Thread: Series 25 & 22

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    4-2 away from home with 9 men.

Crumbling.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wonder88 View Post
    Do Limerick regret not even considering Roddy Collins for their managers job ?
    Nine points from the bottom with the next four games against Sligo, Pats, Shams, and Dundalk.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Also the decision by the Shamrock R club to sack Kenny is looking more stupid as the season goes on.
    When Stephen Kenny was sacked by Rovers the club had 40 points from 24 league games (average 1.67 per match) after losing to Bohs. Now after another Bohs defeat, Trevor Croly's team have 36 points from 25 league games (average 1.44 per match). Is Hoops supporter still relating to the "potential" of Croly?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by atfconline View Post
    4-2 away from home with 9 men.

Crumbling.
    I've never liked him, I still don't, but he's a good man manager and gets the maximum out of his players if they work with him. It's very admirable what he's done with Athlone this year. Just don't let him influence budgetary decisions.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I would, if I had the power, never let that man anywhere near the club. I'd have Scully back first.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Nine points from the bottom with the next four games against Sligo, Pats, Shams, and Dundalk.
    All very winnable especially the Dundalk game.

I predict 8 points and 21 goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    98 Posts
    That was the one game i was worried about. Mervue are a good side but for us to win away from home with 9 men (majority of the game with 10) is brilliant. Ref was absolutely shocking and as for yer man who went down for 5 mins after being stroked if anything by skinner. Main thing is 3 points in the bag. Ours to lose
    Athlone Town AFC 1887-2017

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Also the decision by the Shamrock R club to sack Kenny is looking more stupid as the season goes on. As an outsider it seem to me that a certain number of the players he had last season did not want to play for him. But due to the nature of transfer system we have now (and small pool of players available for a LoI manager) his hands were tied until the end of the year.
    Regret far more the fact we had a chance of getting Kenny.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Just when fans thought we couldn't get much worse, tonight happens...

We were AWFUL. Resounding boos at FT, not something I condone but understandable given how completely muck we were - and we've been muck at home for sometime.

Devine's coming under a bit of pressure now. Perception is shifting from perceiving the current form as a dip to seeing the initial run of results as punching above our weight.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post

We were AWFUL. Resounding boos at FT, not something I condone but understandable given how completely muck we were - and we've been muck at home for sometime.

Devine's coming under a bit of pressure now. Perception is shifting from perceiving the current form as a dip to seeing the initial run of results as punching above our weight.
    Yous were very impressive against a good Tranzonspor side. I'd put it down to too many games rather than lack of quality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post

was it worth owing us compo for griffin then...looks like we got a better deal in signing hoban as his replacement!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Harps league campaign over in August. Disappointing to say the least. Waterford are the best side I've seen this season in Finn Park however. Harps certainly deserved something from the game but it wasn't to be. Waterford will easily dispatch of Longford in the play-off.

I guess we'll just have to settle for a cup win up here....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Athlone had a good crowd supporting them in Mervue last night. How realistic is an average home gate of say 1500 in the Prem Div if they go up ? and would this allow them to say match the likes of Cork, Limerick, Drogheda in terms of the wages the can pay players? Maybe the new fans Athlone have are just following a winning side and would stay away if results were less impressive than they are now (which is likely)

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Athlone had a good crowd supporting them in Mervue last night. How realistic is an average home gate of say 1500 in the Prem Div if they go up ? and would this allow them to say match the likes of Cork, Limerick, Drogheda in terms of the wages the can pay players? Maybe the new fans Athlone have are just following a winning side and would stay away if results were less impressive than they are now (which is likely)
    Their attendance will depend entirely on their results. If promoted but then start pulling a Monaghan like Roddy's last foray into the top tier, they'll plummet. If they are more like Limerick they'll find a stable high three figure of regulars.
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 17/08/2013 at 1:06 PM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    That about sums it up. We are now paying for the intensity of pre season training which allowed us to physically dominate teams in the forst round. Reaping the harvest now with injuries all over the place. Having said that, if we had equalised in the first half, I wonder what would have happened. Dundalk are what any Stephen Kenny team will be, confident and well organised. We have lost four league games this season and three of them have been to the two teams above us so we are where we should be in the league. Don't think Dundalk will catch Pats though unless any of Browne/Kenna/Russell get injured.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Rovers should really have hammered bohs last night , but croly has the team set up to defend. needs to learn fast or he'll be out of a job.

not great from bohs fans giving zayed racist abuse after the game was over.no need for that kind of mornic behaviour.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Having said that, if we had equalised in the first half, I wonder what would have happened.
    Goals change games and Sligo certainly dominated in the later part of the first half .

Stephen Kenny's introduction of Chris Shields for John Dillon was the main 2nd half game changer (Shields has been outstanding over the last 4 games). Dundalk dominated the second half and thoroughly deserved the victory

Don't think Dundalk will catch Pats though unless any of Browne/Kenna/Russell get injured.
    Pundits, supporters, and the bookies have consistently been dismissing Dundalks chances, with Paddy Power even quoting Dundalk as 3rd favourites behind Pats and Sligo this morning.

Pats are in the driving seat, but Dundalk are relentlessly in pursuit taking 19 from 21 points since the start of July

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    http://www.thejournal.ie/arrests-foo...41578-Aug2013/

Two teens arrested in Dublin brawl between football fans
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    That about sums it up. We are now paying for the intensity of pre season training which allowed us to physically dominate teams in the forst round.
    Dundalk were noticeably the fitter team as the game wore on. I was surprised to see Sligo fading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Pats are in the driving seat, but Dundalk are relentlessly in pursuit taking 19 from 21 points since the start of July
    Two horse race now do you think ? Or is it too early to write off Sligo and/or Derry ? Fantastic run of results from Dundalk btw. I must confess I've been one of those who kinda expected them to falter eventually, but it looks like they're in it for the duration now. September 20 at Richmond is shaping up to be quite a game.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast