Thread: MNS tonight

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Where has Stuey Byrne gone?
    He's on Off The Ball a fair bit now, both their LoI stuff and also the (anything but LoI) Football Show.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    Approved or not, still played poor imo (and looks like someone threw the remains of a tyre fire on it). In fainress Im not really having a go, as I said Clubs do what they have to it.

I like to spend my half-times having a pint too, no away fans allowed in the bar tho.
    I read this all the time about the pitch and I just don't see it myself. I go to Oriel every 2nd week or so and then to every other league ground in between and I don't see how Oriel "plays poorly" to any of the grass surfaces. I don't remember one incident in the Sligo game that could be attributed to the pitch or any other game in Oriel this season for that matter.

At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now but there are still plenty in the league with permanent slopes and bumps but are not mentioned nearly as much as Oriel.

I should point out that I'm neither for or against the pitch, it doesn't bother me and it's no advantage.

Anyway my original point is that I just don't see what people are giving out about, it's flat how can you not play football on it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now but there are still plenty in the league with permanent slopes and bumps but are not mentioned nearly as much as Oriel.
    Would be my major argument against summer football. Pitches are awful for half the season. Oriel has a massive advantage in this respect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Would be my major argument against summer football. Pitches are awful for half the season. Oriel has a massive advantage in this respect.
    I don't agree, in a simplistic view you are getting drier weather in the summer. It's a lot easier to water a pitch than to keep rain (that you would expect more of in winter) off it . Or am I missing your point?

Also I should add, does that not make Oriel a good pitch? While some grass pitches are dry and bumpy at the beginning of the season, Oriel is consistently flat and level?
    Last edited by mcgonigle; 22/08/2013 at 2:47 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    The only thing wrong with the pitch in Oriel is that they appear to only have a water tap at one end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I don't agree, in a simplistic view you are getting drier weather in the summer. It's a lot easier to water a pitch than to keep rain (that you would expect more of in winter) off it . Or am I missing your point?

Also I should add, does that not make Oriel a good pitch? While some grass pitches are dry and bumpy at the beginning of the season, Oriel is consistently flat and level?
    You've sort of answered your own question.

Pitches get no growing time over winter, so they're never ready for the start of the season.

In a winter season, there's a whole summer to prepare the pitch for both the start of the season and for the harsh winter ahead.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    The pitch at Mervue looked good last friday, and it must also be said that the surface at Salthill Devon is usually in good condition as well. Thats why I am against throwing them two clubs out of the league; I just want a place for a team that the supporters of the former Galway Rovers/Uuited can call their own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    At the start of the season some of the grass pitches in the league were a disgrace and shouldn't have been allowed to host games. They are improving now
    you do remember that there was virtually no spring this year? The news being awash with stories of farmers buying feed for animals due to their being no grass growth? where oil companies ran out of heating oil in March? Any of that ring a bell???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    You must not remember the "winter" seasons then. Pitches were basically awful muck heaps from December to April. I think they're much better now. And as mentioned, it's much easier to water a dry pitch (unless you're Shels obviously) then try to rectify a waterlogged one, or a frozen one.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    redobit you sound a bit bitter. Have you played on the pitch in Oriel to judge it? As for watering it on one end. Wasn't the end Manchester Utd pleyed into in the second half watered during Alex Fergusons reign? Sure Sligo could do it too. It makes the pitch faster when watered (on a dryish surface already). Although with Sligo, I don't think the players would be fit enough to take advantage of a faster pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by galwayhoop View Post
    you do remember that there was virtually no spring this year? The news being awash with stories of farmers buying feed for animals due to their being no grass growth? where oil companies ran out of heating oil in March? Any of that ring a bell???
    But is all this not a plus for an artificial pitch. While it was near impossible to play on some grass pitches Oriel was consistent. Also nigel-harps point about needing time to prepare a pitch doesn't apply to Oriel. Anyway I didn't particularly want to get into a long discussion on the pros and cons of the Oriel pitch I just wanted to point out that I don't see the "plays poorly" that others do and I see it a lot.

And Sligo fans will be delighted to know that both halves of the pitch were watered tonight!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    You must not remember the "winter" seasons then. Pitches were basically awful muck heaps from December to April. I think they're much better now. And as mentioned, it's much easier to water a dry pitch (unless you're Shels obviously) then try to rectify a waterlogged one, or a frozen one.
    I remember Harps pitch was always in much better condition in those days after a full summer of growing.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    I see Stephen Bradley was a sub for limerick v Dundalk last night, would he not be considered one of the "top quality players" in the LoI ? He would be another who would fit the journeyman tag and will likely sign for Crolly next season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Why was the actor in the Lockout piece this week doing an impression of Nidge from Love/Hate?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Has Alan Cawley been involved in some disastrous experiment to recreate Cunny Kenninghams' eyebrows?
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes for his friends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Speaking of Alan Cawley, just what on earth was 'she' wearing last night, the state of his jacket/shirt.

Ps for the 2nd or 3rd week, I just loved the point the presenter made, something along the lines of 'And Dundalk REALLY are firmly in the title race, thats for sure' (with the little look to camera)
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    874 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Speaking of Alan Cawley, just what on earth was 'she' wearing last night, the state of his jacket/shirt.
    Maybe they're his favourite so they are!

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Amazed at the standard of referring in the LOI, wow. Is their some internal ref competition to see who gets mentioned the most on MNS?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    231 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Amazed at the standard of referring in the LOI, wow. Is their some internal ref competition to see who gets mentioned the most on MNS?
    The red card in the UCD game really was disgraceful. Didn't even think the second challenge was a yellow, nevermind the crazy decision for the first.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Pah, you should try figure out what goes though the minds of first division refs and get back to me.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast