Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway FC

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dunne View Post
    Its the silly season in LOI - I hope no-one is going to Harps claiming that Galway are offering them €400 a week !
    I think you have bigger things to be worried about Mr Dunne.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Here is a better quality logo for Galway FC.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's just the GUST logo sans the "United Supporters Trust" part, right? Does that tell us something about the make-up of the club's decision-makers?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Best of luck to them. I just hope to god it all goes well and we have another strong team competing for honours in the league. The league needs to have a strong team in Galway and i hope they can put all the recent history behind them now and all get behind this team. This is the best means available to Galway football to get players playing to the highest level they can. Onwards and upwards !!
    The "league" got on fine without a strong Galway club over the past five years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean South View Post
    In the last five years the league got on fine? Is that how you'd describe it?
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    In the last five years the league got on fine? Is that how you'd describe it?
    Stick to what you said. Having a strong Galway club which never existed in the past won't stop clubs ran by gombeens going under.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    I'm still not quite sure what your issue with the term "the league" is, and why it must always be placed in inverted commas.

Anyway, a strong Galway club is good for the league. A strong Cork club is good for the league. A strong Dublin club, Sligo club, Athlone club, or wherever is good for the league. The broader the league's appeal across a wide geographical base, the stronger it is, all other things being equal. Or would you consider the league to be equally as well off with 20 teams from all over the country as it would with 8, all from rural Monaghan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    It's just the GUST logo sans the "United Supporters Trust" part, right? Does that tell us something about the make-up of the club's decision-makers?
    Probably tells us more about the graphic designers.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    A very good article in the Indo, it sets out what this Galway fc is about. LoI fans are always excited to see a supposed strong club come into the league, and this is understandable. The same feeling was expressed for Limerick's return to the top division early this year, and for those old enough to remember the entry of a Cork team and before that Derry to the league. Hard to see how this Galway fc project will work out, but they should really walk the first division next year and then we will see how much support the club can get to add to the sponsor money in order to fund a decent playing panel that can be competitive in the top flight.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    A very good article in the Indo, it sets out what this Galway fc is about. LoI fans are always excited to see a supposed strong club come into the league, and this is understandable. The same feeling was expressed for Limerick's return to the top division early this year, and for those old enough to remember the entry of a Cork team and before that Derry to the league. Hard to see how this Galway fc project will work out, but they should really walk the first division next year and then we will see how much support the club can get to add to the sponsor money in order to fund a decent playing panel that can be competitive in the top flight.
    What makes you say that?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    What makes you say that?
    Some of their fans are talking about trying to sign people like Gaffney, Russell and Davoren so im guessing they either have a nice bit to spend or are mental.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Some of their fans are talking about trying to sign people like Gaffney, Russell and Davoren so im guessing they either have a nice bit to spend or are mental.
    Or their fans don't have a clue. If they can get 1,000 people a week in and have the €100k a year in sponsorship it's alleged, they should be able to put together a decent First Division squad but that's just lala land.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Or their fans don't have a clue. If they can get 1,000 people a week in and have the €100k a year in sponsorship it's alleged, they should be able to put together a decent First Division squad but that's just lala land.
    Surely that isn't the expectations. Even if they managed to pull 1,000 out to the first game, sustaining it is much more difficult. If they happened to get the money to sign those players then fair play to them and ya they will probably win the league but if they are basing it on projected crowds that high also they are in trouble from the get go.

I was under the impression they were coming back similar to Cobh with a young squad or one primarily of Salthill and Mervue players.
    Last edited by Jofspring; 01/12/2013 at 8:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    None of the above players will be signing for Galway Fc as they are all good enough to Play in premier league. I expect that most of the players wiill come from Salthill & Mervue with a few players like Derek O Brien to sign as well.

Galway Fc is rumored to have a playing budget of just under 2k a week, I expect shels & Longford to fight for top spot & everyone else fighting for 3rd place

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Surely that isn't the expectations. Even if they managed to pull 1,000 out to the first game, sustaining it is much more difficult. If they happened to get the money to sign those players then fair play to them and ya they will probably win the league but if they are basing it on projected crowds that high also they are in trouble from the get go.

I was under the impression they were coming back similar to Cobh with a young squad or one primarily of Salthill and Mervue players.
    There's no way of guessing how much they'll get. I guess 1,000 would be very optimistic for the First Division - I stupidly was going on what they used to get in the Premier but this is a different kettle. They're not going to get Gaffney or Russell. Davoren maybe because he wouldn't have to move house, but by the sounds of it his wage demands were too much for Sligo, let alone Galway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Don't forget all the years before Galway Rovers joined.

I know you're just a WUM but it's not going to make or break the league. Support in Galway has been poor enough for a club with its catchment area. Galway is probably the most "typical" Irish region in terms of fairweather support for all sports. When the team was going well in the LoI 20 years ago Terryland was being packed out but when we were struggling along in the Premier crowds were just above the 1000 mark (not too bad in LoI terms to be fair) - however, probably the most passionate support came in the last season when despite being battered every week the attendances still held up pretty well. I doubt any other club, with the possible exception of Shamrock Rovers, would have achieved the crowds Galway United did in that season. That was due to the fact that the supporters were running the show and there was a lot of sympathy there. As soon as GUST got screwed over the LoI crowds disappeared. One 'derby' match last season had an attendance of 23! These facts can't be ignored by the new regime. The supporters have to be respected or very quickly this new team will go the way of SD Galway.
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    I cannot see this club going down the route of SD Galway. Going from the people visiting the stand in shop street, there is a huge appetite for LOI football to be once again back up the dyke road, and I would be expecting an even bigger average attendance next season that the one last seen when GUFC were last in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    As long as the team is in contention for play offs or promotion (which I expect them to be) then I would reckon average crowds close to the 1,000 mark.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    How do Galway United fans see this new entity? Will they take on supporting a new club or will it be a general interest in LoI being played out of Galway, although Mervue and SD's foray would not suggest the latter. Genuine question as obviously a connection has to be created with a fan base. It didnt work with SF, Dublin City or Kildare (if it had been Newbridge would they have fared any better?). Cork fans have a good bit of experience with this type of thing and it worked out, but for myself if Dundalk FC were to no longer exist I dont think i'd be that fussed about a Dundalk United featuring a piece of say Bellurgan/Rock Celtic/Quay and remnants of the defunct club. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I hope its a success and becomes a well supported club. Galway Gazelles FC - if things hit the skids do a Hull City job and really get the fans onside!?!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 02/12/2013 at 2:00 PM.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast