Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Limerick Desmond League 2013/14

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Is it true that Askeaton have folded? Awful shame if true, just shows what the wrong man controlling a club can do

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    FULL WEEKEND RESULTS

Saturday 28th September

FAI Youths Cup Preliminary Round
    Newcastle West 1 St. Brendans Park 6
    Newcastle West Rovers 1 Rathkeale 3

FAI Youths Cup 1st Round
    Granagh Utd 1 Killeaney 2

Youths Division 1
    Breska Rovers 2 Abbeyfeale Utd 1

Youths Division 3
    Pallaskenry 1 Ferry Rangers 3
    Carrig Celtic 6 Feenagh 0
    Ballingarry 2 Glantine 3

Sunday 29th September

Munster League Champions Trophy QF
    Newcastle West 3 Tramore 5

Munster Junior Cup Preliminary Round
    Shannonside 4 Athea Utd 0

Reidy Cup 1st Round
    Athea Utd B 3 Creeves Celtic 0
    Ballingarry B 1 Glantine 3
    Shountrade 4 Rathkeale B 1

Richard Hogan Cup 1st Round
    Glin Rovers B 3 Broadford Utd B 2

Premier Division
    Rockhill Rovers 0 Abbeyfeale Utd 8
    Broadford Utd 3 Glin Rovers 2
    Ballingarry 1 Rathkeale 1

Division 1
    Killeaney 0 Newcastle West Rovers 2
    Pallaskenry 4 Breska Rovers 2

Division 2
    Ballysteen 3 Kilcornan 4
    Feenagh 5 Adare Utd 2

Division 3
    Creeves Celtic B 2 Feenagh B 2
    Bally Rovers 3 Newcastle West Rovers B 5
    Carrig Celtic B V Shannonside B off

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Saturday 5th October

FAI Umbro U-17s Cup (et & pens) Killarney Celtic V Abbeyfeale Utd 230, Celtic Park, Killarney

Youths Division 1
    Newcastle West V Newcastle West Rovers 230 (P. O’Brien)

Youths Division 2

Askeaton V Rathkeale 230 (T. Fitzmaurice)

FAI Umbro Oscar Traynor Inter-League Cup, Group 2
    Galway League V Limerick Desmond, 730, Eamon Deacy Park

Sunday 6th October

FAI Umbro U-17s Cup (et & pens)
    Granagh Utd V Summerville Rovers 4pm (D. O’Gorman)

Reidy Cup 1st Round (et & pens)
    Knockaderry V Newcastle West Rovers B 1130 (E. Barrett)
    Newcastle West B V Abbeyfeale Utd B 230 (S. Hartnett)

Richard Hogan Cup 1st Round (et & pens)
    Ballingarry B V Athea Utd B 230 (L. O’Connor)

Division 1
    Breska Rovers V Askeaton 230 (G. O’Connor)
    Rathkeale B V Glantine 230 (P. Manning)

Division 2
    Ferry Rangers V Kilcornan 1130 (D. Wallace)
    Granagh Utd V Adare Utd 1100 (J. Roche)
    Feenagh V Creeves Celtic 1130 (P. King)

Division 3
    St. Itas B V Shountrade in Broadford 230 (J. Molyneaux)
    Carrig Celtic B V Broadford Utd B 230 (P. O’Donnell)
    Shannonside FC B V Feenagh B in Shanagolden 230 (C. Dalton)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Hopefully its not true that askeaton have folded as a junior team. Such great facilities down there. Who is the one man in that club? What's with Rock hill??? Another 8 goals conceded. Have to be the worst team to be in the premier division

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Ya its a pity, good facilities, the pitch could be better though. They were Premier only a few years ago. It wouldnt really be fair to mention his name, I'm just going on what I have heard from 2 lads that played there and left. Maybe someone closer to the club would know more than me. Langerdan?

Ya rockhill are getting some atrocious results, they are out of GAA arent they? So that cant be an excuse. Looks like NCW rovers are going to make a swift return to premier to replace them, they are going well. If Askeaton fold then does that just relegate them and 1 more team go down? Hopefully that will be Breska, they have given a couple of walkovers already, not fair on everyone else in the league, the league would be better off without them.

Feenagh going well in division 2, alot of teams wont want to see them coming up, no dressing rooms and a disgracefully bad pitch, especially in winter. A long drive for most teams as well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Can't see that being true about Askeaton, I know they're having a tough time at the moment but I also know they have players involved who would never leave the club down no matter how bad things are!
    Was at the Newcastle/ Tramore match, 5-3 isn't a fair reflection on the game. Newcastle led 1-0 through a C. McCoy header, Tramore then equalised soon after through a back post tap in. Newcastle then had the better of proceedings midway through the second half with P. Downes have a header go narrowly over from a great S. Hurley free kick 5 mins before A.Collins got the 2nd goal to make it 2-1 with a side foot lob over the keeper from the edge of the box after good play by S.Joyce & C.Whelan. Newcastle continued to play well and kept this scoreline until about 20mins from the end when a Tramore sub had a huge impact on the game; firstly he ran at the NCW defence and won a free kick on the edge of the box in a 50/50 challenge. Tramore scored direct to make it 2-2, then in a crazy 2 minute spell 5 minutes after conceding the equaliser NCW would concede 2 goals. The 3rd Tramore goal came from a long ball thrown from the keeper that went over the NCW left backs head straight to the striker who slotted it past the NCW keeper. Then straight from the kick off the ball was dispossessed off one of the NCW defence and fired to the back of the net to make it 4-2. Newcastle probed to get back into the game and in fairness never gave up even after the 2minute sucker punch and had a few half chances to pull a goal back. The aforementioned Tramore sub was to get the 5th and final Tramore goal after getting too much time on the edge of the box to fire a great shot to the bottom left corner of the NCW net. The final goal of the contest was a great volley inside the box from S.Joyce about 5mins from time.
    2 things learned from this match-
    1. Newcastle are by no means a team that is finished, plenty of games left in the season yet.
    2. Desmond League teams have nothing to fear from any of the 'Bigger Teams' in Munster!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbrown View Post
    Ya its a pity, good facilities, the pitch could be better though. They were Premier only a few years ago. It wouldnt really be fair to mention his name, I'm just going on what I have heard from 2 lads that played there and left. Maybe someone closer to the club would know more than me. Langerdan?

Ya rockhill are getting some atrocious results, they are out of GAA arent they? So that cant be an excuse. Looks like NCW rovers are going to make a swift return to premier to replace them, they are going well. If Askeaton fold then does that just relegate them and 1 more team go down? Hopefully that will be Breska, they have given a couple of walkovers already, not fair on everyone else in the league, the league would be better off without them.

Feenagh going well in division 2, alot of teams wont want to see them coming up, no dressing rooms and a disgracefully bad pitch, especially in winter. A long drive for most teams as well
    Nathan I wouldnt know exactly what the state of play is with Askeaton - I do know we signed 2 players from them last week and Ballysteen also signed 2 last week [Possibly a couple before the season started also] so the situation isn't great back there

When we played them last year they were a very young squad and it would seem that they've been struggling to get any sort of numbers to training this year and even getting numbers for matches has been a struggle
    As you said above it wouldnt be fair to mention his name but things didnt go bad overnight back there!

They are as I understand trying their best to stay going with a few lads previously involved with the club trying to get something going - they'd no game last week (I think to allow them time to try and consolidate) but have Breska away this weekend so I'd say that will tell alot about them but having lost 4 players last week alone is a bad sign - Sexyfootball if you read the notes of the Kilcornan-v-Ballysteen game I think you might be surprised by a few of the names who left Askeaton in the last week

It'd be a disaster for them to fold with them having some of the better facilities in the league (I see Feenagh's being mentioned also) - Would it simply be relegation though - I thought if a team folded they would have to start from the bottom again and work up?

Nathanbrown - Breska are a different prospect a the moment - was talking to a ref that did their game against Pallas 2 weeks ago and said they'd all their GAA players back and won well (Think it was in the Reidy) but with 2 walkovers given already (its 3 to be thrown out of the league isn't it) what happens when hurling rolls around again and Breska have nothing to play for with 3-4 games to go???? 1 more walkover and any points they take off teams between here and then will have to be given back to those teams - Division 1 is potentially in a huge mess this year!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Feenagh do have some changing rooms albeit containers, but that's all one club in Division 1 have as well and there is another club in Division 1 that don't even have that, as has been stated here a few times before. The pitch has been very poor the last two seasons but extra drains were layed in the off season and some re-seeding was done. Like a lot of small rural clubs there wouldn't be too many involved behind the scenes, the usual few keep the show on the road and fundraising is always an issue. Hope Askeaton and Breska get sorted.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Is the Gary Sheahan who has signed for Shannonside the same guy who played for Limerick and Wexford Youths ? If so, great signing.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Is it not the fella who used to play for glin and killeaney? Might have the wrong fella

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fanaticfan View Post
    Is it not the fella who used to play for glin and killeaney? Might have the wrong fella

Its definitely the lad who played League of Ireland - heard about it last weekend

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Same Gary Sheehan that broke his leg at Limerick going back 3 years maybe? He played his schoolboy football with Kilcornan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fifty50 View Post
    Same Gary Sheehan that broke his leg at Limerick going back 3 years maybe? He played his schoolboy football with Kilcornan

He scored a cracker in fairness.Its a pity the better Kilcornan players seem to opt to play elsewhere,
    there is a Dara Walsh playing with shannonside from there also.why is this?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaorta View Post
    He scored a cracker in fairness.Its a pity the better Kilcornan players seem to opt to play elsewhere,
    there is a Dara Walsh playing with shannonside from there also.why is this?
    fifty50 - The same man, a long time since he lined out for Kilcornan though i'd say 16's was the last time - he'd been training with the Limerick squad on and off - I was surprised when I'd heard he signed for Shannonside but he was without a club so I suppose it suited - the man in charge back there seems to have a way of convincing lads to sign although I understand a good few of last years squad have gone elsewhere

Jaorta - was that at the weekend he got the cracker I was told he scored alright - Darragh is playing above with Shannonside alright - he was part of our successful youth team of 3 years ago - played up along and that youth team provided a lot of players for both the A's & B's that got promoted 2 seasons ago
    Through one thing or another the majority left - some for Limerick FC - some returning to "home" clubs who didnt have an underage team which brought them to us at 14/15/16

Always disappointing though when you have local lads leave but young lads get their heads turned - Premier Soccer - hard to say why the opt to move on
    We've got a few in late this season and we're looking to push on from here - with the upgrade in the facilities and a good campaign we'll be looking to position ourselves as a club fella's want to sign for!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Langerdan007 View Post
    fifty50 - The same man, a long time since he lined out for Kilcornan though i'd say 16's was the last time - he'd been training with the Limerick squad on and off - I was surprised when I'd heard he signed for Shannonside but he was without a club so I suppose it suited - the man in charge back there seems to have a way of convincing lads to sign although I understand a good few of last years squad have gone elsewhere

Jaorta - was that at the weekend he got the cracker I was told he scored alright - Darragh is playing above with Shannonside alright - he was part of our successful youth team of 3 years ago - played up along and that youth team provided a lot of players for both the A's & B's that got promoted 2 seasons ago
    Through one thing or another the majority left - some for Limerick FC - some returning to "home" clubs who didnt have an underage team which brought them to us at 14/15/16

Always disappointing though when you have local lads leave but young lads get their heads turned - Premier Soccer - hard to say why the opt to move on
    We've got a few in late this season and we're looking to push on from here - with the upgrade in the facilities and a good campaign we'll be looking to position ourselves as a club fella's want to sign for!
    Good to hear things are on the upturn for Kilcornan,I cant understand the players who opt to go away from their own club and teammates
    I did hear the training regime in Shannonside is very good so maybe that attracts them.Its a killer to bring lads all the way through
    only for them to end up somewhere else.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaorta View Post
    Good to hear things are on the upturn for Kilcornan,I cant understand the players who opt to go away from their own club and teammates
    I did hear the training regime in Shannonside is very good so maybe that attracts them.Its a killer to bring lads all the way through
    only for them to end up somewhere else.
    A killer alright to bring them up to lose them

Heard here as well that is official that askeaton folded,I guess we'll see if they play breska Sunday

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think Askeaton are actually "gone" and I hope they dont. The LDFL needs all the well established club to continue to promote football. Great grounds there, one of the best in the league.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Galway 3-2 Desmond's

Sheahan and brosnan scorers

19. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in