Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wales V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 14th August 2013 - Friendly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Pretty decent first 11, the fools who come on and say we are made up of a championship team, can eat their humble pie now. We are an average European team at least, made up of players from the 2nd/3rd best league in the world. Its irrelevant that they dont play in the top 4. We are not a world power house.

I had a feeling that McCarthy would not get a move this year. Its looking increasingly like this. Hopefully a similar team starts in september.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joe_denilson View Post
    Leaving these lads on the bench
    Forde
    Randolph
    Kelly O'Dea McShane
    Keogh Hendrick Meyler McClean
    Green
    Sammon Madden

Not much strength in depth there.
    Forde is injured too - Henderson is in his place. We should have McGeady, Keane and Cox back for the qualifiers, and possibly Pilkington along with fringe players like Joey O'Brien, Kevin Doyle and Keith Andrews.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Forde is injured too - Henderson is in his place. We should have McGeady, Keane and Cox back for the qualifiers, and possibly Pilkington along with fringe players like Joey O'Brien, Kevin Doyle and Keith Andrews.
    Yes, I agree, it's not that bad. Average age of Starting XI 26. Would be good if they can cement their places for the Austria Sweden games tomorrow.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    That's probably as close as we'll get to the starting line-up for the double-header next month, with Keane, McGeady and (maybe) Pilkington the only likely replacements. Only one Championship player in the first XI: James McCarthy/
    Well Brady might still be classed as championship player given he has not played in a Premiership game this season!
    But on that basis you could say McCarthy is not really as championship player if he gets a move to a première club
    this season, although that now seems unlikely but we shall see, there are almost 3 weeks left. I doubt a bigger club will come in for him, but maybe one of the lesser clubs will make a late bid?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    a première club
    Ha, I like that. I think you've been watching too many ESPN streams!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    For a friendly international taking place at this time of year, that's a strong enough looking team. Fair play to Glenn Whelan on his 50th cap and all but tbh, before this time next year, I really hope someone/s will have made enough progress to viably ensure he doesn't collect much more of 'em.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Pretty decent first 11, the fools who come on and say we are made up of a championship team, can eat their humble pie now. We are an average European team at least, made up of players from the 2nd/3rd best league in the world. Its irrelevant that they dont play in the top 4. We are not a world power house.
    Why is it irrelevant that they don't play in the Top 4 ? Look at the English squad. Awash with Top 4 players and they have achieved what.? I am not sure where you get the 2nd/3rd best league in the world? You put a bottom half English team against a bottom half Spanish, French, Italian or German team and I'd know where my money would be. Who has disputed that we are an average team ? The point is that we have over achieved in our qualification campaigns to-date as an average European team. Why people thought an average team would beat 3 of the top 8 teams in the World at Euro 2012 still amazes me.

I still think it is too soon to put Robbie Keane out to grass. I just don't see goals without Robbie in the side. Why he would want to change the successful 4-4-2 system away from home I am not sure with our record away? Something else is desperately needed at home ok. Perhaps this formation is the solution.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,010 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Why people thought an average team would beat 3 of the top 8 teams in the World at Euro 2012 still amazes me.
    which posters thought this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Ha, I like that. I think you've been watching too many ESPN streams!
    I thought it was spelt with an e at the end but the only one on the spell checker list was the French version
    so I used that, despite how pretentious it looked!!

I do not even know how to type an è with that accent (which is a grave accent ) on the keyboard!

Although <Alt Gr>e give you é.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Jazz Richards called up by Wales. Is Dirk Diggler next?
    Just sounds like one of those names.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    165 Posts
    Why is it irrelevant that they don't play in the Top 4 ? Look at the English squad. Awash with Top 4 players and they have achieved what.? I am not sure where you get the 2nd/3rd best league in the world? You put a bottom half English team against a bottom half Spanish, French, Italian or German team and I'd know where my money would be. Who has disputed that we are an average team ? The point is that we have over achieved in our qualification campaigns to-date as an average European team. Why people thought an average team would beat 3 of the top 8 teams in the World at Euro 2012 still amazes me.

I still think it is too soon to put Robbie Keane out to grass. I just don't see goals without Robbie in the side. Why he would want to change the successful 4-4-2 system away from home I am not sure with our record away? Something else is desperately needed at home ok. Perhaps this formation is the solution.
    I think POS's point is that our player pool isn't necessarily as bad as it's made out to be. Some people think it's some kind of miracle that we can beat 5th seeded teams with such a collection of rag-tag, second-tier journeymen. Some people are disappointed that, with a core of proven EPL players, we can't compete against big teams like we did under McCarthy. It's somewhere between those two statements, really. Sweden are a renowned European team who qualify for almost every tournament. They have regular starters from Celtic, West Brom, Sunderland, Fulham and Norwich. Their central striker against us was a failure at Sunderland and plays for IFK Gothenburg. It's not just Irish players who have suffered from the growing gap between 'elite' clubs and their would-be competitors.

That we are an 'average' European team should mean that we are, like Switzerland, Bosnia, Czech Republic, and other third seeds, able to push for play-off spots and be competitive.

Very happy with this team, particularly the formation. It seems that Hoolahan's won the manager over, and that he's looked at the Austria game and decided, after all, that the midfield needs some help if we're going to compete in September. Though Keane will surely play that 'floating' role against Sweden if fit.
    Last edited by Supreme feet; 14/08/2013 at 1:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

I am hoping somebody like Madden can step up to the plate. 23 goals last season, albeit at a lower level, he has not been scoring so many of
    late, but I have still backed him to score the last goal at 8-1. Just hope he gets on the pitch lol.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Im stock un France guys,any links to thé game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Im stock un France guys,any links to thé game
    Has your predictive text function also gone Francophone as a result?

Plenty of links should appear on these sites later in the day:

http://www.footballstreaming.info/st...nks/index.html
    http://www.lshunter.net/
    http://www.wiziwig.tv/competition.ph...pline=football

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    A realistic and valid article about the game by Stephen Reid.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-29497300.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Pretty obvious. He didn't like getting hurt in a meaningless friendly?? No way!
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    To be fair, if you're Steven Reid, the simple act of tending to an itch must be thoughtfully considered in terms of avoiding injury. Nevermind participating in an international friendly.
    Last edited by Sullivinho; 14/08/2013 at 12:45 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Merci Danny now all i have to do is hide from thé in laws

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    the 10 premiership players picked tonight currently playing in the EPL are pretty much all we have there and of those probably 3 or 4 will be on the bench for their clubs this weekend. take a few out with injuries etc and its then that our lack of real quality in reserve that kills us. we also currently have no real stars in the positions that count that can get us over the qualification line.

yes we are an average european team which would place us somewhere between 18th and 36th of the 54 countries competing. only 16 are in the euros and even less in the wc. kinda illustrates that we are performing where we should be by getting to play-offs and ahead of where we should be by qualifying. its only when we dont get near the play offs that you can argue we are underachieving. fair play to the manager and players after all it appears so

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,747 Posts
    On holiday in rainy Sweden so will miss this one unfortunately. Happy with the selection. I think Owls Fan misunderstood Paul's point.

7 or 8 new faces since Poland 14 months ago, and some of these are genuinely exciting prospects and/or positive additions. I hope it all clicks and the likes of Brady and Wes make themselves certain starters next month.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast