Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Frank Stapleton

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

Frank Stapleton

Interviewed on the Off The Ball roadshow.......

http://media.newstalk.ie/mediamanage...format_itunes/

Compares his style to a current day.......erm.....yes you got it....Van Persie

Frank was a playground hero of mine, I know he gets stick for being a bit of a whiner (probably on the back of Charlton's comments post WC90) but he was a great servant for Ireland and a 1 / 3.5 games goal ratio pretty decent for the era.

I like the fact that he enforced the inclusion of an 'international release clause' in his contract when he signed for Man U from Arsenal. Similar to other stories of the time where players were very dedicated and proud in playing for the jersey.

Says that Charlton played him, Brady and Galvin in a friendly against West Germany pre WC1990 and 'set the team up to lose' in a roundabout way to get rid of the lads from WC90 squad. Galvin played well, Frank scored and Brady was subbed after 35mins.

Also played with Bergkamp at Ajax!
    Last edited by Junior; 19/07/2013 at 3:29 PM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Says that Charlton played him, Brady and Galvin in a friendly against West Germany pre WC1990 and 'set the team up to lose' in a roundabout way to get rid of the lads from WC90 squad. Galvin played well, Frank scored and Brady was subbed after 35mins.

!
    That was my first Ireland match seen in the flesh. We went down to Dun Laoghaire to pick up my dad from work and my mother told me to get out of the car and go meet him. Magic stuff.
    Stapelton sounds like a gigantic whinger I think because he's possibly the most boring man in the world. Friends of my dad lived near him in Artane and said he's drier than the Sahara.

Full respect for his achievements and efforts in the game though. There's a superb interview with him after Arsenal beat United in the FA Cup in the late 70s. He sounds like any young kid just excited to be playing the game and astonished at what he's achieved. It's really lovely.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Had a search around and found this one but Frank doesnt say much, though O'Leary does (its possibly not the right interview). Chippy, Stapleton, O'Leary interviewed from 1:58:00
    Both teams mingling and chatting freely after the game in the 'mediazone' , almost every player happy to give a few minutes to Martin Tyler, all downing pints of Milk! Both managers side by side giving their feedback just half an hour after the full time whistle....Simple times.........

I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    Some say he was super sub.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'The iconic Irish international and the unmitigated disaster of signing for Johan Cruyff's Ajax': http://www.the42.ie/frank-stapleton-...99190-May2017/

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Excellent pair of articles from The Football Pink on Stapleton
    Part 1 - Arsenal
    Part 2 - Manchester United
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

9. Thanks From:

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Interviewed on the Off The Ball roadshow.......

http://media.newstalk.ie/mediamanage...format_itunes/

Compares his style to a current day.......erm.....yes you got it....Van Persie

Frank was a playground hero of mine, I know he gets stick for being a bit of a whiner (probably on the back of Charlton's comments post WC90) but he was a great servant for Ireland and a 1 / 3.5 games goal ratio pretty decent for the era.

I like the fact that he enforced the inclusion of an 'international release clause' in his contract when he signed for Man U from Arsenal. Similar to other stories of the time where players were very dedicated and proud in playing for the jersey.

Also played with Bergkamp at Ajax!
    That's truth. Both Galvin and Brady were great. Stapleton could have played vs Egypt and Romania at the time, dont know if Stapleton and Quinn played alogside each other in a match.
    Big Jack should have taken Galvin and Brady there for David Kelly and Slaven in my point of view. Since McLoughlin took Waddock

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    The three were class. Stapleton if he was a player atm he could cost a fortune,,, the only player near him in his style is Luis Suarez, the uruguayan