Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Series 22 and 19.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Is it not more of a case, CJ, that the people running the club are the ones who rescued it and now just can't let go, not that they're paranoid or greedy (jobs aside they have invested years of their lives fighting for Rovers). Knowing some of them I cannot fault them for their decency and love for the club, though maybe that love is going to protect the club long term. Now is the time to become self-sustainable for players etc, but I don't see that being implemented yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    I thought Crolly was a very poor choice at the start of the season, his interviews on MNS back it up, just never seems to be worried about the lack of wins, always going on about making chances, no good if you can't score, especially with the quality they have.

He is clearly not getting enough out of the players and seems unsure of his first xi. The quality on the bench is just ridiculous, almost all would walk into the top 4 sides starting sides, and yet if they lose to Dundalk next week, they will be 10 points behind us, and I'd say it will almost end their league euro hopes.

Simple logic, if you sack a manager, you need to have a better one lined up, and this just didn't happen. I know Rovers fans will not be thankful of Kennys reign, but its clear as day he is a much better manager than Crolly.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Extratime.ie has gone asleep. no updates since kick off in the Limerick v Derry City game and there is about 43 minutes gone now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Didn't think Rovers ever looked like scoring last night. Sligo definately had the better of the few chances. Croly made some odd tactical decisions to say the least. Our two centre halves held us together even if Oman couldn't pass water. Robinson a total passenger. Wingers playing on their weaker sides. Cretaro mom for me. Sligo still my choice for the league
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    Extratime.ie has gone asleep. no updates since kick off in the Limerick v Derry City game and there is about 43 minutes gone now.
    No updates till the second half in Longford yesterday because the reporter was at a GAH match.
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hoops1 View Post
    Didn't think Rovers ever looked like scoring last night. Sligo definately had the better of the few chances. Croly made some odd tactical decisions to say the least. Our two centre halves held us together even if Oman couldn't pass water. Robinson a total passenger. Wingers playing on their weaker sides. Cretaro mom for me. Sligo still my choice for the league
    I thought Cretaro was awful. Got himself into some great areas and messed up on numerous occasions.

We need to win in Derry on Friday to have any chance

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyahoga View Post
    No report up for Harps v Wexford either, which I haven't seen in quite some time.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Derry one up on Limerick. Listening along with 95FM. Sounds like dire stuff. Commentary team are being super-critical of Taylor and his tactics.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Derry one up on Limerick. Listening along with 95FM. Sounds like dire stuff. Commentary team are being super-critical of Taylor and his tactics.
    Limerick might just be starting to look over their shoulder slightly now after another defeat. Very tight at the bottom anyone could go down (not that limerick will) but they could be drawn into a scrap if they dont get a result soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    Is it not more of a case, CJ, that the people running the club are the ones who rescued it and now just can't let go, not that they're paranoid or greedy (jobs aside they have invested years of their lives fighting for Rovers). Knowing some of them I cannot fault them for their decency and love for the club, though maybe that love is going to protect the club long term. Now is the time to become self-sustainable for players etc, but I don't see that being implemented yet.
    Most are as you say are decent people who are also fans with a love for the club - my point is that they have taken the club as far as they are capable ( a couple of them could be kept) as they simply don't have the capability.

The issue is not any more simply that they choose the wrong manager twice - it's that they know they have missed a golden opportunity and are now operating under a siege mentality and are alienating much of the fanbase (who also dug deep into their pockets and time to save the club) reality is their time has passed so they should be thanked but they need to move aside voluntarily before being pushed.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Interesting to see the mentions of consistency. If anything, St Pats' consistency is being underestimated. They lost 2 of their first 4 while the new signings were settlng into tne team. Their record in the last 17 league games is:

- 12 wins
    - 4 draws
    - 1 defeat.

That one defeat was the direct result of having a player sent off in the first half while away to one of the other challengers. Any team can have a bad break like that, but you have to discount it when assessing their form.

In 14 games against the bottom 7 they have 13 wins and a draw. Unlike the other title chasers, they are ruthlessly efficient against the weaker teams.

The fact that some pundits (especially on MNS) are still touting the prospects of the two Rovers is a mystery to me. Sligo have the princely total of 16 points from their last 13 games. The Hoops have only won 8 out of 22 and are 10 points behind with a game more played. Neither has the remotest chance of winning the league.

Derry and Dundalk are the only realistic challengers, but unless Pats slump dramatically from their recent form they'll win it by a margin. If you disagree, the bookies are happy to offer you very generous odds.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsdad View Post
    Interesting to see the mentions of consistency. If anything, St Pats' consistency is being underestimated. They lost 2 of their first 4 while the new signings were settlng into tne team. Their record in the last 17 league games is:

- 12 wins
    - 4 draws
    - 1 defeat.

That one defeat was the direct result of having a player sent off in the first half while away to one of the other challengers. Any team can have a bad break like that, but you have to discount it when assessing their form.

In 14 games against the bottom 7 they have 13 wins and a draw. Unlike the other title chasers, they are ruthlessly efficient against the weaker teams.

The fact that some pundits (especially on MNS) are still touting the prospects of the two Rovers is a mystery to me. Sligo have the princely total of 16 points from their last 13 games. The Hoops have only won 8 out of 22 and are 10 points behind with a game more played. Neither has the remotest chance of winning the league.

Derry and Dundalk are the only realistic challengers, but unless Pats slump dramatically from their recent form they'll win it by a margin. If you disagree, the bookies are happy to offer you very generous odds.
    I certainly wouldnt write us out of it yet. Only 6 points back and beginning to get our full squad back fit finally. Still Pats to lose mind. All it'll take will be a Killian Brennan injury mind.....

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Sickend tonight. Thought we were on top and Derry looked tired until they scored. We were well out of it after that. Only a few signings away from being a very decent team though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    817 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Sickend tonight. Thought we were on top and Derry looked tired until they scored. We were well out of it after that. Only a few signings away from being a very decent team though.
    Ye've been lacking a clinical goal scorer all season, maybe ye should have kept Behan just as a back up, always good to have a plan B with 5 minutes left on the clock.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Definitely. An attacking midfielder, goalscorer and centre half and we will be a very handy side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts

- 12 wins
    - 4 draws
    - 1 defeat.

a bad break, he was lucky he didn't break the guys leg lol. I thought dlk had you well sussed that day and also the other time we beat you in Inchicore in the first series. I don't believe it is pats to lose, it is far too tight. Rovers and Sligo probably need to go on an 11 game winning run to win the league. Dundalk and Derry are definitely well capable of putting a decent run together. it is going to be I hope some finish to the season
    Long Live King Kenny

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Pats form has been excellent - hence they are top of the table and 5/6 favourites with Paddy Power

Other betting:
    2/1 Sligo Rovers
    6/1 Derry City
    11/1 Dundalk
    20/1 Shamrock Rovers

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Pats form has been excellent - hence they are top of the table and 5/6 favourites with Paddy Power

Other betting:
    2/1 Sligo Rovers
    6/1 Derry City
    11/1 Dundalk
    20/1 Shamrock Rovers
    Paddy Power isn't offering any odds on title npw - just who will finish bottom. I expect The Bit o'Red to win thier next five matches and we'll see where that takes us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dundalkfc10 View Post
    We have won 8 drew 1 and lost 1 of our last 10 games! Is that not consistency?
    Sorry compañero, consistency, by definition, is a season-long phenomenon. Though Bucko vs. Kenny will make for an intriguing Battle of the Bottlers.
    A leading authority on League of Ireland football since 2003. You're probably wrong.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by avvenalaf View Post
    Paddy Power isn't offering any odds on title npw - just who will finish bottom. I expect The Bit o'Red to win thier next five matches and we'll see where that takes us.
    Why do you say that?

The league title odds quoted are still live on their site this morning

http://www.paddypower.com/football/i...grp_ids=104106

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast