diagnosis, there has been an overwhelming display of goodwill and support for him and his family throughout the League of Ireland and beyond. It is a testament to the high esteem in which Gary is held and Gary has been deeply touched by the many, many messages that he has received both personally, through the club and through social media.

Gary will be undergoing surgery within the coming week and following this a period of ongoing treatment which will mean he is unable to work for a number of months. In recognition of the difficult period ahead of Gary and his family and in order to alleviate further stress to them all, Drogheda United has liaised with Gary’s former club Shamrock Rovers and the FAI and are pleased to announce the following:

Following agreement between Drogheda United and Shamrock Rovers half of the total prize fund from the final will be donated to Gary. The Football Association of Ireland will be adding a further €5000 so that Gary can embark upon the challenge ahead without any financial concerns for his wife and young family. Drogheda United, Shamrock Rovers and the FAI are delighted to be able to assist and support Gary and his family in this small way. The Players Football Association of Ireland (PFAI) is currently also working on a range of fundraising initiatives and will announce details in due course.

Gary has asked us to convey the following statement on his behalf:

I am both touched and sincerely appreciative of the incredible support that I have received and continue to receive since the news of my illness emerged last week. I thank above all everyone at my club Drogheda United for the wonderful medical assistance, the friendship and kindness shown to me and my family during this time. I also wish to thank the PFAI for their support. It was very emotional for me to see all the players in the league wearing t-shirts expressing their good wishes last weekend. My family and I are overwhelmed by the generous gesture of Drogheda United, Shamrock Rovers and John Delaney. When I was diagnosed and discovered that my work would be affected, one of my first thoughts was how I would support my family. I can’t put into words how much it means to us to have that major worry removed at a time when I need all my strength to fight this disease. Thank you to all those I have mentioned and to everyone who is supporting me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Having his op today, best of luck Gary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The breadth of the reaction to the news is testament to just how highly he's regarded at all the clubs he's played for. Great to see and hopefully he makes a quick recovery.

Well i would hope that clubs would get behind any player who was diagnosed with cancer, not just one that they liked.
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'd imagine that's exactly that. Loads of Pats fans wouldn't be huge fans of O'Neill and he left on pretty bad terms

But Shankly was an eejit and football is only a game. I'm glad Pats have come out in support of O'Neill and (to be fair) it hasn't just been his old clubs either.

Great gesture by Rovers and Drogheda with the EA prize money
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/