Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Training to Game Time Ratio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts

Training to Game Time Ratio

Folks, does anyone know of anything out there that coaches can use to record players attending training and games, and to help work out how much time any one player is entitled to play (for example squad of 20 and only one game a week) ..... Just need something to divide up game time evenly, but if a player misses training then he would be entitled to less game time. Hope i've explained that correctly. Any ideas?

The whole idea with this is to avoid parents coming up giving lads grief because Brian got 10 mins more game time than Greg, not quite that bad but close .... its just something where they can record time players spend training and in games and ensure that all players are getting whats entitled to them.
    Last edited by A face; 06/08/2013 at 11:01 PM.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Im not being funny but a simple excel sheet is probably your best bet.

I know some of the coaches in our academy do that.

You've a panel of sixteen and what sixteen games to play them over...

You just rotate the sixteen. Lad misses a session without a good excuse he drops back to the bottom of the rotation.

Keeping records like that is good for your youth cert anyway afaik.

EDIT: Just saw youve a panel of 20, your panels too big! If youve twenty players at an age group enter an A and a B team and get a half dozen of the A's from the age group below to play up in your B team.
    Last edited by Lim till i die; 06/08/2013 at 11:20 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    EDIT: Just saw youve a panel of 20, your panels too big! If youve twenty players at an age group enter an A and a B team and get a half dozen of the A's from the age group below to play up in your B team.
    Thats the thing though, there was sixteen or so last year and they were still getting parents chipping in. They tried to keep it fair but it was kind of guesstimate stuff. There is no room below and the U14s have 5-6 dropping down to U13s because that's their age group, parents worried about them playing against older/bigger lads. They have asked other clubs do they have room for them as well and nothing came of it. They basically want to try and keep it fair as possible and parents will be happy if everyone is getting the same game time.
    The SFAI are the governing body for grassroots football in Ireland, not the FAI. Its success or the lack of is all down to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts
    God I hate parents

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Thats the thing though, there was sixteen or so last year and they were still getting parents chipping in. They tried to keep it fair but it was kind of guesstimate stuff. There is no room below and the U14s have 5-6 dropping down to U13s because that's their age group, parents worried about them playing against older/bigger lads. They have asked other clubs do they have room for them as well and nothing came of it. They basically want to try and keep it fair as possible and parents will be happy if everyone is getting the same game time.
    I've always said playing against older/bigger lads will do them no harm, I know parents are worried they'll get hurt but thats football. They will take a few hammerings throughout the season but the experience they pick up is invaluable. My sister played for the only girls team in Longford a few years ago so they had no option but to play in an all boys league and it turned an already very good footballer into a fantastic player. She went onto represent the first Longford Town girls team to win a national cup and scored the winner in the final and had trials with Ireland before the evil GAH took over her life Just my 2 cents on it anyway.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    I've always said playing against older/bigger lads will do them no harm, I know parents are worried they'll get hurt but thats football. They will take a few hammerings throughout the season but the experience they pick up is invaluable.
    There are 23 of them in the squad now

Thing is with this team, they went up a division last year and were getting hammered at the start of the season, they started to do well towards the end but the wind was out of their sails by then. They've learned a lot from it but the lads have their work cut out for them now with that size squad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Greg's parents sound like a right pair of wagons. A convoy, if you will.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Have been a manager myself- so here's my twopennece worth.

(1) At the start of the season explain in detail to parents your plan to rotate so that ALL players get equal playing time

(2) As mentioned use a spreadsheet to record each match and who got what amount of playing time

(3) The hardest part!!

With a a squad of 23 most likely you have approx 5/6 lads that could automatically picked each week , then approx 12/14 more average players and finally 3/5 players that are most likely really enthusiastic but not great
    Never ever find yourself in the position where one of the weaker players is scheduled to play or come on as a sub but you are chasing a result and you know brinigi ng him on will cost you the game , so you bottle it and tell him something like " I'll give you more time next week but won't play you today" - that's the sort of crap that destroyes kids

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Calcio Jack View Post
    Never ever find yourself in the position where one of the weaker players is scheduled to play or come on as a sub but you are chasing a result and you know brinigi ng him on will cost you the game , so you bottle it and tell him something like " I'll give you more time next week but won't play you today" - that's the sort of crap that destroyes kids
    Totally agree it's the worst thing you can do to a young child.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    196 Posts
    This is a work in progress lads so you might need to tinker around with it. Should be useful though.

http://speedy.sh/HXCUK/Sample-Data-updated-sumif.xlsx

On that webpage just right click on "Sample-Data updated sumif.xlsx" and click Save Link As or just click on this link -> "Sample-Data updated sumif.xlsx"
    Last edited by A face; 22/08/2013 at 8:34 AM.