Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 24: 7/8 Sept.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Should I not agree with White Horse? I'm no fan of the Oriel pitch but I do think it forces players to play on the ground. This is troubling for Irish players who are used to playing long balls as a tactic but overall I don't think it's a bad thing if it means players need to look for the short pass rather than route one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    A really nice tribute by the Dundalk FC players in displaying the banner commemorating the recent passing of fan Marty Shields after the Louth Derby.

3. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    John Mountney summed it up in a tweet.

"Great win tonight. Best of luck to Drogheda in the six nations next year"
    Typical one-sided bull from the home fans. Never seen so many clashes of heads or elbows. But there were just as many infringements from Dundalk players all night long. Dundalk players who are beginning to think they are so-called 'ballers' , were completely stumped and out of ideas of how to break Drogheda down. In the end they were blessed and gifted 3 points by McNally. They never looked like scoring and wether by hoofball or not Drogheda looked most likely all night.

Really don't want to bring it up again but that pitch is atrocious. It's quality is highlighted by the fact that before kick off and at halftime the Dundalk staff water it at only their attacking end, in order to squeeze some advantage out of a more football-like bounce of the ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    The pitch, the pitch, if it wasnt for the pitch Dundalk would be fooked. When we move back to the green green grass, and we water the attacking end i'm sure there wouldnt be a word about it - as for eeking out some home advantage? well perish that thought as that would just be unfair, about as unfair as playing on a short, narrow pitch in Hunky Dozey Park!?!?

A more 'natural' bounce doesnt benefit the defenders one bit either, purely an attacker can take advantage of a ball not taking a bobble............
    Last edited by Nesta99; 09/09/2013 at 8:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMourinho View Post
    Really don't want to bring it up again but that pitch is atrocious. It's quality is highlighted by the fact that before kick off and at halftime the Dundalk staff water it at only their attacking end, in order to squeeze some advantage out of a more football-like bounce of the ball.
    Funny that they watered the same end twice. Once before the match and once after. So Drogheda got the advantage (if there is any) in the first half!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMourinho View Post

They water the pitch so the ball runs quickly when passed on the deck. I've even seen Old Traford and the Emirates watered at half time.

This may sound odd to Drogheda's dwindling number of fans, but the ball doesn't have to be punted 60 years forward in the hope a getting a knockdown. It can be passed from one player to the other on the surface of the pitch.

Try it sometime, people like it, and might start going to your games.

8. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    79 Posts
    Best pitch in the League, FACT

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Never said there was an issue with working the pitch to your advantage lads. That's what being the home team is all about!

But seriously, Drogheda has a small interest in LOI football, but we manage to keep a competitive team on the pitch which is competing for trophies. I'm happy with that. But don't start getting all arrogant about crowds because you are on the crest of a wave. Last year was very different and there is no guarantees that next year will be the same. Anyway a LOI supporter bragging about their good attendance is ridiculous! Any LOI crowd each week is embarrassingly low.

But on the issue of the Drogs being a rugby team, we got two yellow cards yesterday, whereas Dundalk received four yellows and a red. Take the rose tinted spectacles off.

The Drogs play a long ball game and it works for them. But Dundalk are hardly Barca. There were rare occasions where you kept the call on the ground yourself. To be honest I was so surprised by how out of ideas you were. That was also the quietest 3400 crowd I ever heard. Hardly a peep until the 88th minute goal. But I'm sure that was only because the nerves where kicking in from what they were looking at.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Tight game, was looking like a 0-0, we had the slightly better of the chances, but Dundalk took theirs, we didn't, goals win games, etc.

Well done to Dundalk on their win & their season, but what's the story with the nonsense from Dundalk fans on here? Some amount of rhetoric in their good football v evil football fantasy. Both teams ended up going direct yesterday, Pendergast & McNally cleared most of Dundalk's attacks with headers.
    Dundalk were just as direct & physical as Drogheda, they certainly weren't afraid to get stuck in, some games are like that, it's football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Just to make it clear.

Drogheda were excellent last night and should have got a point out of that game. They were the toughest opponents we've faced so far this year. I may not like their style of football, but so what.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Lets not all go sucking each others knobs just yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Hmmm MiniM, read back over the last couple of pages of posts. With the exception of John Mountneys tweet being posted (which was simply amusing) where has there been comment other than Drogs deserved a point. Where has there been any pontificating 'bout crowds? You obviously purchased the programme and took a few cheeky comments to heart - The Spectator may have cast off and caught a MiniMourhino.....

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    No but the general implication that Drogs play an evil style of hoof ball, implies that Dundalk play some sort of beautiful game! Man of the match yesterday was Alan Byrne. He was everywhere but cleared about nine hundred headers from the Drogs half. Headers from long high balls punted in! Think I seen pat hoban saying on twitter that he didn't realise he was playing GAA trying to get the ball down.

Didn't buy a programme,what was in it?? Thought the Dundalk FC tweet error which referred to the Drogs fans as travellers was hilarious!

We are a tough team to break down, but honestly I would worry about the quality of this league if we, this year, are one of the toughest teams to play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Thought Drogs played to their strenghts myself, may not have been pretty, but Alan Byrne did a superb job in the middle, cut off pretty much most of our play. Cooke has done a great job with small resources, yesterday it was clear how they have only lost 2 more games than us so far this season.

Did we deserve to win ? Prob not, but who cares about that at this stage of the season, one Drog fan made a comment above, it was the quietest 3,400 crowd ever, I would prob agree for a lot of the game, you could sense the tension from kick off. Just glad we got the win. Very nervy display though.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

18. Thanks From:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123