Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier Division- The Run In

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Pats challenge fell away. Drogheda were never really in the race IMO. Drogheda won their last 2, including a win over sligo (who were clearly celebrating)
    Just about in it, unlikely but not impossible, as we had 2 teams to pass; 1 point behind Pats.
    We got 6 points from the last 9, Pats & Sligo got 3 from their last 9.
    Unlikely we would have caught Sligo, without Pats passing them first, ditto with the way it finished.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I'd prefer a guard of honour...
    you sick, twisted individuals! I'm not sure which would be worse!

Come on Dundalk! Don't make me go through this!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I think this week could be defining.

If Pats can beat Limerick and Drogheda can take a point off Sligo then I'd fancy Pats to push on and beat Dundalk next week.

Guarantee it won't go to plan though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyPats View Post
    If ....Drogheda can take a point off Sligo.
    Done, but I presume you mean Dundalk, that might be a bit more difficult.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Dundalk play Cork at Oriel in the second last game of the season so perhaps you'd prefer to do the guard of honour there......!!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Pats in a very strong position now and they have been the best team I have seen this year. Now, I have not been at a Dundalk match this year and what I have seen of them on tv they also are playing some good stuff, and have beaten the Saints twice in the league, so my judgement could be wrong. Hope to catch a Dundalk game soon. It would be a great achievement by Stephen Kenny if he can guide Dundalk to the title in his first season there. Hope it goes to the last week and keep us entertained while adding to the nerves of fans of both clubs.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Having firmly believed that despite new ownership and a really good manager that Dundalk would struggle, a spot in Europe is amazing, but a league win just a little out of reach. SK has brought in some excellent players and the heads have all come back up to Oriel once the team began to win. 2-3 more seasons like this and Dundalk could be the next Irish side to kick on into the Europa League group stage, I would have tipped Pats to do it, but as much as I like Bucko and his philosophy, I can see Pats winning leagues but not doing as much in Europe. Great end to a great season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Having firmly believed that despite new ownership and a really good manager that Dundalk would struggle, a spot in Europe is amazing, but a league win just a little out of reach.
    I also thought it would be a season where mid table would be a great finish and I admit I spent the first 10 games concentrating more on the teams below us than above us. Apart from the trauma of last year, the main reason was the size of the squad and the lack of centre backs.

Kenny assembled a small squad of versatile players, mostly midfielders who were comfortable on the ball. In recent years we had a lot of injuries and I thought this would decimimate the squad as the season wore on. However, apart from Keith Ward's unfortunate cruciate injury and John Mountney's recent ankle ligament problem, the squad has been largely injury free. A lot of credit most go to the professional approach of Stephen Kenny and his decision to devote a significant part of the weekly budget to fitness coaching.

For the first half of the season, we had one centre half. We were very lucky to get away with this.

The board increased the budget during the season as attendances began to run ahead of projections. Two centre halves were brought in, Brian Gartland and Simon Kelly. Francis McCaffrey and Jordan Keegan were brought in increase attacking options.

Who could have predicted that two virtually unknown players, Richie Towell and Pat Hoban would become two fo the best players in the league?

Dundalk's weaknesses at the start of the season were not exposed and have been fixed. So here we are, seven games to go.

Who will win the league at this stage? The team that wants it the most.
    Last edited by White Horse; 06/09/2013 at 8:31 AM.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Who could have predicted that two virtually unknown players, Richie Towell and Pat Hoban would become two fo the best players in the league?
    Towell was hardly unknown. Plenty of Irish under 21 caps. He played about 30-40 times for Celtic and Hibs
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Derry/Shels called off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poster View Post
    Derry/Shels called off.
    Wrong thread
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Towell was hardly unknown. Plenty of Irish under 21 caps. He played about 30-40 times for Celtic and Hibs
    I agree! Was an incredible signing for Dundalk - when i heard that he was considering a move back to LoI and then linked with us i thought not a hope. I presumed Shams would roll in waving wads of cash around and he would sign for them. (He has said since that he didnt like the sell that Shams were making in that the attitude was winning the league was more or less a formality so he should sign). Pats offered a contract too. Stephen Kenny did an amazing job convincing him join a club that had just finished bottom of the league.

Should add that Kenny saw something in Pat Hoban that others didnt and there were a few groans about signing another Mervue player and it didnt seem to show ambition; when Sheilds was resigned there was just disbelief after last season. Both have been fantastic and why as much as supporters often think they know there is good reason they are standing on a terrace rather than sitting in a dugout.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 07/09/2013 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    I agree! Was an incredible signing for Dundalk - when i heard that he was considering a move back to LoI and then linked with us i thought not a hope. I presumed Shams would roll in waving wads of cash around and he would sign for them. (He has said since that he didnt like the sell that Shams were making in that the attitude was winning the league was more or less a formality so he should sign). Pats offered a contract too. Stephen Kenny did an amazing job convincing him join a club that had just finished bottom of the league.

Should add that Kenny saw something in Pat Hoban that others didnt and there were a few groans about signing another Mervue player and it didnt seem to show ambition; when Sheilds was resigned there was just disbelief after last season. Both have been fantastic and why as much as supporters often think they know there is good reason they are standing on a terrace rather than sitting in a dugout.
    Shams will be in again with that big cheque book nothing surer.
    How could they not win the league with a Ryan/Towell midfield?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    I find it hilarious that we are still being written off with 7 games to go. In reality we are being written off for no apparent reason and the reason given if we do win the league is that if Pats bottle it.

to be fair I know people talk about us finishing bottom last season but that was last season and has absolutely no bearing on how we are doing this season. only 2 players stayed from last year. there has been new owners, a new manager and essentially a squad and from top down the emphasis of the club is to provide SK with the best possible conditions in which to manage and run his team. in this SK has been given total control of the footballing side of things and has been allowed to assemble his squad with absolutely no interference from anyone incl the owners.

when I knew we had hired Kenny as manager I knew we would be nowhere near the bottom and more than likely challenging for a euro spot because of the absolute calibre of manager he actually is. Conversely Sean McCaffrey actually had a higher budget than SK but since SK is a great manager player will play for him on lower money than they would under anyone else.

The Oriel momentum is grabbing focus and supporters are beginning to talk again openly about the town and how well the lads are doing. normally you would hear the odd rumour on the grapevine of some players acting the ******s or some other Oriel Park soap opera story but this year there has been absolute harmony. I have said before that I believe that this is the best Dundalk side I have ever seen even without winning anything at this moment but they are certainly up there with the great sides of 95, 88, 91 (the ones I am old enough to remember)

I don't know if we will win the league this year but if Pats or Sligo do then they will be deserving champions because we will bring it down to the wire.

first things first lets try to get the win over Drogheda
    Long Live King Kenny

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Definitely the best football quality wise I have seen from Dundalk in possibly 25 or 30 years. For anyone around long enough they have the appearance of either the 1990/91 or possibly even the 1981/82 league winning teams. I never rated the 1994/95 winning side, always thought quite fortunate to win it. We may not even win anything this season, however looks odds on for a return to europe, who knows how it will pan out, but the football has been just brilliant to watch.

Whatever about any of that, the most important game so far this season is tomorrow, we have a great chance now, but tonight's slip up by Pats will only be mean anything if we can get 3 pts tomorrow.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    I find it hilarious that we are still being written off with 7 games to go. In reality we are being written off for no apparent reason and the reason given if we do win the league is that if Pats bottle it.
    Who's writing you off? No-one that I've seen. I think it will go right down to the wire. Hoping for a favour from Drogs this evening. Even a draw will keep things as they were, which will do nicely.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Will Pats/Dundalk be televised?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    RTE usually start showing games again when the bogball season is over, and Wikipedia informs me that the Pats/Dundalk game is on the weekend of the final in that, so I'd be surprised. Maybe Setanta might show it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Don't think anyone's writing Dundalk off at this stage, but the fact that a manager as psychologically fragile as Buckley or Kenny is going to win the championship just proves that there was no serious quality in the league this season.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Shams will be in again with that big cheque book nothing surer.
    How could they not win the league with a Ryan/Towell midfield?
    Rovers were in for Towell as the start of the season but he only had eyes for Kenny. I'd imagine he'll go to the England or else hang on at Dundalk.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast