Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Final series of First Division games.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Nearly did in fairness. It all feels a bit of a waste of time because I can't see any way that any of the three FD teams beats the PD team over two legs. I didn't get the feeling anyone in our club thinks we're going up, on the field anyway.
    I have seen Shels three times over the last few months and they get worse everytime I see them.. I have heard that they will be gone if they get relegated.. If somehow we beat Waterford /Mervue in the playoffs I really fancy us against shels.. Shels will have no idea of how to deal with Sully!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    For anyone that may be interested, a video of Kevin McHughs penalty against Athlone the other night.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    I have seen Shels three times over the last few months and they get worse everytime I see them.. I have heard that they will be gone if they get relegated.. If somehow we beat Waterford /Mervue in the playoffs I really fancy us against shels.. Shels will have no idea of how to deal with Sully!
    They are going amateur next year according to the papers. I'm very worried that the players are taking a play off place for granted ahead of this weekend, no point in them thinking ahead to Waterford, mervue, Shels or anyone else they have to do the business this weekend, simples.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Trust me, Shels will beat anything that's thrown at tem from First Div play off.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I agree with Outspoken I heard Gary Shaw on Shannon side radio, sure sounds like he thinks he is in the playoffs, I love to hear a bit of confidence from the squad but you should never take anything for granted before it happens,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    I don't think it makes any difference which FD team gets through to play Shels or Bray. The gap in standards between the FD and PD, combined with the unfair advantage the PD club gets from the way the playoffs are structured, makes it very unlikely a FD team will win.

If I was betting, I think Mervue will make the playoff final, although clearly I hope I'm wrong. Longford are doing their annual end of season implosion thing, so I think it'll be Mervue v Waterford in the FD playoff, and Mervue have a genuine hex over us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gormacha View Post
    I don't think it makes any difference which FD team gets through to play Shels or Bray. The gap in standards between the FD and PD, combined with the unfair advantage the PD club gets from the way the playoffs are structured, makes it very unlikely a FD team will win.

If I was betting, I think Mervue will make the playoff final, although clearly I hope I'm wrong. Longford are doing their annual end of season implosion thing, so I think it'll be Mervue v Waterford in the FD playoff, and Mervue have a genuine hex over us.
    What's the advantage?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Sure ye played an illegal player in last years playoff.........

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Mervue have a Hex on most teams because they play good football (at least they do when I've watched them)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nah Nah Nah Nah View Post
    Sure ye played an illegal player in last years playoff.........
    Karma has come back to bite us now!!

It was a genuine question though I'm not sure what the advantage to PD clubs is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    Mervue have a Hex on most teams because they play good football (at least they do when I've watched them)
    Mervue? Really? They play muck football. They're just ridiculously hard to break down on a tight pitch in Fahys Field.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Karma has come back to bite us now!!

It was a genuine question though I'm not sure what the advantage to PD clubs is.
    The FD teams have to win a two-leg tie leading into the playoff, whereas the PD club might not have any meaningful fixtures, depending on the table.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Very interesting piece with the Mervue manager in last weeks Tribune here in Galway. Something I did not know is that they got 3 young players who Athlone let go. Also he is of the opinion that the 1st divison should be a sort of development league or mostly made up of development clubs. These clubs would take on the discarded players from the various u-19's squads who fail to make it on to the 1st team squads. He gives the example of Shamrock R and Cork who have had good u-19 teams in recent years but very few of those players have progressed at those clubs (Morrissey noted). For him it is important there is a club close by so that those discarded players can go and further improve, he cites Cobh Ramblers for Cork for example, but there is no 1st divison (development club) in Dublin. I think Bohs took a player from Shamrock R and I suppose Roddy picked up a few dubs who had nowhere to go after the u-19s but I think he has a valid point.
    He also states that Galway can field two clubs in the LoI, something that I myself is also convinced of while accepting that Mervue will never be able to build a fanbase. For this reason I think that the Galway FC/one team in Galway project could well do further damage to LoI soccer in the west rather than solve the problems that exist now.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think the effect on the Cork team might have been exaggerated by Cobh coming to the league so late and needing a quick reservoir of players. I suspect next season they might have more experienced players as they'll have the same opportunities as other clubs to sign up players. The valve for Shamrock Rovers U19s in recent seasons seems to be Longford, though you'd put much of that down to the Tony Cousins link, though there have also been players going up to Dundalk and a couple to Bohemians too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    well I didn't see Mervue much this season, except when they played Longford in the last 2 home and away fixtures, and even allowing for Longford not turning up, they played us off the pitch in City Calling, and it wasn't much better for us in Fahy's field either apart from only 1 nil there.
    so I will bow to your knowledge of them, but as the results show they aren't that far off the top of division 1 and may well end up in the premiership yet, no offence to Waterford but if Longford are lucky enough to get to the playoffs I hope it's against them and not Mervue,
    makes me think of the old chinese saying be careful what you wish for, but I think it's 50/50 who would win between Waterford and Longford, I would have 70/30 Mervue against Longford
    If Cousins put out a team to play some football instead of hoofing it all night long I believe Longford will beat Athlone on Saturday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I think the effect on the Cork team might have been exaggerated by Cobh coming to the league so late and needing a quick reservoir of players. I suspect next season they might have more experienced players as they'll have the same opportunities as other clubs to sign up players. The valve for Shamrock Rovers U19s in recent seasons seems to be Longford, though you'd put much of that down to the Tony Cousins link, though there have also been players going up to Dundalk and a couple to Bohemians too.
    Craig Burns and Daniel Santry are the only recent U19s from Cork City currently at Cobh. Rob Waters is there too but its a long time since he played for any City side. Burns himself left a few years back and has played for Waterford and sorta played for Limerick since.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Cobh had a very strong U19 set up of their own before their senior return. They didn't need to raid Cork, although obvious there will always be crossover when clubs are close together.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    no offence to Waterford but if Longford are lucky enough to get to the playoffs I hope it's against them and not Mervue
    None taken, after some of the hidings we've gotten from Mervue in recent years the feeling is mutual!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    The FD teams have to win a two-leg tie leading into the playoff, whereas the PD club might not have any meaningful fixtures, depending on the table.
    Would it not be a bigger disadvantage if the FD team didn't have a competitive game for 3 weeks before a playoff?

The FD team that gets to the FD/PD playoff is at no disadvantage IMO.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Would it not be a bigger disadvantage if the FD team didn't have a competitive game for 3 weeks before a playoff?

The FD team that gets to the FD/PD playoff is at no disadvantage IMO.
    Well, they're at a clear disadvantage insofar as they're all crap.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

21. Thanks From:

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast