Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Drogs to dump Cooke?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dejadem View Post
    But maybe the same budget is not been offered? I have no idea by the way, but it won't be surprising if there was a drop in budget to match a drop in income.
    The more I hear about it, the more it strikes me that a parting was inevitable.

Mick Cooke got a taste of sucess last year, and potentially this year in the cup competitions. Of course, he wants more. However, the problem Drogheda have is the lack of support from the town. No matter how hard their dedicated fans fund raise, they cannot replace the funds that would be generated from 2,000 fans and decent sponsorship from local businesses. I mention 2,000 as that is the level of support apparently needed for a decent budget.

Mick went through a similar (though much worse) problem in Monaghan. No matter how hard he worked, the support wasn't there to take it to the next level.

He probably feels that it is now or never for him.

It would appear that the Board are being pragmatic and don't want to jeopardise the viability of the club. If that is the case, they are right in what they do. However, it is vital that they explain it properly to their fans. They deserve to be told the truth.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post

Mick Cooke got a taste of sucess last year, and potentially this year in the cup competitions. Of course, he wants more. However, the problem Drogheda have is the lack of support from the town. No matter how hard their dedicated fans fund raise, they cannot replace the funds that would be generated from 2,000 fans and decent sponsorship from local businesses. I mention 2,000 as that is the level of support apparently needed for a decent budget.

Mick went through a similar (though much worse) problem in Monaghan. No matter how hard he worked, the support wasn't there to take it to the next level.

It would appear that the Board are being pragmatic and don't want to jeopardise the viability of the club. If that is the case, they are right in what they do. However, it is vital that they explain it properly to their fans. They deserve to be told the truth.
    Good stuff.
    As a Drogs fan, I'm very sad to see Mick go. I just cannot see another manager doing as well as him. Drogs league crowds have been very poor, but they do turn up for the big games. Without Mick in charge, I cannot see many more of them coming up after this season. Thanks, Mick. Really disappointing end.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Seems there is a long list of reasons why he has had to be let go. To be honest I'm surprised they hung onto him so long. Its all down to trust and loyalty (and money). Apparently Mick interviewed for the limerick job behind the clubs back. Other stories of utterly appalling treatment of players such as Brian Gannon and Stephen Quigley this season.

It would appear Mick Cooke the gentleman is a public persona. As is the case with so many managers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMourinho View Post
    Seems there is a long list of reasons why he has had to be let go. To be honest I'm surprised they hung onto him so long. Its all down to trust and loyalty (and money). Apparently Mick interviewed for the limerick job behind the clubs back. Other stories of utterly appalling treatment of players such as Brian Gannon and Stephen Quigley this season.

It would appear Mick Cooke the gentleman is a public persona. As is the case with so many managers.
    Why do I have a feeling that you know a lot more than you are saying?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Because I do.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

I agree, if that is the case that they are protecting the club from an overspend (with prize money there was a profit from last season). The problem is, nobody seems to know, or is saying, if that is the reasoning behind it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Why announce it now though unless Cooke himself was going to make it known. Surely they could have waited at least until after the cup game this weekend and the league cup final.
    There's obviously a lot more going on behind the scenes but he has done a fantastic job for Drogheda and they will struggle to replicate that over the next couple of seasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Apparently Mick interviewed for the limerick job behind the clubs back. Other stories of utterly appalling treatment of players such as Brian Gannon and Stephen Quigley this season.
    So what if he went for Limerick job? Look how the club hired in Mick and got rid of Bobby Browne, that was hardly the work of gentlemen.
    Didn't Quigley ask to leave in the window to get first team football?
    If that's the basis of the reasoning is seems like those running the club need to man up a little.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    If Mick Cooke went for the Limerick job, I'm scratching my head as to why he didn't get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Well he put himself in the shop window now anyway. He mightn't have played a nice brand of football, could be down to the players he had but he did get a lot out of them and that's something that most clubs would love to see.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dejadem View Post
    So what if he went for Limerick job? Look how the club hired in Mick and got rid of Bobby Browne, that was hardly the work of gentlemen.
    Didn't Quigley ask to leave in the window to get first team football?
    If that's the basis of the reasoning is seems like those running the club need to man up a little.
    At least Monaghan united knew about the Drogs interest in Mick. No Quigley didn't ask to leave. He was put on the stand at the Europa league press conference against Malmo and then told the next morning to sling his hook without any explanation. Brian Gannon was told he wasn't wanted on the last day of the window too and was unbelievably lucky to sort a club out in time. Disgusting behaviour from a man, never mind a manager. Turns out it doesn't end there and that the players indicated they won't be signing for him again next season. That is why it had to happen now. This is the time when the club needs to be sorting out its squad for next year.

Do you not care that your so called manager would interview for anything under the sun? He's only interested in the money. Drogs have very little of that and thus have to protect their club at all costs. I commend the board for taking the unbelieveably brave and difficult decision to do this, knowing the reaction they would get. That is true love for your club, especially when you are only a volunteer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    At least Monaghan united knew about the Drogs interest in Mick. No Quigley didn't ask to leave. He was put on the stand at the Europa league press conference against Malmo and then told the next morning to sling his hook without any explanation. Brian Gannon was told he wasn't wanted on the last day of the window too and was unbelievably lucky to sort a club out in time. Disgusting behaviour from a man, never mind a manager. Turns out it doesn't end there and that the players indicated they won't be signing for him again next season. That is why it had to happen now. This is the time when the club needs to be sorting out its squad for next year.

Do you not care that your so called manager would interview for anything under the sun? He's only interested in the money. Drogs have very little of that and thus have to protect their club at all costs. I commend the board for taking the unbelieveably brave and difficult decision to do this, knowing the reaction they would get. That is true love for your club, especially when you are only a volunteer.

The way you describe it, it makes perfect sense.

The bit I don't understand is why allow him to stay for the rest of the season. It gives him a platform to agitate and get the fans angry with the Board.

Surely, a clean break would have been better for the club?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    The club didn't announce that. An unknown source leaked that to the media (Mick). If the club want to pay his contract off, Mick doesn't have a choice to decide to stay until the end of the season. The club are still undergoing due process with Mick, hence no announcements. Its Mick that has thrown the grenade into the thing by deciding to go to the media in order to spin his position.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    DUFC statement: http://www.droghedaunited.ie/news/po...heda-united-fc

"Over the past number of months it has become clear that the club and first team manager Mick Cooke were not of the same mind in regard to the future direction of the club. Acting in the best long-term interests of the club, the board has decided not to appoint Mick for the 2014 season.

The board is disappointed that its confidential affairs have been aired in the media over the past number of days. It is not appropriate for the board to comment further at this time."
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post

The board is disappointed that its confidential affairs have been aired in the media over the past number of days. It is not appropriate for the board to comment further at this time."
    This backs up what MM has been saying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    This backs up what MM has been saying.
    To be fair, it doesn't really back up anything. It just mentions he's going and they'd prefer people didn't know about it.

You're point about him staying on being ridiculous is spot on.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Like I said lads, he wont be staying on. Due process is currently being followed. He will be sacked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Do you not care that your so called manager would interview for anything under the sun?
    Of course I care. But when was this, the start of the season? 6 months ago? Is that really one of the MAJOR reasons?
    Point is, things are not adding up here, that's all.

"so called manager"?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    A manager under contract cannot just go meeting other clubs by himself to talk about taking over them. Yes, that would be ONE of the major issues. You have to demand some loyalty from someone who you have just handed a new contract to, with a pay rise, which he signed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    A manager under contract cannot just go meeting other clubs by himself to talk about taking over them. Yes, that would be ONE of the major issues. You have to demand some loyalty from someone who you have just handed a new contract to, with a pay rise, which he signed.
    You realise how you appointed Mick Cooke, don't you?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

22. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast