Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Galway FC

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    3. Mervue or Salthill will get €500 per year a player has played with either club for every a player signed (eg if a player played 4 years with Mervue Galway Fc must pay Mervue 2k to sign that player) Most people agree Galway FC should be mainly local players so this could Cost Galway Fc 20k a year as Galway FC wont have an underage structure to sign their own players.
    That one just seems bonkers. If anything it would make "Galway FC" seek out players from other counties instead of from local teams as it would be too costly.

It would also open it up for Limerick, Sligo, Cork, Athlone etc… to come in and take the best Mervue and Salthill players because you can be sure none of those clubs would be coughing up €2,000 for an amateur player.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufcfan View Post
    GUST have been building a good relationship with junior clubs all over Galway over the last few years and I personally don't see how that could continue with them fielding teams at every age-group. It would turn all the clubs in Galway into competitors again.

Delicate situation. Would love to say I have the answer to it.
    Similar situation is arising in Limerick.

For the future of Limerick FC we need to have structures below Senior and Under 19's. Limerick now has Schoolboy teams at nearly every level from under 5's up to 16's, most of whom are doing well. A few people are aggrieved by this in the city and think Limerick should not be competing against them.

So what are clubs to do in this situation? Scrap schoolboys and rely on junior teams for players for the rest of time? Have no underage structures of our own? Continually have to bring in players from other clubs or abroad?

Basically football in this country is ****ed.

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Similar situation is arising in Limerick.

For the future of Limerick FC we need to have structures below Senior and Under 19's. Limerick now has Schoolboy teams at nearly every level from under 5's up to 16's, most of whom are doing well. A few people are aggrieved by this in the city and think Limerick should not be competing against them.

So what are clubs to do in this situation? Scrap schoolboys and rely on junior teams for players for the rest of time? Have no underage structures of our own? Continually have to bring in players from other clubs or abroad?

Basically football in this country is ****ed.

At my local football team, like other teams from around, they constantly lose their best players the Drogheda Boys, the youth structure of Drogheda United, which has left the Drogheda League considerably weaker than surrounding leagues, meaning players left behind have less chance of improving. Problem is Drogheda Boys rarely improve players and end up turning young lads off football and onto GAA, causing a lot of fustration with junior clubs.

Just asking what League is Limerick youths in ? are they playing in the same league as the players former clubs ? if so would they not be better running the league team from u-12s to u-16s and have a team at u-17,18,19 (when schoolboys end).

Also would Galway FC run the ETP/League team which is a mixture of salthill and mervue players ? could be a good option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiki Balboa View Post
    Just asking what League is Limerick youths in ? are they playing in the same league as the players former clubs ? if so would they not be better running the league team from u-12s to u-16s and have a team at u-17,18,19 (when schoolboys end).
    This year Limerick FC have 22 teams (if you include the minis starting after Christmas) playing across the LDSL. (Limerick District Schoolboy League.)

From Under 7s up to Under 16s.

There's probably only two or three of those age groups where we would be considered to have one of the stronger teams, we're still very much a work in progress.

Ideally, the senior team would run the local league team but history/politics means that there is more chance of your Drogheda Boys improving and going on to win the Champions League.

The other option (not having a schoolboy set up) isn't what we want so we have to run schoolboy teams (which I'm sure most people within the club consider a monumental pain in the balls)

I don't get the problem with the Galway FC having to pay Mervue and Salthill for young lads?? Don't all clubs get got for youth development money when signing young lads?? Hoban to Dundalk, Gaffney to Limerick etc, etc.

Also, on the solidarity money, where do GUST suggest it should go??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Compensation for any young players signed on a professional contract like every other LOI club, yes. Compensation for every single player signed on amateur forms, no.

Solidarity money should go the senior LOI club, which should have an U19 team like every other LOI club.

All that people are looking for in Galway is the same rules applying as around the country - which unfortunately hasn't happened here for a few years now.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Surprise surprise FAI failed to answer questuons

http://www.connachttribune.ie/sport/...alway-payments

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainee View Post
    Surprise surprise FAI failed to answer questuons

http://www.connachttribune.ie/sport/...alway-payments
    So GUST have registered both GUFC and GFC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Yes GUST own both those Business names, GUST registered the GFC well over a year as the name GUFC was unavailable, and when GUFC was struck earlier this year it registered the name GUFC

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    They should call it the Galway United Football Federation. Seems to me that GUFF would be an apt name.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The business name means sod all. They can call the business DVDs'r'us Ltd and still run a football club called Galway FC so that's not an impediment at all.

From the sounds of it, no one in Galway deserves a LOI club.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The business name means sod all. They can call the business DVDs'r'us Ltd and still run a football club called Galway FC so that's not an impediment at all.

From the sounds of it, no one in Galway deserves a LOI club.
    All we are asking for is a fighting chance. Your comment is a huge slur on the men and women of gust who have worked tirelessly to keep the idea of loi alive for last few years despite the constant kickings they receive from the so called football family.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    All we are asking for is a fighting chance. Your comment is a huge slur on the men and women of gust who have worked tirelessly to keep the idea of loi alive for last few years despite the constant kickings they receive from the so called football family.
    And what about all the slurs that fans of GUST/GUFC/GUFF etc have thrown at the people involved with Salthill and Mervue.

It's clear none of you want to work together equitably so drop the high horse act

I'd only be too delighted to see premier division football return to Galway, and I hope I'm wrong, but it looks doomed
    ---

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Why such opposition to a supporters owned club in Galway. Both Salthill and Mervue are owned by their members? Two of the clubs with most fans in Ireland are one member/one vote organisations; ie Shamrock R and Cork. Bohs while having a terrible time on the pitch still have crowds equal to the one person owned Pats who are top of the table and playing some of the best style of soccer I have seen in the LoI.
    Allow GUST compete in the League and let the market(league table) decide who is best to represent Galway city and county on the soccer fields of Ireland.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    And what about all the slurs that fans of GUST/GUFC/GUFF etc have thrown at the people involved with Salthill and Mervue.

It's clear none of you want to work together equitably so drop the high horse act

I'd only be too delighted to see premier division football return to Galway, and I hope I'm wrong, but it looks doomed
    i have never been on a horse in my life. All the people of Galway want is a club to support. To say we don't want it or don't deserve it is a slur on the hard work done by gust to keep everything going. Is it a lot to expect to be treated the same as derry cork or shams? . Is it a lot to hope to put together a club that has a future instead of expected to have it raped for the next 5 years. This club will go ahead with or without gust but only with gust can it succeed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think you're mistaken there.
    The situation would be similar to Cork, and previously Limerick.
    Cork City FORAS FC only changed its trading name after acquiring the right to use the business name "Cork City FC".
    Likewise, Limerick 37 FC only changed its trading name after acquiring the rights to use the business name "Limerick FC".
    Fight the good fight!

(Now with my very own account on foot.ie - How cool am I? - 15/02/07)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post
    Cork City FORAS FC only changed its trading name after acquiring the right to use the business name "Cork City FC".
    Likewise, Limerick 37 FC only changed its trading name after acquiring the rights to use the business name "Limerick FC".
    correct. I'm sure coke would stop me using their name if I tried.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    What they said about Mervue and Salthill is nothing compared to what they are saying about each other now, those who agree with GFC and those who don't. Mental stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Would you blame them though?. How would you feel if Investec called in their money and Cherry Orchard rebranded themselves ''CO St Patricks'' and changed their colours to red and white?

It's still worth going back a level in all of this. If the FAI didn't think that Galway could sustain 3 teams they shouldn't have let Mervue and Salthill into the A Championship. The fact that they were able to play there way out of it at a time when GUFC were in the Premier would suggest that there's little wrong with the players being produced out west and that players wise at least Galway could handle having three First Div clubs. If this situation was allowed to develop there would only be one winner between the three. The GUST deserve great credit for not doing a Monaghan and keeping their club going through 2011. It is a disgrace that they were not offered the opportunity to beat the other two clubs on the field of play and to demonstrate how well they could run a club on an ongoing basis.
    EL grounds are like good episodes of The Simpsons, no matter how many times you see them they're still funny

28. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Is it Investec the bank that Kelleher has the St Pats loans with ?, he also has millions in loans with the Bank that was called Anglo Irish. Not sure anybody from St Pats can lecture soccer fans from Galway, who just want a chance to have their team/club back to follow again in the LoI. Many of these fans would have followed Galway Utd/Rovers for over 20-25 years of their life and there is every chance that they have the numbers to keep a competitive club going in the first divison at least. The idea that these people should now support an amalgamated Salthill/Mervue is plain silly, and must come from those who have no understanding of football culture. Supporting a team in the LoI is not the same as going to the a play or concert.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gordongekko View Post
    i have never been on a horse in my life. All the people of Galway want is a club to support. To say we don't want it or don't deserve it is a slur on the hard work done by gust to keep everything going.
    I didn't say GUST. I said Galway people. Everyone is to blame (and everyone involved with football in Ireland is hardworking, GUST do not have a monopoly on that name)

Quote Originally Posted by redron View Post
    The company behind St Patrick's Athletic is called Newtonheath Ltd. They trade as St Patrick's Athletic FC. Derry City had no issues starting fresh and claiming the name. AFAIK Galway FC hasn't start trading so I don't see on what basis anyone could complain to the FAI if Galway FC applied to join the league.

Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Many of these fans would have followed Galway Utd/Rovers for over 20-25 years of their life and there is every chance that they have the numbers to keep a competitive club going in the first divison at least. The idea that these people should now support an amalgamated Salthill/Mervue is plain silly, and must come from those who have no understanding of football culture.
    I'm afraid they've no choice as they currently sit in the LOI and have every right to defend that position from a club that committed suicide not so long ago.
    ---

31. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast