Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway FC

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts

Galway FC

Galway Advertiser reports that there'll be a Galway FC next year.

https://www.facebook.com/GalwayAdver...51845488376941

"Galway FC to be officially launched in next few weeks. Cooperative-type ownership model to be explored with a vote on this after first season."

Post on GUFC forum says that a 9 person board is in place:

A 9-person board has been put in place: Joe Keating and Declan Mooney of the Galway FA; John Flannery and Tommy Lally of GUST; Jim McSpadden and Oliver Daniels of Salthill Devon; and Declan McDonnell and Donnie Farragher of Mervue United; along with independent chairperson, Bernie O'Connell.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Intersting. I thought it had all gone by the waste side a few weeks ago.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    This seems very strange. Not sure GUST are on side with this. Seems crazy to put out an announcement when one of the major parties has not given consent?

The way this whole process has been handled has been very disappointing.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Not the first time GUST have been made to look like fools they really got played. United they stood but divided they are falling. Some of the Gustys are supporting this new franchise club, but more are walking away.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    With two GUST members said to be on the board I thought they were involved in this. If GUST are not involved then saying "John Flannery and Tom Lally GUST" is a bit misleading.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 11/09/2013 at 5:26 PM.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Looks from the snippet above the GUST are onboard, and all Galway clubs are onboard this idea. Leaves us now wondering will Salthill and Mervue pull their senior teams from the league, leaving a good few vacancies to fill?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I'll believe it when I see the DVD.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I'll believe it when I see the DVD.
    Richie Towell, a virtual unknown. Enough said. Jog on ya nutter.
    roddy collins you're a flanker you're a flanker!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Galway FC is a long way from Happening, dont know where press release came from, the names mentioned as for those involed in the talks and the board has been elected yet, Gust still have to vote to decide if we will back this new club. Looks like SD Galway all over again if Im honest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    So can we assume that the word United will never be successful in an application to re-join?

What about Galway City instead? What was their first name when they entered in 1978, Rovers I think?

And why exactly are the FAI so against the GUST people or did i pick that up wrong?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    Whatever they end up being called, everyone knows it will be Galway United. As for Mervue/Salthill they have a combined 50 hardcore fans which will be worth nothing to them.

This team is Galway United.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bawnville Hoop View Post
    Whatever they end up being called, everyone knows it will be Galway United. As for Mervue/Salthill they have a combined 50 hardcore fans which will be worth nothing to them.

This team is Galway United.
    GUST asked for this press release to be held as GUST need members to vote on this: 3 reasons I cant see GUST being involved:
    1. Structure of club wont be a co -op
    2. Mervue & Salthill get to all solidarity money for 5 years
    3. Mervue or Salthill will get €500 per year a player has played with either club for every a player signed (eg if a player played 4 years with Mervue Galway Fc must pay Mervue 2k to sign that player) Most people agree Galway FC should be mainly local players so this could Cost Galway Fc 20k a year as Galway FC wont have an underage structure to sign their own players.

Galway Fc could train on plenty on pitches at little cost like Galway Utd but they will be forced use Mervue or Salthill facilities and be charged a decent rent for the privilage.

This press realease has annoyed people in Galway Fa and their have been calls for Galway Fa to discuss this aswell

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Not a good solution at all. It seems that Mervue and Salthill are calling the shots in relation to the type of soccer club there will be in Galway, and I suppose they feel they can do this because of their membership of the LoI. Yet both these clubs have failed to attract any support from the city and county during the years they have been in the league. For me supporters/fans are the most important element in any club (UCD probably an exception), and a new team must represent them; and since the two clubs already in the league from Galway have no fans to talk of I don't see why their owners should have any major part to play in a galway team. Also, I would allow and even encourage both Mervue and Salthill to stay in the LoI as long as they wish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Not a good solution at all. It seems that Mervue and Salthill are calling the shots in relation to the type of soccer club there will be in Galway, and I suppose they feel they can do this because of their membership of the LoI. Yet both these clubs have failed to attract any support from the city and county during the years they have been in the league. For me supporters/fans are the most important element in any club (UCD probably an exception), and a new team must represent them; and since the two clubs already in the league from Galway have no fans to talk of I don't see why their owners should have any major part to play in a galway team. Also, I would allow and even encourage both Mervue and Salthill to stay in the LoI as long as they wish.
    But the crowd that have had 0 fans in the league recently should?

17. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    How many underage sides do GUST operate at the moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    How many underage sides do GUST operate at the moment?
    GUST had one underage team last year (FAI U19 League), we were not allowed to continue to field at this level despite seeking to do so.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    GUST had one underage team last year (FAI U19 League), we were not allowed to continue to field at this level despite seeking to do so.
    Thanks PD, just wondering as I am trying to remember how many underage sides the old Galway United had (I did see an under-20 or 19 team play). It's interesting as GUST have the chance to build from grassroots up with under-10's (I know it goes younger but just picking one age to kick off with) up to 16's/18's locally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Can't help but think that the problems that beset the LOI are right here in microcosm.

Poor leadership from the governing body; internecine warfare; no connection between junior and senior grades; erratic links with underage football. Sigh.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Seems like the system proposed is designed to fail. Mervue and SD are far too protectionist to really be on board. The old tactic of making whats on offer be so unacceptable that it gets rejected and in this case GUST say no to the plan and Mervue and SD can walk away happy and lay the blame at somone elses door.

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Thanks PD, just wondering as I am trying to remember how many underage sides the old Galway United had (I did see an under-20 or 19 team play). It's interesting as GUST have the chance to build from grassroots up with under-10's (I know it goes younger but just picking one age to kick off with) up to 16's/18's locally.
    GUST have been building a good relationship with junior clubs all over Galway over the last few years and I personally don't see how that could continue with them fielding teams at every age-group. It would turn all the clubs in Galway into competitors again.

Delicate situation. Would love to say I have the answer to it.

26. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast