Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Matches 30/31 Aug & 3 Sept

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Bizarre sending off in UCD v Dundalk which mayn't have changed the outcome of the game, but certainly made things more straightforward for Dundalk. Be interesting if anyone can shed any light -

We had a sub lined up for the next stoppage. Mick Leahy went down injured in a challenge; ball came to our keeper, and he threw it out to let attention for Leahy come on. We made the first sub, but as that was being done, Leahy signalled to the bench that he couldn't continue, so Mick Kelly immediately togged out, a second slip of paper was given to the fourth official, Leahy went off, Kelly came on...and was booked for encroaching the field of play. I think the ref deemed that as Dundalk had taken their throw after the first sub, the second sub couldn't take place until the ball went out of play again. Why he couldn't have told Dundalk to wait until the two subs - which were clearly going to happen - had taken place, I don't know. Farcical one way or the other.

Anyways, five minutes later, Kelly got sent off for a (silly) challenge, Dundalk took the lead a few minutes later again and there was no way back for us.
    The ref appeared to allow play to continue before the second sub came on. As the sub came on the pitch during play he deemed it to be a yellow card offence.

Pretty harsh. I'm not an expert on technical rules, could he have exercised a bit of common sense?

If I was Russell, I'd have sympathy for the first yellow but also be pretty annoyed at the player at the committing a professional foul knowing he was already on a yellow. It definitely helped Dundalk as it opened up space at a time when UCD were tiring.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    126 Posts
    'Are you watching Tommy Dunne?'

Great win, best atmosphere and among the most positive performances we've put in all season.

Very pleased to show what we're capable of at last.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    The ref appeared to allow play to continue before the second sub came on. As the sub came on the pitch during play he deemed it to be a yellow card offence.

Pretty harsh. I'm not an expert on technical rules, could he have exercised a bit of common sense?
    Yeah, that's what I figured alright, but we were clearly making two subs given we were signalling to the bench and a second player was getting read to come on. So even if Dundalk took the throw quickly, call them back, make the second sub and get on with the game. Utterly ridiculous refereeing. (And almost as bad was the booking for the Dundalk player for time wasting in the 89th minute. Didn't think he was particularly. And why would you bother at 2-0 up against ten men?).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Well, he did say if...and here's another one. If we win in the Brandywell on Tuesday (and there's no reason why we can't) a lot of the damage from tonight will be undone. There's still a distance to go, so I wouldn't be getting over excited yet. Tonight was frustrating, but Derby games can be like that, as you may well discover next week Anyhow, the 20th of September is looking like it's going to be some night!!
    tony I agree with you which is why I said bring on the drogs which is the next match. I do take delight in people making very early claims that a win tonight and tues will win the league even though there would still be 5 games remaining.

I am not thinking about the 20/09 until we play drogs, then Shels in the cup
    Long Live King Kenny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Yeah, that's what I figured alright, but we were clearly making two subs given we were signalling to the bench and a second player was getting read to come on.
    Also, from what I could see, the fourth official let him enter the field of play.

There was also confusion after the Dundalk yellow for "time wasting" from the throw-in. After being booked, the Dundalk player threw the ball to the UCD player, expecting that it was now a UCD throw in. The ref then wasted more time clearing this up than caused him to caution the Dundalk player in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    390 Posts
    It will be a very bad league if we come anywhere close to winning it the way we've been playing all season. Will be surprised if we pick up 6 points this week.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Now Tony, you know he was being cocky in his comment that he thought Pats 'will win the league' if they won those 2 games. Really strange thing to say with 8 games to go.
    Not really, if Pats won both games they'd have been 4 clear with 7 to go. So he was probaby right to say "If Pats won..."

But they didn't so it doesn't really matter now...
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Not really, if Pats won both games they'd have been 4 clear with 7 to go. So he was probaby right to say "If Pats won..."

But they didn't so it doesn't really matter now...
    Another matchday thread with little or no discussion on the matches played!

Anyway. enjoyable second half in Richmond last night. A very poor Pats crowd and a very brittle Pats defence when Bohs ran at them. Great spirit shown by the Bohs youngsters, if they keep that up we may escape relegation .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    The UCD game was one I was really worried about, I didnt travel down, but speaking to a few who did they were also worried on 60 mins when we hadn't made the breakthrough, delighted to hear the news when Hoban scored then Towell wrapped it up. The news from Richmond was just brilliant, its still only one game, but obviously it was a big lift for us.

Still a lot of football to be played, and Sligo have yet to play this weekend, however it would appear after last nights results, that we should at least make europe now, I cant see Derry catching up with 10 points behind us, never mind Sligo in 3rd.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post
    theres no need for that kind of bull, cop yourself on will ya

and it was not even close to the best atmosphere this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha haha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Bring on the Drogs next week in OP
    You forget to put the part 'nothing is guaranteed' in bold.

Bohs deserved at least a point last night, they were the better team IMO bar 20 minutes in the first half. Heary got his tactics spot on.

We went into last night 1 clear IF (Dundalk fans that's IF) we can win in Derry we go 2 clear, not too bad.
    Here on a technicality.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Whaddya mena 'if'. FFS, the only team that can't win at The Brandywell is Derry City.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Now Tony, you know he was being cocky in his comment that he thought Pats 'will win the league' if they won those 2 games. Really strange thing to say with 8 games to go.
    Yeah,well, that was just, like, an opinion, man

Anyway, gonna be an interesting run in from here. Derry out of it now,and Sligo can't really afford another slip up. I asked the question here a couple of weeks ago was it a two horse race now. Another blip for Sligo and it definitely will be. I think Pats need to win on Tuesday now. Although, even if we don't, there's a fair bit to go. Which I think everyone agrees on.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Big, big win for Blues last night. Looked like it was going to peter out into a scoreless draw that would have given Athlone a 7 point lead and basically handed them the title, but got the win we deserved. Longford had the best of the first half. We were the worst we've been for months, but still had the best chance of the half when Bennion made a superb stop from Furlong. Much better in the second half - Ben Ryan's free in particular was only inches away -but Vinny did the business from about a yard when it was needed. Delighted with that win. Ourselves and Athlone both have four wins in a row now and we haven't conceded in 358 minutes.

Obviously all our hopes rest on us winning in Athlone (like we did in May with ten men) and we probably have to win our other four as well (maybe/maybe not). Athlone's last three are Blues at home, away to Harps and Longford at home which is a stinker of a run-in given how many teams have choked in the First Division in recent years. The odds are stacked in Athlone's favour, but nothing is settled yet.

On another note, Longford need to improve quickly or Mervue could get past them and into the play-offs. I was very impressed with Ryan Connolly last night, but apart from him, they were very poor.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    With Derry in such poor form it should be simple for Pats in the Brandywell and unless the bottle has gone completely they should be back on top of the table on Tuesday night.

The bookies still quote Pats as overwhelming favourites at 8/11 with Paddy Power (Dundalk & Sligo both 10/3).

The winning of the league title is in their own hands for both Dundalk and St Pats as if either win all their remaining matches they will be champions

……………….DUNDALK………...PATS………….…..…SLIGO
    31/08……….............……………...........………..Limerick (H)
    03/09………………………………….Derry (A)………..Drogheda (A)
    07/09……….Drogheda (H)…..Limerick (A)…….Bohs (A)
    20/09……….St Pats (A)……….Dundalk (H)..…UCD (A)
    27/09……….Limerick (H)…….Bray (A)………..…Shels (H)
    04/10……….Derry (H)………...UCD (A)…………..Cork (H)
    12/10……….Bohs (A)………….Sligo (H)………….St Pats (A)
    18/10……….Cork (H)………….Derry (H)………….Drogheda (H)
    25/10……….Bray (A)…………..Cork (A)………….Shamrock Rovers (A)
    Last edited by Ezeikial; 31/08/2013 at 3:33 PM.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adamd164 View Post

Great win, best atmosphere and among the most positive performances we've put in all season.

Very pleased to show what we're capable of at last.

Ashton should be given the job on a permanent basis . You can see how positive his sides are just like he had them with the u19s.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    A relative kick in the teeth to Cobh looking for revenge after cup defeat...Harps stick out a reserve side in the league match tonight.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    Ashton should be given the job on a permanent basis . You can see how positive his sides are just like he had them with the u19s.
    According to this Extra Time interview he can't get the position permanently because he doesn't have a Pro License and there are no courses currently scheduled (unless he goes abroad I suppose). Slightly ridiculous as it means he'll have to step down with 4 games to play unless he gets a special dispensation until the end of the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    3-2 to Cobh at the minute against Harps which makes it 50 goals in 10 and a half games in St Colmans Park this season.

Also Sligo 2-0 Limerick...but nobody really cares.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Full times:

Sligo 2-0 Limerick

Cobh 3-2 Finn Harps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast