Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Austria V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 10th September 2013 - World Cup 14 Qualifier

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Yes but we definitely wouldnt have qualified if we had drawn a decent team, a huge element of luck in that draw. When we got to the actual business end of the Euros we didnt cover ourselves in glory.
    But I guess some people celebrate this as "success"
    Again, an endless rehash of the usual revisionist nonsense, this time with added childish sarcasm.
    We won the away games in the qual campaign, games which other managers found impossible to win. We were seeded on merit, totally on merit.
    We would have been favourites or slight favourites to beat any of the 4 play-off possible opponents.

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Blog on game and trip if anyone's interested.....

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/201...oor-opens.html
    Irish Football Blog - A False First XI - http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.ie/

Twitter: @afalsefirstxi

To Follow on Facebook go to:https://www.facebook.com/afalsefirstxi/

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Again, an endless rehash of the usual revisionist nonsense, this time with added childish sarcasm.
    We won the away games in the qual campaign, games which other managers found impossible to win. We were seeded on merit, totally on merit.
    We would have been favourites or slight favourites to beat any of the 4 play-off possible opponents.
    So why are you not sticking then with Trap
    Oh yes I know why!
    Last edited by bennocelt; 13/09/2013 at 2:12 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, Trap's results before the Euros justified his managerial position...the performances during didn't, which is why/when he should have left with the gratitude of most of a nation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    So why are you not sticking then with Trap
    Oh yes I know why!
    Benno, as it's not humanly possible right now for you to bridge the gap between knowledge and what you think you know, I wouldn't advise you to try answering that question, one that somehow in your bizarre logic, you assume is a reason to support your assertion that
    "we definitely wouldnt have qualified if we had drawn a decent team, a huge element of luck in that draw."
    The first step for you, is explain why you think there was a huge element of luck in that draw?
    What decent team would have definitely beaten us in Nov 2011, a poorish Turkey? Bosnia? Montenegro? or do you want to go back further and point out all the "luck" we had before the playoffs which improved our seed status in the draw?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Benno, as it's not humanly possible right now for you to bridge the gap between knowledge and what you think you know, I wouldn't advise you to try answering that question, one that somehow in your bizarre logic, you assume is a reason to support your assertion that
    "we definitely wouldnt have qualified if we had drawn a decent team, a huge element of luck in that draw."
    The first step for you, is explain why you think there was a huge element of luck in that draw?
    What decent team would have definitely beaten us in Nov 2011, a poorish Turkey? Bosnia? Montenegro? or do you want to go back further and point out all the "luck" we had before the playoffs which improved our seed status in the draw?
    Because most half decent teams do well against us? Turkey, Bosnia would have beaten us. I will give you monetengro. But then how can I tell? Well tell me any decent teams we HAVE actually beaten under Trap, and dont count Armenia!
    Now Traps gone, what does that say? Was he not the greatest thing since sliced bread?!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, Ireland drew with Montenegro home and away under Trap, so would say they're evenly matched.

But our recent record v.'decent' teams generally is poor in terms of wins but much better v.the mediocre and dross prior to this latest campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Does this whole debate actually matter now he's gone?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Someone has to write the history!
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Because most half decent teams do well against us? Turkey, Bosnia would have beaten us. I will give you monetengro. But then how can I tell? Well tell me any decent teams we HAVE actually beaten under Trap, and dont count Armenia!
    Now Traps gone, what does that say? Was he not the greatest thing since sliced bread?!
    If we can stretch it to friendlies, I suppose we could include Poland, Bosnia, Paraguay, Colombia... Erm...

Comfortably beating Macedonia away was a result for which credit is deserved, in fairness. It was the type of game in which we'd always faltered in the past.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Tbf, Ireland drew with Montenegro home and away under Trap, so would say they're evenly matched.

But our recent record v.'decent' teams generally is poor in terms of wins but much better v.the mediocre and dross prior to this latest campaign.
    Were denied the most stone wall pen away to Montenegro I've seen and were the better team that day and the home game was a dead rubber to be fair.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Someone has to write the history!
    That's no problem,
    It's the rewriting of history that's an issue.

"Bosnia would have definitely beaten us in the play offs, absolutely no doubt."
    "Didn't we beat Bosnia?"
    "Oh that was a friendly and they looked the better team in the first half"

"Didn't we do well in the second half?"
    "oh, they just tired, jet lagged"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    That's no problem,
    It's the rewriting of history that's an issue.

"Bosnia would have definitely beaten us in the play offs, absolutely no doubt."
    "Didn't we beat Bosnia?"
    "Oh that was a friendly and they looked the better team in the first half"

"Didn't we do well in the second half?"
    "oh, they just tired, jet lagged"
    Two can play at that game. Facts are the team dont perform well against decent opposition, surely Geysir you cant argue against that?
    I mean, christ, even Northern Ireland beat Russia (ok they also lost to luxembourg!), but it can be done if tactics and correct management are applied.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Two can play at that game. Facts are the team dont perform well against decent opposition, surely Geysir you cant argue against that?
    I mean, christ, even Northern Ireland beat Russia (ok they also lost to luxembourg!), but it can be done if tactics and correct management are applied.
    Benno you rewrite your facts. I'll stick to the fact that we gave Italy and France a decent game in the first campaign, but no doubt you'll find lucky reasons for that In the second campaign, our invincible rearguard collapsed but we did more than enough to qualify for the Euros ahead of a bunch of middling teams. But just like some teams who get promoted to the premier league, he made a big mistake with sticking to the team and tactics that got him there. So yes the time was up on those tactics after we qualified, even before then. Gibson and one other would not have made much overall difference, but it would have been the thing to do.
    Last edited by geysir; 15/09/2013 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Benno you rewrite your facts. I'll stick to the fact that we gave Italy and France a decent game in the first campaign, but no doubt you'll find lucky reasons for that In the second campaign, our invincible rearguard collapsed but we did more than enough to qualify for the Euros ahead of a bunch of middling teams. But just like some teams who get promoted to the premier league, he made a big mistake with sticking to the team and tactics that got him there. So yes the time was up on those tactics after we qualified, even before then. Gibson and one other would not have made much overall difference, but it would have been the thing to do.
    But we didnt beat them either. Anyway a week is long time, now back to club football (thank god)

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, there are loads of times Ireland have played well v. 'decent opposition'.
    Just not recently. Since Russia away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Bumping thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789