Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Friday, 6th September 2013 - World Cup 2014 Qualifier

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Incredible to think Andy has 30 caps - he's pretty unlikely to get any more.

Pretty simple - Trap has often thought of Keogh as an extra wing option. Now he's got McGeady, McClean, Brady and Pilkington - not to mention Walters and Cox to play out there. Moreover he's got a whole bunch of strikers.

That's international football. Just ask Kevin Kilbane, Liam Lawrence, Stephen Ward, Kevin Doyle etc etc.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Tbf, Trap could be gone after the next 2 games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Keogh clarifies his position: https://twitter.com/andykeogh16/stat...44404460007424

Not moaning bout bein left out jus gutted, lot of quality in the squad,maybe after Oman and NY a txt or phone call wud of been courteous !!
    It might have been courteous but he's till too expectant. Trap has given Keogh plenty of time and opportunity; there's absolutely no requirement for him to further phone up or text every player he's ever selected in the past to let them know he's not considering them for selection on this occasion.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I am loath to restart something that has been discussed ad nauseum here, but I really dislike the way that players find out these things under Trap. Not getting a place happens, but its good to let players know why, and how they could get a place back.

Instead, another bridge set on fire, if not totally burned just yet.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I am loath to restart something that has been discussed ad nauseum here, but I really dislike the way that players find out these things under Trap. Not getting a place happens, but its good to let players know why, and how they could get a place back.
    Who else should he have texted/phoned? Keith Treacy? Conor Clifford?

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Tbf, Trap could be gone after the next 2 games?
    He could, but I can't seen another manager giving Keogh too many opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post

Instead, another bridge set on fire, if not totally burned just yet.
    I suspect Trap views this idea with the same kind of incredulous 'this is our job, we're very lucky, we don't have to go down a mine!' style attitude with which he often addresses player gripes.

I'm inclined to agree with you, although how common would it be for an international manager to reach out to dropped players? If Roy Hodgson left out Gareth Barry, say, would he phone him to explain or would he expect the player just to understand that's how things go, and they'll have another look next time?

Game has changed since Trap's time - so many avenues of communication, so many ways to at least just reach out to a player and say 'thanks - but this time you're not there. Next time maybe'. Perhaps that's the modern way now - players are more accustomed to two-way communication and it's not like Trap has to light a candle, grab a quill and scribble an earnest letter. It seems another exhibit in the 'Trap is out of touch' trial.

Still the bottom line is Keogh doesn't deserve to be in the squad and, when it comes to loyalty, Trap has been exceedingly forgiving to a guy who is fairly limited. Bang in a few goals for Millwall and, if he's still out in the cold, have a good old moan then.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    Don't rate Keogh much myself but I don't think it is too much trouble to inform the couple of players who are dropped that they are not in the next squad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,213 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    It might have been courteous but he's till too expectant. Trap has given Keogh plenty of time and opportunity; there's absolutely no requirement for him to further phone up or text every player he's ever selected in the past to let them know he's not considering them for selection on this occasion.
    In fairness to Keogh, he played against Wales this month. Bit different to letting Joe Lapira know that he's not getting in the squad again.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    In fairness to Keogh, he played against Wales this month. Bit different to letting Joe Lapira know that he's not getting in the squad again.
    Ha, well, Lapira would be at the other end of the extreme, but where exactly would this expectation for the provision of explanations to previously-selected players begin and end?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Ha, well, Lapira would be at the other end of the extreme, but where exactly would this expectation for the provision of explanations to previously-selected players begin and end?
    Well, imo, if you were in the last squad you deserve to be told that you're not in the new one by text at least. It'd take an FAI lackey about 10 minutes to make a list of who is now out and to get a group text thing going to just inform those players that they haven't made it but are still in the manager's thoughts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    What does it matter how you find out? You find out when the squad is announced or an hour before in a private phone call? Honestly what is the difference?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Well, imo, if you were in the last squad you deserve to be told that you're not in the new one by text at least.
    Hmm, I suppose that seems like a reasonable cut-off point; if you've not been selected for the current squad after having been selected in the immediate one previous to that.

It'd take an FAI lackey about 10 minutes to make a list of who is now out and to get a group text thing going to just inform those players that they haven't made it but are still in the manager's thoughts.
    Will that be the case though? Why bother filling some players with false hope? And won't players expect a personal explanation from Trap? Will a generic text from an FAI automaton actually satisfy them? Judging the tone of Keogh's original tweet, you'd think he was trying to suggest he was an indispensable member of the squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What does it matter how you find out? You find out when the squad is announced or an hour before in a private phone call? Honestly what is the difference?
    Courtesy, apparently. Although I'm not sure how well Keogh's demand for courtesy stands up in light of his sarcastic tweet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That wasn't a slight on you, doc. I think you are good enough to play in the Premier League, as is Dunne. I mean it's been a long time since we've had this much depth of quality in the position.
    When I read your post it struck me that our EPL standard CBs are in the Championship and that, O'Shea excepted, our championship standard CBs are on the EPL.

I think we've a solid enough bunch of CBs but I think it's fair to say we don't have a top class CB at the top of his game anymore.

Re-goalkeepers I'm happy enough with our options. Forde seems to be inspired by the jersey and brings a presence to aerial situations that we haven't had since Bonner in the late 80s, and is tidy enough all round. Westwood is probably a sharper and more agile shot stopper, but looks lost at crosses lately. Maybe that's lack of matches, but it concerns me.

In Gdansk I watched the 3 keepers in their pre match warm ups very closely. Shay had developed an alarming habit of fisting shots that were straight at him, which he repeated for Spain's second ( or third?) goal. Westwood seemed sharpest at getting down to low stingers and Forde seemed slowest down of the 3.

While I think Forde deserves to keep his spot I'd be very cautious about playing a rusty keeper into these games, so it's great for us that Westwood is starting for Sunderland at the moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    I think Keogh deserved a polite call on the basis that he was with us for the last few games. 'Sorry Richard, but Dunne is back fit, keep playing well' would have done it. I think the same applies to anyone dropped from a squad but not to anyone expecting a call but who hasn't been involved recently.

Effing twitter though. It gives reason to amplify things beyond their actual importance.

Edit: sorry, I thought it was Richard Keogh! Same principle applies though
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/08/2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think Keogh deserved a polite call on the basis that he was with us for the last few games. 'Sorry Richard, but Dunne is back fit, keep playing well' would have done it.
    Jaysis, if Trap was going to entertain players like this, he would at least need to be sure he's texting the right Keogh first! Now you see how problematic such a practice could be.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Footballers these days give off such an aura of entitlement and preciousness... man up FFS!
    Last edited by Grafter; 26/08/2013 at 12:39 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Remember the media stir after Trap did actually text Kevin Doyle to inform him of his omission from the squad for the previous Sweden and Austria games?: http://balls.ie/football/kevin-doyle-text-message/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Most of the meedya that will be reporting on Irish team over next fortnight will be GAA heads/rugger buggers with an axe to grind against the "foreign game" and by god they'll take all that crap out on Trappatoni's management. Its already started and squad haven't convened yet!
    Last edited by Grafter; 26/08/2013 at 8:30 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,689 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grafter View Post
    Footballers these days give off such an aura of entitlement and preciousness... man up FFS!
    the problem is Twitter more than the footballers. It gives an outlet for stream-of-consciousness communication and now the media will be all over this as if its some sort of disaster. "Footballer a bit upset but not that much really" is the story here.

Edit: just saw that he was only a late replacement for Wales squad so Keogh must have guessed his place was precarious, in which case he probably is being a bit precious. Then again, as I say, Twitter amplifies things out of all proportion especially when it gives the Irish sports media a reason to take a swipe at our football team.

Some of the comments under the RTE story make foot.ie look like an elite university debating society.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 26/08/2013 at 1:20 PM.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast