Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier Division- The Run In

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Don't think anyone's writing Dundalk off at this stage, but the fact that a manager as psychologically fragile as Buckley or Kenny is going to win the championship just proves that there was no serious quality in the league this season.
    What ?????? Psychologically Fragile ??? Seriously ? You do realise that both managers have won the Title in the past, right ? I'm sorry, but I think you're talking nonsense. As for quality, this Pats team is playing a quality of football as good as I've seen in my time watching this league. Can't speak for Dundalk, as I don't see them regularly, but their record shows they are no mugs. Sligo on their day are still a quality team too. Derry have fallen away, but have been good for most of the season. So it's been a really competitive league this year, not like when Bohs were winning it by 19 points or whatever it was (and that's not knocking that Bohs side, who were comfortably the best around that year.)
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Don't think anyone's writing Dundalk off at this stage, but the fact that a manager as psychologically fragile as Buckley or Kenny is going to win the championship just proves that there was no serious quality in the league this season.
    Interesting you should say that, Buckley and Kenny are 2 of only 3 managers in the league that have actually won the title before. Ian Baraclough being the other one.

I hope RTE don't show our game against Dundalk, that means K.O will be changed to 7.05
    Here on a technicality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    What ?????? Psychologically Fragile ??? Seriously ? You do realise that both managers have won the Title in the past, right ?
    Yeah, I do realise that both managers won titles 10+ years ago (Kenny in the last truncated winter "season", Buckley on Dolan's considerable coat-tails), and have bottled multiple attempts since.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

FORMERLY: City till I Die Aaron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Dundalk 1-0 Drogheda

Stephen O'Donnell

Late in the game too

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Dundalk 1-0 Drogheda

Stephen O'Donnell

Late in the game too
    Futbol24 says 88 min with Dundalk having a man Sent off in the 90 min

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Yep about right, will be a good title race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Yeah, I do realise that both managers won titles 10+ years ago (Kenny in the last truncated winter "season", Buckley on Dolan's considerable coat-tails), and have bottled multiple attempts since.
    Disagree again. The only time since 1999 that Liam Buckley was in with a realistic chance of winning the title was last season. Bottling it would imply that his team were favourites or in a really good position to win it near the end of the season. (For example see Damien Richardson and Shels in 1998 - now that's bottling it.) It would be extremely harsh to characterise Pats last year as bottling it. Even if I was to accept that (which I don't - Pats just came up a bit short last year, that's all. Nothing to do with bottle.) it's still not multiple attempts is it ? And as for Dolans coat tails, yeah the bulk of that squad was brought in by Dolan, but plenty of managers have inherited a successful team, he still had to go and win the title again, and that year was the closest race I can remember. In any other season Cork would have run away with the league. Stephen Kenny likewise has never really had the squad since Bohs, and certainly never got into a position where his team "should" have won it. You can point to last year of course when he had Rovers, but whatever went wrong there I really don't think it was down to "bottle".
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Disagree again. The only time since 1999 that Liam Buckley was in with a realistic chance of winning the title was last season. Bottling it would imply that his team were favourites or in a really good position to win it near the end of the season. (For example see Damien Richardson and Shels in 1998 - now that's bottling it.) It would be extremely harsh to characterise Pats last year as bottling it. Even if I was to accept that (which I don't - Pats just came up a bit short last year, that's all. Nothing to do with bottle.) it's still not multiple attempts is it ? And as for Dolans coat tails, yeah the bulk of that squad was brought in by Dolan, but plenty of managers have inherited a successful team, he still had to go and win the title again, and that year was the closest race I can remember. In any other season Cork would have run away with the league. Stephen Kenny likewise has never really had the squad since Bohs, and certainly never got into a position where his team "should" have won it. You can point to last year of course when he had Rovers, but whatever went wrong there I really don't think it was down to "bottle".
    I totally disagree with that. Many Derry fans including myself feel that our 2006 squad was arguably better than our treble winning squad and despite missing out on the league on goal difference our european run that year was unreal and we felt we probably should have won the league

David Forde
    Patrick Jennings

Eddie McCallion
    Peter Hutton
    Clive Delaney
    Darren Kelly
    Ken Oman
    Mark McChrystal
    Sean Hargan

Kevin Deery
    Barry Molloy
    Ruaidri Higgins
    Shaun Holmes
    Killian Brennan
    Gareth McGlynn
    Paddy McCourt

Kevin McHugh
    Gary Beckett
    Steven O'Flynn
    Mark Farren

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I have to disagree with everything that Sheridan has said. Actually it is totally typical from a Dublin city come Bohs come rovers fan.

Kenny has won a league title with Boh, brought Derry pretty close to a league and probably in 2006 their European adventure cost them the league. An FAI cup and 4 league cups is no mean feat either.

to be honest we have the right man at the helm. he is no bottler and he is a born winner. time will tell if I am right or wrong but we will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season.
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    My gut feeling is that Stephen O'Donnell's late winner has a major bearing on what Dundalk need from the Pats game on 20 Sept. It probably change it from a "must win" into a "must not lose" match.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    I have to disagree with everything that Sheridan has said. Actually it is totally typical from a Dublin city come Bohs come rovers fan.
    That's a huge accusation!

Can't argue with your assessment of Kenny though. He failed at Rovers but there's not a manager in the world who hasn't failed. He's the most successful manager in Ireland right now and if Dundalk don't win the league it will be because they were outplayed on the pitch, not because of anything the manager does wrong.

12. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Anyone who pontificates about 'Managers bottling it' has clearly spent too much time watching Sky and has absorbed the 'sky' b....t.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Pats v Dundalk is confirmed to be on RTE, 7.30 KO.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...-dundalk-live/
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orielabu View Post
    Anyone who pontificates about 'Managers bottling it' has clearly spent too much time watching Sky and has absorbed the 'sky' b....t.
    The reasons why managers fail, or why clubs don't win titles, are many and complex. I doubt it's ever "bottle", whatever that's held to mean.

"Bottle" seems to me to be a pretty useless anglo-celt idea about bravery, which might have some relevance when discussing a player's liking or not for a 50:50 challenge, but says phuq all about managerial qualities.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    farcical to say Kenny bottled it at shams. less than a year and residual problems from previous regime. I believe he has a better points/games ratio than Crolly has this year. Did a more than decent job at Bohs (in sometimes difficult circumstances ) and had excellent records at Longford and Derry.

Also not sure how Buckley can be called a bottler. Last year Pats ran out of steam because they were 1/2 players short of title winning team not due to managerial 'bottle'. Didn't bottle at Dublin City either.

Bit 'Awl arse' to say the league this year is somehow lacking quality ( it was always better in my day ) and Pats or Dundalk ( or AN Other) will be as deserving champions as any other year,

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    People always say this is a particularly bad year for the league. Certainly the first division is described as the worst ever virtually every season.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    People always say this is a particularly bad year for the league.
    Every year is a bad year if your team is not doing well

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    I'm sorry the truth is too harsh for some, but it remains the truth. If you look at Kenny's record, there's a very definite pattern there; he excels at provincial clubs where any media pressure is offset by his ability to inculcate a siege mentality. At high-profile jobs in major population centres, he can't cope with the pressure and it all ends in tears.

As for the quality of the league, there's been an progressive diminution in the general standard over the past five years for basic economic reasons. Nothing controverial or nostalgic about that observation, I would have thought.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    I'm sorry the truth is too harsh for some, but it remains the truth. If you look at Kenny's record, there's a very definite pattern there; he excels at provincial clubs where any media pressure is offset by his ability to inculcate a siege mentality.At high-profile jobs in major population centres, he can't cope with the pressure and it all ends in tears.
    The town of Dundalk hardly fits your definition of "major population centres", but we are going to temporarily evacuate a few thousand people out of Dundalk just to be on the safe side.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    he excels at provincial clubs where any media pressure is offset by his ability to inculcate a siege mentality.
    Since when did Dundalk need someone to inculcate a siege mentality?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast