Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast

Thread: FAI Invites First Division Expressions of Interest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Don't you just love Fran Gavin's "following receipt of a number of expressions of interest"!

Tarmonbarry ... and who else?

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    I think Carlow are considering coming in but were not ready this year.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...i-application/

Plenty of carping about another Dublin club in the league. But we desperately need at least an 8th team plus a third of the league teams coming from Dublin when Dublin has about a third of the population hardly seems massively disproportionate. But at this stage I think a lot of the giving out is just a reflex with no actual thought involved.
    In fairness Fingal is the biggest populated part of Dublin with no club (anymore), If Sporting Fingal had stayed amateur and built a small football stadium in Fingal they could have been sustainable but no they spent money on wages and had no legacy. A 500 seater main stand and two little 250 seat stand behind each goal, one for vocal home fans and one for away fan's. Might only have been a average first division club but better than bust and might have had a good year every now and then.
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I don't think anybody's booed Cabinteely - in fact, I think the response has been overwhelmingly completely positive towards them.

Easily was probably an exaggeration on my part but you said they "should" be bringing in 500, even if if you're saying it would take a few years, without any real argument for why beyond them having a good underage set-up.
    Charlie, I can live with my words being twisted, it's practice in foot.ie, but come on, it's not been supportive of the new club. I do, in one sense, understand the tribalism, but we should be happy with clubs aspiring to join, we should be forcing our own clubs to do more to open up the league, and while we all criticise the FAI, it is our own clubs who voted again and again to allow the national association run our top senior leagues.

And I'm not having a go at you, I know that there are many on here who will head out to Stradbrook just to take a look for the sake of the game, and I just hope our meeja get on board with this and start giving our league some support.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    In fairness Fingal is the biggest populated part of Dublin with no club (anymore), If Sporting Fingal had stayed amateur and built a small football stadium in Fingal they could have been sustainable but no they spent money on wages and had no legacy. A 500 seater main stand and two little 250 seat stand behind each goal, one for vocal home fans and one for away fan's. Might only have been a average first division club but better than bust and might have had a good year every now and then.
    Not fair on Fingal. They Sporting Fingal, they were doing good work in the community, they were developing younger age groups and in the process of getting a small ground together (in Lusk if I remember right), and they had no choice in the end. The council pulled the plug completely for political expediency and cowardice - even when the club had backers coming in and no debts.

Fingal is not covered, but it's a spread out area - you could have a LOI club out in Blanch (lots of good players from there - Fabio for one), one in Malahide, but further north and you're running into Drogheda. Brings into focus a need for franchising.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Charlie, I can live with my words being twisted, it's practice in foot.ie, but come on, it's not been supportive of the new club. I do, in one sense, understand the tribalism, but we should be happy with clubs aspiring to join, we should be forcing our own clubs to do more to open up the league, and while we all criticise the FAI, it is our own clubs who voted again and again to allow the national association run our top senior leagues.

And I'm not having a go at you, I know that there are many on here who will head out to Stradbrook just to take a look for the sake of the game, and I just hope our meeja get on board with this and start giving our league some support.
    What's not been supportive? Some people have questioned how wise it is (completely valid) but I'd wager a good chunk of people here will put their money where their mouths are and buy tickets. Clubs don't run on well-wishes and having smoke blown up their holes on message boards.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Cabinteely in for the long haul: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...medium=twitter

An a separate point- 7/20 clubs in the Greater Dublin area = 35%. For an area that has 39% of the population that is not over representation like many people seem to think.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    Would of rathered a team from outside of Dublin myself, be hard for them to drum up any kind of fan base when you consider anyone from the area with any interest in loi football probably already support one of the Dublin clubs.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Cabinteely in for the long haul: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish...medium=twitter

An a separate point- 7/20 clubs in the Greater Dublin area = 35%. For an area that has 39% of the population that is not over representation like many people seem to think.
    Its 39% of the population overall of which a tiny percentage is then shared among the 7 Dublin clubs in actual league attendance. The math in simplicity is of course correct but arguably a town like Sligo will get better crowds that the Dublin clubs while being about 0.4% of the national population. Having said that as another Dublin based club goes I feel Cabinteely have a better chance than UCD to build a fan base even though UCD are well established. The growth of League of Ireland attendance nationwide if done correctly and supported by the FAI would likely be more in a one club provincial town/city than in Dublin irrespective of population. Even those who rarely attend games have probably alligned themselves to Dublins more successful and still in existance traditional 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    But you well know Nesta, there's a few areas in Dublin that don't have direct bus routes to games. A huge stumbling block for some.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    But you well know Nesta, there's a few areas in Dublin that don't have direct bus routes to games. A huge stumbling block for some.
    A moot point since the invention of the personal spaceship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Aye but sure there are a few clubs that could be playing on the moon and get better crowds

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I use my personal transporter

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    If barstoolers had those, they still wouldn't get off the bloody things!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Commiserations to Cabinteely on the step down from the LSL to the basket case farce of the League of Ireland First Division :/

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluemovie View Post
    Commiserations to Cabinteely on the step down from the LSL to the basket case farce of the League of Ireland First Division :/
    They weren't in the LSL.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    They weren't in the LSL.
    used to though didnt they?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    used to though didnt they?
    Think they left LSL 2 years ago.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yes, they have an LFL team now, much lower standard but presumably a lot cheaper to run.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2533343536 LastLast