Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wexford Youths

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts

Wexford Youths

Biggest game of the season where we have to at least match Athlones result. Many going down? I'll be there with bells on....hopefully it won't be a long journey home for me!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    Massive game, next two games are vital. Hopefully a big crowd travel down for the game and cheers on the lads.. Hoping we get back on track, would take a nervy 2-1 win now..

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    I called a big Mervue win last time out and I'm calling a draw this time. Wexford are a tough team to break down at home as we saw last time so can only see 1 result and thats a draw.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Absolutely huge game. Wexford are in poor form themselves so there will be absolutely no excuses for a poor result down there.

From what I hear the bus is nearly full and theres a few people driving down both from Dublin and Longford so should be a decent enough crowd down there, really looking forward to it!
    If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    They've lost 5 games in a row and they've been muck in all of them, if we don't win it will say everything about our end of season form. Saying that I still expect a very tough game. Wexford are well known for defending with 2 banks of 4 so we really need some players other than sully to step up because he will be hounded by defenders like he is every week.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Wexford were chronic the last time I saw them in Longford but that was before our slump. Just go out and attack from the start and hopefully we can get back on track. A clean sheet would be welcome. We've kept three in the league all season which is dire for a promotion seeking team.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    I reckon it will be 4, 5 , 1 for De Town, nil all at half time and De town subs to make a difference, I don't care how they do it as long as they do it, 1 nil De town no more giving away penalties

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Traffic is MENTAL on N11 leave early if coming from Dublin

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Just landed. Thank god I left early. Bank holiday traffic was desperate on the way down. 3 points please

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    At least we kept a clean sheet. Wexford were the better team. Time Our chairman had a serious look at relieving our manager of his duties. He's not up to it, 2 years in a row bottling it. Once is bad but if 2 years in a row you have to look at the manager. We didn't look like scoring tonight. Now for the long drive home.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'm not a fan of TC either at present but to be honest he's not going to be sacked. He's supposed to have said before the start of the season that if we didn't get promoted he wouldn't expect to be kept on. I wouldn't imagine he would be either but I think he'll get his shot at getting up all the same. I'm pretty much resigned to yet another year in the First personally. I just hope there's a way of keeping hold of the likes of Davy and Salmo if he gets back fit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    At least we kept a clean sheet. Wexford were the better team. Time Our chairman had a serious look at relieving our manager of his duties. He's not up to it, 2 years in a row bottling it. Once is bad but if 2 years in a row you have to look at the manager. We didn't look like scoring tonight. Now for the long drive home.

Cos that's the obvious thing to do when you're 2 points behind the leaders with 8 games to go

We had a (mostly) very experienced team out there tonight and they failed to produce against a team of kids. TC can only do so much from the sideline.

Too many players aren't performing and we've been too reliant on the one player all season. Purdy has done his time on the bench and probably deserves a recall, yet let's not forget that he had more than a few quiet games as well before his dropping.

TC has added few faces to freshen up things so he has acted to stop the slump, the players are the ones who need to get the finger out

Fair play to the Wexford Youths' twitter for their regular updates whilst tumbleweed rolled through LTFC's twitter and Extratime.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Yeah lots of experience all right but no end product I thought Gillispie was pretty poor, the new guy Ryan was lively all night great work rate, badly missing a play maker passing was average we gave the ball away to many times,
    but at least most of the team kept going until the end
    the highlight for me was Willie Tyrells tackle inside the box in the 2nd half absolutely brilliant take a bow young man

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post
    Cos that's the obvious thing to do when you're 2 points behind the leaders with 8 games to go

We had a (mostly) very experienced team out there tonight and they failed to produce against a team of kids. TC can only do so much from the sideline.

Too many players aren't performing and we've been too reliant on the one player all season. Purdy has done his time on the bench and probably deserves a recall, yet let's not forget that he had more than a few quiet games as well before his dropping.

TC has added few faces to freshen up things so he has acted to stop the slump, the players are the ones who need to get the finger out

Fair play to the Wexford Youths' twitter for their regular updates whilst tumbleweed rolled through LTFC's twitter and Extratime.
    It's not just about personnel though. I wasn't there tonight obviously but the question remains as to why the team doesn't at least equal the sum of its parts? Why are we so reliant on Davy?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Really not seeing where people are going with Wexford being the better team. I thought we were well on top, but lacked the final ball. Not the result we wanted, or maybe needed, but it was much improved performance from last Saturday's debacle.

An over subdued reaction to the final whistle as well imo - as though we'd lost again. Saturday obviously massive for us - they've the big mo at the moment which we need to put a halt too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    rumoured that tony cousins has been sacked with Pat Scully taking over for the remainder of the sseason?? Any truth in it??
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Final ball = play maker, also how fit did new guy ryan look sligo obviously train better than De town do maybe couch should ask him how is he so fit when our lads aren't

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    818 Posts
    First half we were lucky not to go in behind. Sully had a chance in the first 20 seconds but after that Wexford really should have gone in ahead especially after Bennion dropped a ball straight at the number 4's feet but he blasted over.

Second half we had a very early chance again when havo (who was decent on his return) went on a run down the right before cutting a great ball back to Connolly but their keeper made a good save. Youths had probably 1 chance in the entire 2nd half when as said above Willie Tyrell made a world class tackle inside his own area. We had all the possession but it doesn't help when players like Gillespie are giving it away just as space is starting to develop. We didnt do enough to win the game so a draw was a fair result. Nice to see the players come over and acknowledge the fans after the game as a large and loud support traveled so that was good to see.

My big disappointment last night was when TC brought on Gavin Doyle and played him up front? Naturally being a defensive midfielder Doyle started to drop deeper and deeper away from Sully and before we knew it there was a 30 yard gap between midfield and sully. What is he playing at with Shaw on the bench? Surely in a situation like that Shaw is the perfect Player to bring on? Was Ebbe on the bench last night? If so why isn't he getting a chance? It's ridiculous!

I'm not a TC fan but he has 1 big game left to save our season and I don't know why but I'm quietly confident we will set things right on Saturday night. It will be good for our lads to go in as underdogs for once and I just hope TC doesn't get drawn into stupid mind games again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    Final ball = play maker, also how fit did new guy ryan look sligo obviously train better than De town do maybe couch should ask him how is he so fit when our lads aren't

He's a full time footballer.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hollocaine View Post

We went into a game a couple of weeks back to go 12 points clear. Before that game Cousins got rid of his right hand man. Since that game we've been in disarray and find ourselves 2 points behind and unless something drastic is done them 2 points will turn into 12 or more and Waterford and Mervue will finish ahead of us and us not even making the playoffs. Cousins picks the teams, he puts the players out there....and he's been putting the wrong team out! Fair enough Purdy hadn't done much earlier in season but for 3-4 games in a row he was left on bench while Shaw was started and to be honest Purdy has done more this season than Shaw. Gorman played at right back. No proven goal scoring striker signed to help out sully. He's lost the dressing room by looks of things. He should be picking the players up when things aren't going well but he's not. Against Mervue when we went a goal down instead of getting the players back firing he fell into his seat and suckle on a bottle. Looking at things we won't make playoffs unless he gets his act together.

21. Thanks From:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast